Is it Stannis duty to please that booty?

Stannis Baratheon has been married to his Florent wife for many years but only has produced one child a sweet girl but sickly effected with greyscale, everyone speaks about how honorable Stannis is and how hes all about his duty but what about his duty to his wife and family name?

The only baratheons remaing at the end of ADWD is Stannis and his daughter not counting Roberts bastards, but yet he hasent been making love to his wife every day and night trying to produce a son perhaps? Stannis should already have 4 to 5 kids ...... OK his wife is ugly and has a mustache grose I know but still man do your duty and get her with child before the Baratheons of SE are no more.

It's possible Selyse or Stannis have trouble conceiving. They mention how Stannis does his husbandly duties about once a year, which isn't really the smart thing to do. But up to about 2 years before where we currently are in the series, the Baratheons weren't in danger of becoming extinct. Robert had three kids, Stannis had one, and was young enough to keep trying for the next ten or so years, and Renly was young and unwed. Unfortunately House Baratheon basically collapsed in on itself.

Great thread title, btw.

a) Stannis is true king because he only does his duty

B ) but what about...?

a) that was his duty because in the bigger picture it helps him be king, which is his duty.

b ) but how does...?

a) as he is true king, everything he does is therefore on behalf of his duty.

----------------------

1) Stannis kills anyone who gets in his way.

2) wrong, Stannis only kills criminals.

1) what about when he killed...?

2) they were criminals. Treason is a crime.

1) treason?

2) yes, they tried to get in Stannis' way. Stannis is the true king, so anyone who gets in his way is a traitor.

--------------------------

After a while you get used to these kinds of lines of reasoning.

The title thread!!!

Yea at this rate Baratheons of SE are gonna go extinct.

This is literally why GRRM created Edric Storm and spirited him away to Essos. He's one royal decree away from being named Edric Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End, and the line of Storm Lords will get an instant jumpstart.

This is literally why GRRM created Edric Storm and spirited him away to Essos. He's one royal decree away from being named Edric Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End, and the line of Storm Lords will get an instant jumpstart.

Possibly. I think Edric's role was more about giving Stannis a moral dilemma, and Davos a character defining moment. I could see it going either way wrt Edric appearing again. :dunno:

Second this. Currently their are no male heirs to inherit the Baratheon lands and titles. Even if Stannis becomes king and Shireen Queen after him, they still need a Baratheon to hold SE. Robert left two brothers who could hold the seat of their forefathers, but Stannis has no one.

Second this. Currently their are no male heirs to inherit the Baratheon lands and titles. Even if Stannis becomes king and Shireen Queen after him, they still need a Baratheon to hold SE. Robert left two brothers who could hold the seat of their forefathers, but Stannis has no one.

Um, he doesn't need a male heir. He has Shireen. Do you think the Starks had a male heir every generation for 8000 years? Shireen would just keep the Baratheon name, and pass it to her children.

In the show (Season 2, I think) Seleyse (spelling?) had a number of babies in bottles - so I assumed she was deeply mentally scarred by the issue of constantly birthing still borns.

I suspect Stannis tried to do his duty as a husband on many occasions and the continued effort led to his wife becoming more and more depressed and angry, to the point he doesn't want to try anymore.

Which duty is more important, fathering a heir or protecting his wife/sanctity of their marriage? There are points where trying to do the dutiful or honourable thing fails, as with Ned. I really hope that Stannis' character resolves with an unresolvable conflict of duty.

which Royal will do that???

dany won't do it because hes the son of the usurper and is of the dynasty who took the throne.

stannis cannot legitimize he because edric comes ahead of him in the line of succession.

aegon won't because griff plans to "end the usurper's line".

Tommen can't legitimize him because edric also comes ahead of tommen in the line of succession due to being older.

Look at history. After the wars with the roses, Henry VII ascended the throne and had four children, Arthur, Margaret, Henry and Mary. Now, since he won the throne on the field of battle, he needs to secure the succession. He basically instills in his sons the need to produce many male heirs, in order to secure the Tudor dynasty. You'd think, having produced an heir and a spare, he'd be fine. But Arthur dies shortly after his wedding.

This puts all the pressure on Henry, who ascends the throne soon after as Henry 8th. We all know that he has multiple wives, desperately trying to secure the throne in the male line. eventually he writes into his will the male preference succession that was in effect til about a month ago, which puts his son first in line, followed by his two daughters. His children all sit the throne, but beget no heirs (Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I)

Stannis is pretty much in the role of Henry the Eighth here. his options are to get more heirs, through multiple wives if need be, or change the laws. He doesn't even have any convenient bastards to legitimise.

which Royal will do that???

dany won't do it because hes the son of the usurper and is of the dynasty who took the throne.

stannis cannot legitimize he because edric comes ahead of him in the line of succession.

aegon won't because griff plans to "end the usurper's line".

Tommen can't legitimize him because edric also comes ahead of tommen in the line of succession due to being older.

Stannis or Tommen could legitimise Edric and place him last in the line of succession. Dany or Aegon could also do so in order to have a compliant Baratheon to raise the Stormlands for them

Look at history. After the wars with the roses, Henry VII ascended the throne and had four children, Arthur, Margaret, Henry and Mary. Now, since he won the throne on the field of battle, he needs to secure the succession. He basically instills in his sons the need to produce many male heirs, in order to secure the Tudor dynasty. You'd think, having produced an heir and a spare, he'd be fine. But Arthur dies shortly after his wedding.

This puts all the pressure on Henry, who ascends the throne soon after as Henry 8th. We all know that he has multiple wives, desperately trying to secure the throne in the male line. eventually he writes into his will the male preference succession that was in effect til about a month ago, which puts his son first in line, followed by his two daughters. His children all sit the throne, but beget no heirs (Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I)

Stannis is pretty much in the role of Henry the Eighth here. his options are to get more heirs, through multiple wives if need be, or change the laws. He doesn't even have any convenient bastards to legitimise.

Stannis or Tommen could legitimise Edric and place him last in the line of succession. Dany or Aegon could also do so in order to have a compliant Baratheon to raise the Stormlands for them

1.) you can't do that.

a person line in succession is determined by birth order, bastardy and being the most closely related to the last previous ruler.

bastardy in essence bar's a person from his inheritance rights, the minute bastardy is removed they get placed where they normally would in the line of succession.

2.) who say's the kids compliant? he idols Robert a guy most know for taking the targs down.

and there is also the choice of just naming some distantly related house lord paramount of the storm lands. (which does not have claim to your throne)

:ninja: !! :)

Stannis, Tommen, Dany, Aegon, and others could definitely legitimize Edric if there's still a 7K in the end. If not, and the kingdoms go their separate ways, I'd like to see the Durrandon-Baratheon lineage continue.

As much as I love Shireen, I'd be surprised if she survives canon to rule as Lady or Queen of the Stormlands. Right now, she's already Stannis' Princess of Dragonstone. Besides, we see what happened 300 years before when the Stormlanders were left with a young queen...

Also, who's to say that Shireen and Edric couldn't be married? They're cousins, and cousins marry all the time in Westeros. Problem solved.

Stannis Baratheon has been married to his Florent wife for many years but only has produced one child a sweet girl but sickly effected with greyscale, everyone speaks about how honorable Stannis is and how hes all about his duty but what about his duty to his wife and family name?

The only baratheons remaing at the end of ADWD is Stannis and his daughter not counting Roberts bastards, but yet he hasent been making love to his wife every day and night trying to produce a son perhaps? Stannis should already have 4 to 5 kids ...... OK his wife is ugly and has a mustache grose I know but still man do your duty and get her with child before the Baratheons of SE are no more.

Ironically Shireen's only chance to win an A-list husband is if she does not have a brother.

Archived