Release of Book 5

Joffrey2016

That raises three questions:

1) Did he actually saying "shoveling snow"!

2) Do you think he knows that's code for hik doing piles of cocaine

3) If 2, do you think he was driven to the coke because his mean, mean editor actually made him do his damn job?

July 21st, 2010

Snowing heavily in Santa Fe, however, and I've been on a bit of a roll. I'll get to all that other stuff when I can. Kong comes first.

Pat's just died. A quick death, but a messy one. Ugly, painful, humiliating. But hey, he earned it.

Off I go to shovel Snow.

July 25th, 2010

And here I sit at my computer, still shoveling Snow. And snow. The snow won't stop. The squids don't like it much.

December 16th, 2010:

It's snowing.

On Jon. On the krakens. On me.

We all slog onward.

Finished a chapter a few days ago. Revised another. Then re-revised it.

[mod] Discussion of the ADWD release is fine. Discussion of TWOW progress is not. This isn't the right area of the board, and there is presently no news to discuss anyway. Any such posts will be removed.

Similarly, keep comments about the next season of the show to the show forums. Thanks. [/mod]

That happened and half the board acknowledges it. Thank you for playing!

I don't know about half the board, but I do know there are always going to be fans who don't understand what insanity is or don't read the text very well.

Luckily there are the actual chapters that clearly show Daenerys is not insane, and many on the board who hesitate to use the word evil for anyone, even for people like Tywin, the Ironborn, the Boltons...

I don't know about half the board, but I do know there are always going to be fans who don't understand what insanity is or don't read the text very well.

Luckily there are the actual chapters that clearly show Daenerys is not insane, and many on the board who hesitate to use the word evil for anyone, even for people like Tywin, the Ironborn, the Boltons...

Dany isn't a kitten, but she's far from evil. She is a real threat to humanity itself, and westeros, but who isn't these days LOL

Oh my sweet summer child... What do you know of suffering? Suffering is for the long wait, my little lord, when the crackpots post a hundred threads deep and football stories come howling out of the notablog, when the publishers hide their faces for years at a time, and little children watch HBO and read threads on Westeros.org and die all in darkness...

:bowdown:

Lol.

I know, right? :mellow:

It's a high number admittedly, but I'm about to begin my 7th. And I've lost track of how many times I've gone through the audiobooks over the years.

Oh my sweet summer child... What do you know of suffering? Suffering is for the long wait, my little lord, when the crackpots post a hundred threads deep and football stories come howling out of the notablog, when the publishers hide their faces for years at a time, and little children watch HBO and scan Westeros.org and die all in darkness...

Wow. Fine, fine work.

I'm glad all of The Dark Tower was released before I started reading and only had to wait for the last release of the sub-par final books of Wheel of Time series. Only want to be waiting impatiently for one series, this one namely. If I added more I'm not sure I could tolerate the frustration.

So where did you guys first hear that aDwD was going to be released? When you guys were waiting for it, was GRRM's Blog the first place to report that it was finished?

Here and on his Not Blog. It was pretty big news 3 or 4 Marches ago

So where did you guys first hear that aDwD was going to be released? When you guys were waiting for it, was GRRM's Blog the first place to report that it was finished?

I suppose "Not A Blog" was the primary source of information. I was checking it every day around this time. But the editors announced(again) a release date before it was actually finished. It was March 3rd, 2011. And maybe Elio and Linda were also feeding some news.

• 2 weeks later...

ADWD wasn't on the publisher's calendar until it was. When it's ready, it's ready. And it could happen quickly, but:

As you know, I don't outline my novels. I find that if I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it. -GRRM

That being said, GRRM has already convinced us to enjoy suffering. His books have acclimated the fandom to a life of pain. So at least, there's that. Now the pain leaps off the page to tower over us as we wait for answers that never come. :smileysex:

Didn't he have to provide an outline to HBO though?

Doesn't disprove the quote entirely, but.....

Once he announces the book is finished, I assume it would only be a few months until you have it on shelves.

Are there any others who actually enjoy having a gap between books? Obviously 5-6 years is a long time (perhaps too long) but seriously where would this community be without it? People would not be nearly as invested, as analytic, etc, if the gap was say, one year apart. Part of the reason I think the series is so successful is the amount of obsessions fans have precisely because they have to wait. Just my thoughts

Once he announces the book is finished, I assume it would only be a few months until you have it on shelves.

Are there any others who actually enjoy having a gap between books? Obviously 5-6 years is a long time (perhaps too long) but seriously where would this community be without it? People would not be nearly as invested, as analytic, etc, if the gap was say, one year apart. Part of the reason I think the series is so successful is the amount of obsessions fans have precisely because they have to wait. Just my thoughts

I can't imagine people would be less happy in any way. I think that if there was a huge gap between books 2 and 3, people would have been pretty upset at all of the cliffhangers. As it turns out, book 3 moves really fast because of all of the loose ends being tied up. I think book 2 is the best in the series. I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much if I stuck on it forever.

Archived