2013 Reading Self-Challenge Thread

Inigima

I'm not setting an overall number, because I'm actually trying not to read X number of books this year as much as reading Y and Z types of books. So with that in mind:

Read at least 100 books in a language other than English.

At least 50 of those books being in Spanish.

At least 1/3 of my total books (and hopefully closer to 50%) to be written, co-written, edited, or co-edited by women.

ooh, that reminds me! Maybe I should also read a few books in a language other than English, that could be one of my goals too. :)

Honestly, apart from kids' books and school/work books (which I'm still not going to count, I only count the books I read for pleasure) I did not read one book in Greek last year, how pathetic is that? Something to rectify. Maybe.

ooh, that reminds me! Maybe I should also read a few books in a language other than English, that could be one of my goals too. :)

Honestly, apart from kids' books and school/work books (which I'm still not going to count, I only count the books I read for pleasure) I did not read one book in Greek last year, how pathetic is that? Something to rectify. Maybe.

That's me very much - not one in Hebrew or Russian last year...but whenever I sit down with that new novel from literary Israeli Writer X, is inevitably when i'm in the mood for a cheesy steampunk romance fix, and those still tend to come in English..;

My normal goal is one per week, and I've only met it once - last year, thanks to my kindle, I read 55 books. In 2007 I hit 51, but those are the only two times I've went over 50. So, once again I'll shoot for 52. If I break it again this year I'll raise my goal for next year.

Pre-Spawn I was reading over a book a week. Post-Spawn I'm lucky to get one done in two weeks. That said, I'll go for 30 books this year.

(I won't be counting every instance of 'Goodnight Moon' but that would help a lot. ;) )

I'm getting really fed up of being so tired from revision that I fall asleep before getting to read any of my book at night, so setting myself a goal might help me make time for reading again. Usually I can do about a book a week, but based on recent events I'll set a goal of 20. I've been reading the same book since Christmas Day - poor, poor effort. :frown5:

ETA: My Goodreads.

I set my goal for 80 again. I do a fair amount of rereads any given year which always go faster allowing a higher number of books. For specific goals I also will try to get the 50% by women author goals, though my history the last two years has shown repeatedly that like Larry, 33% is more likely attainable.

I really wish I could improve my Spanish enough to try tackling a few books in it, but even my copy of 'Eres tu mi Mama?' trips me up at places, so I have a long way to go on that.

Thanks to a similar thread one year ago in which I had no idea how many books I read that year (2011), I signed up for Goodreads last year. Now I know that I read at least 49 books in 2012, not counting "I'm Pregnant" and "What to Expect..." I also suspect that I forgot to record at least 2-5 books. Interestingly, I read fewer than 20 of those in the last six months, coinciding with an increasingly active baby.

I anticipate that baby's time demands will only increase, so I am going to set a modest goal of 30 books for 2013.

snow "let me tell you about my TV watching goals" leo

I wish I could read German well enough to explore German lit. Any German learners have a thought on how to improve my reading capability there? Maybe some beginner books :)

Read books you already know very well in English. The first book I read in Greek was 'The Hobbit'.

I'm in at 52. Mostly just to force me to keep a count. I didn't last year and wish I had, other than a stack of about 30 from aug-Sep . I figure I totalled between 80 and 100 but there were a lot of shorter books.

2012 was pretty good since I managed to finish some 15 books. I know it's few, but ever since I joined the workforce, reading times are confined to weekends (and then catching up on TV series or plain going out with friends will also fight for the time). I used to average 40 books a year when I was in college....

That said, I'll have a modest goal of 20 books this year. January started pretty well with more time to squeeze in reading. Hope it continues.

ETA: I also need to stop buying books, I have a pile of unread books waiting for me to catch up. :D

Archived