Why didn't Littlefinger have Catelyn spared during the Red Wedding?

mystickristoff

If I recall correctly, Catelyn wasn't meant to die. She was meant to be held a hostage I think. I could be wrong though.

Tywin mentions she wasn't supposed to die. She was originally supposed to be another hostage. It's tough to control yourself during a murder-orgy however, and when Catelyn killed Jinglebells, well, blood demanded blood.

Really though, she was kind of superfluous when they had Edmure, but you can't have too many hostages, especially female ones, who are generally considered easier to take/hold, and she represented another step in the claim ladder between the Blackfish and Riverrun, not to mention being Robb's mother, which I suppose gives her some small value in the North sentimentally.

I don't think Littlefinger had anything to do with the Red Wedding. He likely knew nothing of it.

And I'm pretty sure the ruthlessness of Tywin's character would have meant for Catelyn to die. Eliminating the competition of rival houses is something he has experience with. It's an effective strategy.

Because he wanted her to die for rejecting him, and already had his disgusting eyes set on Sansa.

This. There is a note that Littlefinger offered to marry Sansa before her marriage to Tyrion while Cat still lived. No matter what he tells Sansa he never forgave Cat for rejecting him. He want all who humiliated him humiliated and destroyed. Starks, Tullys and Arrys are leading the list and so far he is doing well.

EDIT: Though I also agree that he likely did not know about the RW.

I don't think that Petyr knew about the Red Wedding. Tywin surely wasn't chatting about it with everyone how he happened to meet considering that even Tyrion didn't know about it. And Tywin definitely wouldn't tell it to Littlefinger because his affection for Catelyn was known and Tywin would risk that LF might do something to thwart the plan. LF wasn't even in King's Landing around that time, was he? And I don't think that Catelyn was supposed to die anyway.

If I recall correctly, Catelyn wasn't meant to die. She was meant to be held a hostage I think. I could be wrong though.

I'm almost positive you are correct - but, in their frenzied bloodlust, once Cat killed Jinglebells, she got killed as a reaction to that.

Archived