Exodus Gods and Kings

Calibandar

Is not slightly fucked up that in this day and age a film about Egyptians and Middle Easterners has a main cast of Brits, Americans and Australians?

But then I am generally in favour of Ability over Appearance when it comes to casting

Is not slightly fucked up that in this day and age a film about Egyptians and Middle Easterners has a main cast of Brits, Americans and Australians?

But then I am generally in favour of Ability over Appearance when it comes to casting

Well it has Ben Kingsley who seems to be the go to guy for playing egyptians so it's not like it works well when Hollywood goes out of its way to do so. I try not to get too hung up about it though -especially with ancient egypt which was a melting pot of ethnicities anyhow.

The trailer looks ok. I like having the connection between protagonist and antagonist and I also like how it appears that God is a real entity and causing crazy things to happen.

It all boils down to the screenplay though. Scott's filmography clearly shows he can direct the shit out of anything yet seems to be blind when it comes to telling a bad/mediocre screenplay from a bad one. Steven Zaillian has turned in some great screenplays but also a lot of "ok" ones.

It'll probably be better than Noah though.

• 1 month later...

Reviews just starting to roll in for this. Sadly, not many of them good.

Over at io9, Annalee Newitz absolutely hated it. I did like her Smaug reference, though, quoted for your pleasure...

Maybe part of the problem is that this movie that profoundly misunderstands the God of the Old Testament. In the original book, we're dealing with a God who cannot be embodied — he even forbids the creation of "graven images" as blasphemy. He speaks to Moses from a burning bush as nothing but a voice because he is abstract righteousness, totally unrepresentable as anything other than the words "I am." But in the movie Exodus? He comes to Moses in the form of a little boy. It's like some kind of new age Christian interpretation of God. Tonally, nothing could be more wrong. God in the Old Testament is like an invisible, heavy metal version of Smaug — all fire, all power, all violent badass stormbringing. He is anything but humble and childlike. The Old Testament God of brutality and might is exactly the kind of entity that the humbled, degraded, shackled Hebrews need on their side. Who else could help them defeat the greatest empire on Earth at the time.

Definitely plan on seeing this, however bad the reviews.

I've heard it's pretty awful, judging by the reactions of some of the reviewers I follow on twitter. It has been interesting to see Ridley Scott's reaction to the controversy surrounding the casting of this film, I personally think it's bullshit. This is a thing Scott has actually said

“I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such.

There are plenty of articles going to town on Scott regarding the casting, I'm probably with them on that count. Might still try and catch the movie if it's out here, though it might be worth it to wait for the DVD or something.

What did ancient Egyptians look like, by the way? I'm sure they didn't look like modern Caucasians, but did they look like modern Egyptians?

This also comes up regarding the hypothetical Cleopatra movie starring Angelina Jolie, even though Cleopatra herself was an inbred Macedonian Greek.

I've heard it's pretty awful, judging by the reactions of some of the reviewers I follow on twitter. It has been interesting to see Ridley Scott's reaction to the controversy surrounding the casting of this film, I personally think it's bullshit. This is a thing Scott has actually said

“I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such.

There are plenty of articles going to town on Scott regarding the casting, I'm probably with them on that count. Might still try and catch the movie if it's out here, though it might be worth it to wait for the DVD or something.

Totally agree that this is a bullshit (and pretty racist) response to the accusations of racism. What an asshole.

From the reviewers I've seen its not been terrible. Its just that in someone elses hands it would have been fairly average film but compared to the rest of Ridley's films it (along with Robin Hood) is starting to suggest that he may be losing the skill that made earlier films such classics

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it last night. I didn't think it was bad, it was just not great, kind of meh. I might be one of the few who actually liked Noah, which I thought was much better than this. The effects were good and it was beautiful, but had some weird choices that might have contributed to the hollow feeling.

What did ancient Egyptians look like, by the way? I'm sure they didn't look like modern Caucasians, but did they look like modern Egyptians?

This also comes up regarding the hypothetical Cleopatra movie starring Angelina Jolie, even though Cleopatra herself was an inbred Macedonian Greek.

I wonder the same thing. Ancient Egyptians probably looked different than they do now and they obviously weren't white. I saw a video with a gentleman who was very upset at the fact there were no black actors playing Africans.

Man, his reasoning isn't that bad, hard to get funding with discrimination against casting, but his wording is terrible. I don't get why though people will hated if you cast Egyptians playing Egyptians.

Friend saw it and told me what reviews say: cool special effects, and that's pretty much it.

And yeah, having Moses played by Christian friggin Bale in all his Welsh accented glory is as silly as, say, having Napoleon played by a japanese.

I wonder the same thing. Ancient Egyptians probably looked different than they do now and they obviously weren't white. I saw a video with a gentleman who was very upset at the fact there were no black actors playing Africans.

They weren't black also, as the dinasty from Nubia that ruled for some time was known as the black pharaohs and painted differently in the tombs( black skin instead of orange/ yellow)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Dynasty_of_Egypt

Probably the ancient Egyptians were of Semitic origin, but there were several invasions by different civilizations, both from east and west, so no one can know truly.

Archived