The Hateful Eight- Tarantino's New Movie

AndyBaelish

6 hours ago, Relic said:

I think it's kind of lame some of you are choosing to believe Sam Jackson lied about his "dingus" story. It smacks of a desperation to find a hero in a story without heroes. I think any doubt about whether or not his story is true is removed when he is shot in the nuts.  

Eh he's still a shitty person regardless of if its true or not. It's clearly open to interpretation. 

I got the vibe watching that he killed Chester but exaggerated the story to get the general to draw down, nothing I've read since has gotten me to change my mind on that.

Just as I've seen many people say Warren getting shot in the nuts is confirmation he raped Chester, I kinda feel like Warren getting called out on his Lincoln letter lie literally the scene right before shooting the general is pretty telling. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Eh he's still a shitty person regardless of if its true or not. It's clearly open to interpretation. 

I got the vibe watching that he killed Chester but exaggerated the story to get the general to draw down, nothing I've read since has gotten me to change my mind on that.

Just as I've seen many people say Warren getting shot in the nuts is confirmation he raped Chester, I kinda feel like Warren getting called out on his Lincoln letter lie literally the scene right before shooting the general is pretty telling. 

Yeah i agree with you. Its supposed to be left open to interpretation, but either way it serves its purpose of reminding us this is the HATEFUL Eight. These guys are all pretty vile. And irrespective of that, i found that scene, while disturbing,one of the most captivating in the film. I zoned out everything else entirely, and when interlude came straight afterwards i felt a bit bemused. Great work, from the delivery by Jackson to the backing music, the camera work. All brilliant 

I agree with Mark, I think the validity of Warren's story is meant to be ambiguious. I believe it though.

Its interesting how different hateful is to the last 2 films, which were historical revenge fantasies. Hateful is an historical revenge nightmare, as if samuel beckett decided to do a western. Russell and Jackson were magnificent especially Jacksons 'johnson' monologue but I doubt that monologue went down well with white male audience.._

I'm a white male and thought it was the best scene in the movie :D

Ya. I don't think it's lame - it's open to interpretation and is clearly ambiguous. I think he got shot in the nuts because that was practically the only place he could be shot from beneath. 

I also it's clear they're all hateful either way anf none of them are heroes. It's lame to judge people and call them desperate for having a different interpretation of a movie than you if im being honest lol. 

It's been said before, but I think the important thing in this discussion is really whether or not you actually believe Major Marquis is capable of what he claims to have done to the general's son, rather than whether or not he actually did it. I think all of us can agree that the Major certainly has the nastiness in him to commit such an act. 

Whether or not events actually transpired as in his tale is left ambiguous though. I think both sides have made good points, but in the end it's open to interpretation. Personally, I think he was lying when he talked about the rape, but that's mainly me thinking that forced fellatio is a good way to get your dick bitten off, especially in such a life or death situation. 

26 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It's lame to judge people and call them desperate for having a different interpretation of a movie than you if im being honest lol. 

I didn't call anyone desperate. I said the act of looking for a hero in this movie is kind of lame, and sort of desperate.

In fact, i don't understand how anyone can actually enjoy this film, given how despicable everyone in it (other than a few innocent bystanders) is. I felt uncomfortable for the entire duration of the movie, wishing the cabin would just burn down thus sparing me the displeasure of having to spend any further time with those "people". 

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

I didn't call anyone desperate. I said the act of looking for a hero in this movie is kind of lame, and sort of desperate.

In fact, i don't understand how anyone can actually enjoy this film, given how despicable everyone in it (other than a few innocent bystanders) is. I felt uncomfortable for the entire duration of the movie.

What made me more uncomfortable was the cinema audience when I was watching. They were very responsive, which was fine...but, they were laughing at some questionable moments. Oh, a woman getting her face beaten for talking out of turn, fucking hilarious right? :dunno: I have no problem with the audience being responsive (I was with the in the collective "euuurrrghhhh" when there was the blood vomitting scene) but some of the stuff they laughed at had me scratching my head 

I am about as feminist as they come within reason and I laughed my ass off a few times in the cinema. I get pissed off when female characters are reduced to just being that. Female. She was hit in the face because she was a criminal pain in the ass and Russel had some hilarious one liners . the humour didnt come from any 'haha what a dumb bitch men are better than women learn your place'  bullshit misogynistic place. In fact part of the humour came from a few moments when daisy was referred to as a lady when shr was anything BUT

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

If a (white) male prisoner was being beaten in the same way, I doubt you'd see anyone complaining about it... Daisy wasn't being beaten for being a woman, but for being a criminal.

I wouldn't find it particularly funny though. My complaint was that it seemed an inappropriate point to laugh at. Especially given this is at the start of the movie - for all anyone knows Daisy is actually innocent at this stage.

And Daisy was beaten for speaking out of turn. I didn't mean it was because she was a woman (I said "a woman" because her name slipped my mind), but it was for speaking out of turn.

Eta; feel I should point out again though that I did really love this film, these were just a few things that bothered me 

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Why is this called QT's 8th movie when he has written and directed more than 8 movies. Is it his 8th original screenplay that doesn't include sequels?

It is his 8th film that he directed solely that got a wide theater release.

1. Reservoir Dogs

2. Pulp Fiction

3. Jackie Brown

4. Kill Bill I

5. Kill Bill 2

6. Inglorious Basterds

7. Django Unchained

8. The Hatefull 8

His other films were either as a bit director or part of a conglomeration of directors so they aren't solely his movies like Grindhouse/Death Proof, Four Rooms, ect...

He doesn't count the movies he's only written the screenplay for and he only counts the ones he has directed. Kill Bill is counted as one movie, so Hateful Eight is definitely the eight one.

Anyway, I've had some time to melt the movie and it's actually growing a bit more on me. At first one of my criticisms was that it only takes place at one location and that it feels like the story didn't really progress. But thinking a bit more on it, I kind of liked what we got, even though I think it had more potential. The story was about these hateful characters in this unusual setting, and as always we got some memorable dialogue. It's not one of Tarantinos best movies, but not the worst either (that title will have to go to Death Proof). It's definitely one of the best movies this year, and it's kind of weird that it didn't get a nomination for Best Screenplay this year.

Archived