Sweet, sweet irony. Nom, Nom, Nom

Reek Da Villain

Bringing a thread down with a 'Well it's not strictly irony by the dictionary definition' is as much a downer as pointing out spelling mistakes. Just let me enjoy my Ned irony moment I don't even care if it's kosher.

A moment doesn't need to be ironic to enjoy.

Ima just going to sit here enjoying my non-ironic contribution to this thread.

You know I was the first to call you out on this not technically being ironic. However, as I stated before this is a thread for fun so it counts so everyone get off his back.

Lets see something ironic... Jon can't spar with joffery.

Executing Gared hardly aided the forces of chaos at all.

If Gared's intel had been believed by the NW and Ned, he would have never left for KL and Robert would have probably lived through the Winter and aided the North as King of actually all of not-war-torn Westeros. The only remaining chaotic component would have been Dany and Aegon. And even those two would have seen the wisdom to wait for a post-Winter war when Westeros' resources would have been properly exhausted.

So yes, Gared's knowledge never making it anywhere aided chaos. Whether Gared would have ever been taken seriously, even without his execution, is the question. Not that we would be reading LOTR-ASOIAF if he did.

If Gared's intel had been believed by the NW and Ned, he would have never left for KL and Robert would have probably lived through the Winter and aided the North as King of actually all of not-war-torn Westeros. The only remaining chaotic component would have been Dany and Aegon. And even those two would have seen the wisdom to wait for a post-Winter war when Westeros' resources would have been properly exhausted.

So yes, Gared's knowledge never making it anywhere aided chaos. Whether Gared would have ever been taken seriously, even without his execution, is the question. Not that we would be reading LOTR-ASOIAF if he did.

There is no reason to believe that Ned still wouldn't have headed South, as how he already had an idea that the Wildlings might invade yet he still went south. Moreover, even if Ned believed him Ned would still have executed Gared. Moreover, IIRC Ned informed Benjen about Gared's ramblings thus still were brought to the NW's attention.

This (very much! :lmao:):

Jon not being allowed to fight Joffrey because "bastards can't hit a prince" :lol:

and this:

I hope your princess dies.

And Tyrion almost getting eaten by a lion in Meereen.

Way too much discussion on whether Ned's case is ironic. There are so many different types of irony that it boils down to personal opinion.

For me, Ned having his head being chopped off with the same sword he used to chop heads is ironic. The reason for the executions is not.

Bringing a thread down with a 'Well it's not strictly irony by the dictionary definition' is as much a downer as pointing out spelling mistakes. Just let me enjoy my Ned irony moment I don't even care if it's kosher.

Sorry dude I didn't really care about your case not being ironic until you guys started wasting space arguing about it. Obviously trying to end it with a simple definition didn't work though... That's ironic

Please, don't kill me but:

Jon first appareance: watching a desertor of Night's Watch being executed. Last appareance: executed, desertor of Night's Watch.

Jaime losing the hand he used to cripple Bran.

The hand that threw Bran from the window, and the hand that slew the king. He lost the appendage that committed probably his best and worst acts.

Would any of the fates of the Direwolves be considered irony?

Nymeria forced to escape and hide and find a new "pack", same for Arya

Arya only wants to get home and is forced to flee

Lady getting killed by Ned, and Sansa's hopes of being a Lady (her dream version) being dashed

Sansa only wants to be a proper Lady with a charming Prince for a husband

etc.

Additionally, since the expectations of having a direwolf is for personal protection, and in most cases has only lead to trouble and danger... and that been foretold by the adopting and naming of the direwolves in the first place

Would any of the fates of the Direwolves be considered irony?

Nymeria forced to escape and hide and find a new "pack", same for Arya

Arya only wants to get home and is forced to flee

Lady getting killed by Ned, and Sansa's hopes of being a Lady (her dream version) being dashed

Sansa only wants to be a proper Lady with a charming Prince for a husband

etc.

Additionally, since the expectations of having a direwolf is for personal protection, and in most cases has only lead to trouble and danger... and that been foretold by the adopting and naming of the direwolves in the first place

Exactly! :bowdown:

Especially when it comes to Arya/Nymeria. Nymeria by now got a bigger wolfpack than ever seen; Arya constantly looses her company. Nymeria never wanted to leave Arya and get a new pack; everything Arya ever wanted is to get back to her family.

Archived