"Edd, fetch me a block," and other book dialogue:

Davos is King

Eh, doesn't bother me that much. It's pretty much D&D teasing the book readers whenever they change a really beloved line from the books, such as "Your sister' instead of "Only Cat" for example. The scene was well handled even without that line.

I'd like it if they include Aemon's words before he dies. "Egg, I dreamed I was old". Oh the feels. I should think they will, considering I recall one of D&D saying that that is one of their favorite last words of any character in the series.

You say teasing, I say screwing with. What's the point? I missed that line.

Who cares if they changed the line? Kit nailed the moment, Dillane nailed the moment, the guy playing Janos nailed the moment. It was perfectly executed (excuse the pun).

Same with Littlefinger pushing Lysa out of Tully. It's not the line that matters, it's the moment. You just think the line's iconic cause you associate it with that moment in the story. There's nothing particularly great about the line "Ed, fetch me a block" or "only Cat", they'd actually probably sound quite awkward on-screen, and most of the unsullied would just be like "er, who's Ed again?" anyway.

You say teasing, I say screwing with. What's the point? I missed that line.

It's not wise to think that D&D are changing certain beloved moments or lines from the book just to actively spite the book readers or "screw" with them. So what if Jon didn't say the line? Is it the line that made the scene or the scene itself, and how it was executed? People watching probably don't know who Edd might be, or because Olly is his steward, there'd be no point to him calling to Edd. Yeah, it is a badass line, and I would've loved to see it, but It's not worthy of an upset. "Olly, bring me my sword" is fine enough.

I really don't understand why people get so worked up about stuff like this.

because there are specific parts in each of the books that different people enjoyed greatly. they want to see them on the big screen and when the scene is included yet the dialogue is changed without impact to the story, it is logical to ask why it needed to be changed.

People anticipate certain events happening and then when they don't it is a disappointment and potentially takes away impact from the scene.

I've written about this elsewhere, so I just quote myself:

So, some thoughts on those "iconic quotes" the series didn't show.

The main reason in the majority of the cases probably is that those quotes don't seem that iconic to the writers after all, and for good reason I think. "Only Cat" was mainly so memorable because it was used by the fans as some sort of headline for the scene as a whole. I admit it has more flavor to it than "your sister", but maybe the 5-10% unsullied viewers who understand the reference better due to the change are worth it...?

And as for "fetch me a block" - man this really isn't that great of a quote on its own, and certainly not better than "get me my sword". The reason for why it is so popular is mainly the circumstances: Jon's original intention to hang(?) Slynt, his second thoughts and finally the reveal that he intends to behead him himself. For the show this inner conflict would be very hard to bring across (though they could have done something along those lines), so they left it out and used whatever sentence served well for the scene. Maybe they didn't even remember the exact quote because it didn't occur to them that this very sentence might be of some importance to some (and why should they?)...

I have a feeling D&D change these lines needlessly because they want to be seen as the creators of HBO's A Game of Thrones and not the adpators of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

Yeah cause the average show watcher cares about stuff like that when they aren't even aware of the original line.

Absurd statement.

In the case of "Edd, fetch me a block", putting aside all the scenery of Jon cleaning his sword, which makes a nod to Ned in the first book after he killed the deserter, the phrase itself takes the reader by surprise a bit after he mentions this. "Edd, fetch me a block? A block? How can you hang a man with a b--- oh... he's beheading him? Like Ned. He's doing it on his own!". Even GRRM himself realised it was a mistake to make Jon hang Slynt instead of doing the work on his own*. We're supposed to come to that conclusion.

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better.

When I read in the books that he Slynt was going to be hanged, I was kind of like "wtf Jon, the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword", then he says "this isn't right" and preceded to behead him. That was really epic.

The scene in the show didn't really deliver, for me or my brother who was a non-book reader.

Yes, having Jon remember Ned's teachings and do the deed himself is so incredibly appropriate and another great bit of characterization...that was simply skipped in the show because characterization apparently doesn't matter.

Um... in the show Jon has internalized Ned's teachings so completely that he never considered another execution method. The show makes a clear callback to Ned beheading the deserter. The characterization is preserved.

Having Jon change his mind on execution method, especially if you can't see his thoughts, could make him look wishy-washy.

I saw a subtle nod.

Yup there was for sure a nod.

It was still done right imo. Stannis looking at him like that was pretty much a guy with game knowing game when he sees it lol. Kind of a "ata boy" type look

And Stannis wasnt really agreeing that he did the right thing by swinging the sword himself. He respected and thought highly of him making a move by not putting up with any crap, and getting rid of a loser like Slynt for trying to show him up. Stannis also knew how big a scumbag Slynt was.

In the books there is a great line when one of Slynts little followers is trying to make a case for him that he should be lord commander, and says something like "Who better to command the black then someone who has commanded the gold?"

Stannis......" Well anyone of you, even the cook"

love it. I do wish the show somehow at some point showed Jon Snow finding out that Slynt screwed Ned over

I preferred "your sister" to "only Cat," and I thought "Olly fetch me my sword" made more sense in the context of the scene, and was just straight up more badass.

If it had been written as "Edd, fetch me my sword," that would be what everyone who read it first thought was amazing, since it basically means the same thing: Jon's about to behead a bitch. And if the show changed it to "fetch me a block," everyone would be like "people won't know what a block is, the sword line was so cool! D&D are hacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111"

Having him tell that Olly kid to go get his sword made me wonder why he didn't have his sword with him in the first place. He just barely won an election against a guy who supposedly hates him, and Castle Black is crawling with Queen's Men and wildlings. He shouldn't have to have his newly made squire fetch his sword for him.

And I desperately wanted to hear the line.

As with most criticisms relating to the adaptation of the story from novel to screen, most of the arguments here in favor of "Edd, fetch me a block" neglect to consider the actual differences between the two mediums. The most obvious of all of these is that there are no POV characters on the show. We don't get inside the thought process of certain characters on the show like we do in the books. It's a very simple matter for GRRM to guide us along his POV characters' thought processes, because all he has to do is write in italics. How do D&D do the same? There is no simple way to show Jon, in the space of a few minutes, change Janos Slynt's method of execution from hanging to beheading because he remembers Ned's teachings on the matter. Not without revealing what is going on in his head. You could still portray it as it happens in ADWD, or you could show that he intends to behead Slynt from the outset, which they obviously chose to do. It is simpler, but not because they want to "dumb it down," )an accusation that a lot of people throw around without a care,) but because their medium demands a less nuanced depiction.

All this is not to say that I don't understand why people want it there. I would have been thrilled to hear the line myself, but I also recognize that when it comes to very specific wording of very specific quotes, any gripes that I have are basically nothing more than nitpicks as long as the actual scene achieves what event was taking place. I feel the same way about "Only Cat" versus "Your sister." The scenes both accomplished the necessary character and plot developments, so the actual words are less important.

I'm less bothered by the line change and more bothered by how rushed the sequence was. The speed with which the decision was made and the way it played out onscreen changes the subtext and context of it.

Book-Jon is shown to still be in the learning process of his leadership. He gives Slynt every chance to back down and do as he was told and takes time to consider his options. The whole point of Jon realising his mistake in asking for him to be hanged is the obvious callback to Ned's words. We're seeing his progression as a character, his arc in motion.

Show-Jon, meanwhile, makes his decision almost instantly without giving him any second chances. There's no development here. It's like the plot is just a collection of moments that haven't been earned.

Book-Jon carries out the execution in a professional and calm manner. The point here is to draw a distinction between this and some previously detailed botched executions and that his primary motivation is his duty as LC rather than any pre-conceived notions about Slynt.

Show-Jon, meanwhile, looks to be conducting a professional and calm execution right up until Slynt starts snivelling. Then he suddenly pulls a face and swings the sword with a lot of emotion on his face. Whether that was simply Kit's decision or in D&D's notes or at the guidance of the director, I don't know, but I don't think it was the right decision unless they wanted to portray Jon as feeling like he's getting some revenge for Ned.

And that's the key. To me, all the details I saw in the scene suggested they wanted to portray it as a revenge killing as much as his duty as LC, maybe more so. If they wanted that, then fine (though it's hard to put stock in the opinions of what was intended in people who have portrayed scenes of allegedly consensual sex as rape), but if not then they've screwed the scene right up.

Although, the omission of the line in question does bring up a different source of contention for me. The consistent marginalisation and inadequate portrayal of Dolorous Edd, who just appears to be like any other NW man.

I'm less bothered by the line change and more bothered by how rushed the sequence was. The speed with which the decision was made and the way it played out onscreen changes the subtext and context of it.

Book-Jon is shown to still be in the learning process of his leadership. He gives Slynt every chance to back down and do as he was told and takes time to consider his options. The whole point of Jon realising his mistake in asking for him to be hanged is the obvious callback to Ned's words. We're seeing his progression as a character, his arc in motion.

Show-Jon, meanwhile, makes his decision almost instantly without giving him any second chances. There's no development here. It's like the plot is just a collection of moments that haven't been earned.

Book-Jon carries out the execution in a professional and calm manner. The point here is to draw a distinction between this and some previously detailed botched executions and that his primary motivation is his duty as LC rather than any pre-conceived notions about Slynt.

Show-Jon, meanwhile, looks to be conducting a professional and calm execution right up until Slynt starts snivelling. Then he suddenly pulls a face and swings the sword with a lot of emotion on his face. Whether that was simply Kit's decision or in D&D's notes or at the guidance of the director, I don't know, but I don't think it was the right decision unless they wanted to portray Jon as feeling like he's getting some revenge for Ned.

And that's the key. To me, all the details I saw in the scene suggested they wanted to portray it as a revenge killing as much as his duty as LC, maybe more so. If they wanted that, then fine (though it's hard to put stock in the opinions of what was intended in people who have portrayed scenes of allegedly consensual sex as rape), but if not then they've screwed the scene right up.

Although, the omission of the line in question does bring up a different source of contention for me. The consistent marginalisation and inadequate portrayal of Dolorous Edd, who just appears to be like any other NW man.

Couldn't have said it better myself! I completely agree. Also, I didn't like or feel it was necessary to change Slynt into a sniveling coward at the end because I thought it made it look like, at the very end, he was executed for being a coward more than anything else.

As with most criticisms relating to the adaptation of the story from novel to screen, most of the arguments here in favor of "Edd, fetch me a block" neglect to consider the actual differences between the two mediums. The most obvious of all of these is that there are no POV characters on the show. We don't get inside the thought process of certain characters on the show like we do in the books. It's a very simple matter for GRRM to guide us along his POV characters' thought processes, because all he has to do is write in italics. How do D&D do the same? There is no simple way to show Jon, in the space of a few minutes, change Janos Slynt's method of execution from hanging to beheading because he remembers Ned's teachings on the matter. Not without revealing what is going on in his head. You could still portray it as it happens in ADWD, or you could show that he intends to behead Slynt from the outset, which they obviously chose to do. It is simpler, but not because they want to "dumb it down," )an accusation that a lot of people throw around without a care,) but because their medium demands a less nuanced depiction.

There is always a way to portray some kind of thought process. We can't hear exactly what it is but we can see that there is something going on in his head. It wouldn't have taken that long to show him give an order and then change his mind. Jon only has to loudly say "Wait! This is wrong!", followed by a short beat, then whatever line they want to change the book-line into. That's exactly how it is in the books. That at least lets viewers have a chance to work it out.

The best adaptations that remain faithful story-wise to the source material leave lots of little hints to things, which often means it has more ambiguity to it, but it becomes thought-provoking through its choices. Let The Right One In is a good example. It took the basics of the central relationship between Eli and Oskar and only hinted at the rest of this horrific story, leaving huge amount of ambiguity but a sense of something bigger.

GoT at the moment feels like it's forsaking everything except the goal of getting to the end of the story. It's as if they got to the end of ASoS and put together a basic plan based on what GRRM has told them about how it ends and tried to fit a huge jigsaw together with pieces that don't fit. I think character development is suffering as a result.

Archived