Stannis, Victarion or Kevan - Who is/was the most dutiful younger brother?

The Onion Sleight

Stannis betrayed Robert, he knew Joffrey and his kin were bastards and did nothing, and then left believing those that killed Jon Arryn were guarding and in Robert's bed. Stannis is a good king, but a bad brother.

I think people tend to exaggerate how "badly" Robert treated Stannis. If anything, Stannis is lucky he ended up with with Dragonstone after the rebellion. Robert wasn't an asshole to Stannis, he was more of just a neglectful brother.

I'd put Vic on top, then Stannis, and finally Kevan.

Kevan, of course. He never even expresses any ill will towards his brother and ended up dying in the line of duty.

Stannis abandoned his brother when he discovered the incest plot and was forever bitter with him about Storm's End going to Renly. His only reason for remaining true was his iron sense of duty and loyalty.

Victarion was constantly humiliated and trumped by his brother and has frequently contemplated rebelling, taking the dragons for his own, and getting his revenge, not that anyone would blame him.

Renly did a worse thing to Stannis than what Stannis did to Renly.

Stannis did not betray Robert, he did what he could do. We all know that Robert would not believe him, so he prepared whatever way he could and protected himself, otherwise he would end up dead like Jon Arryn. He certainly didn't betray Robert. However, Stannis' devotion to Robert was strictly out of duty, while Kevan's to Tywin and Vic's to Balon was also out of love. Vic's to Euron is non-existent, as he is going to betray him and he doesn't want to be a kinslayer and godless man.

Renly did a worse thing to Stannis than what Stannis did to Renly.

Stannis did not betray Robert, he did what he could do. We all know that Robert would not believe him,

No. We all know that Stannis fled King's Landing and didn't share his knowledge with Robert until his death. Those are facts. Some assume that Robert wouldn't believe him. That's a speculation. There is a difference.

Vic, without a doubt. He refrained from killing Euron, after he'd seduced his wife. It doesn't get much more dutiful than that.

But Victarion is going to steal the woman that Euron sent him round the world to bring for him, and he plans on using the Valiryan dragon horn to overthrow Euron to win the seastone chair,

1. Stannis. Despite Robert continually screwing him over (more or less abandoning him at Storm's End for a year, praising Ned for the salvation of the castle, giving Storm's End to Renly instead, blaming Stannis for the Targaryens escaping, Robert banging a Florent in Stannis's own bed, etc.), Stannis remained a dutiful younger brother. Stannis risked everything he had to support Robert in the rebellion and got no credit whatsoever. He harbors great resentment, but "dutiful" is Stannis in a nutshell.

2. Kevan. I'd rank him #1 if he'd endured even half of what Stannis had in service of his brother, but Kevan has never had to make those difficult choices.

3. Victarion. If it were strictly Balon, he'd be probably higher, but as Euron is older than he is, too, then it balances out to a bottom ranking.

No. We all know that Stannis fled King's Landing and didn't share his knowledge with Robert until his death. Those are facts. Some assume that Robert wouldn't believe him. That's a speculation. There is a difference.

What we all know is that Stannis shared his knowledge (suspicions, at the least) with Jon Arryn, Hand of the King and a man whom Robert would most likely believe (certainly more than Stannis). And when this man "got sick and died" (before sharing the knowledge with the King but after meddling in those affairs), Stannis, fearing for his own safety - which was nothing more than natural under those circumstances - fled. There is a difference.

It's absolutely preposterous to exclude Vic for thinking about maybe working against Euron, and yet not take into account the fact Stannis killed Renly, simply because Stannis was the 2nd brother and Vic the 3rd.

I'm not sure I follow. Stannis is not younger than Renly.

Tywin would never do this or want to do this to Cersei.

If Tywin rise from his tomb and see what Cersei did with his "legacy", I'm sure he would have punish her even more. She's lucky Kevan didn't cut off her tongue and send her to the silent sisters IMO

I think it's Stannis. Unlike the rest he didn't have a good relationship with his older bother, which makes him even more loyal to his brother. He held Storms End for Robert, and when given Dragonstone he still did his duty to Robert and helped him with the Greyjoy rebellion, and remained on the Small Council as Master of Ships.

I agree with this. They are all certainly dutiful. I would say Kevan least so just because he was never faced with any challenges to the level of the other two. For Vic, serving the same man (Euron) that seduced his wife is quite ridiculous, but it seemed he didn't kill Euron for Balon/fear of being a kinslayer. He's not very intelligent, so that makes it less challenging IMO as well.

As for Stannis...he does not have love for Robert, but he does his duty all the same and always has. First he agreed to be a part of the Rebellion, which he only would have done for his brother. The Storm's End siege sounds pretty intense too, but he wasn't going to break it until they literally starved b/c Robert told him to hold it. Then he took Dragonstone as his seat when he was basically entitled to Storm's End. Now he's pursuing the throne out of duty only as well. I think it has to be Stannis.

Archived