Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

I don't believe GRRM has Stannis burn Shireen in the books. It is totally inconsistent with his entire character.

Dorne. Ohh boy. WTF was that about? Doran should have chopped off Ellaira's head after that spilling of wine ranting BS display.

So, um, Jon comes back after a massive fight with the Others and a sighting of the NK and finds out Valaryian Steel kills the Others and he just looks sad that nobody understands him and slinks off, waiting for pint size Brutus to stab him next week?

The pit was okay, except for how the fuck did the queen not have any guards around? No unsullied anywhere?

So, the forum ate my last post.

I can see the Shireen burning happening in the books, as I largely view Stannis as the story of a basically good (or good-intentioned) man who sacrifices more and more of himself to do what he believes he must do, losing his compass along the way. So, I can see that gradually developing in the books.

With that said, going from "you are my daughter" to burny burny burn burn at the FIRST sign of adversity is character assassination of the highest level.

Also, is a pedo Meryn Trant really necessary?

you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt. :D

Damn and to think I was looking forward to tonight after last week

This. tbh, I wasn't looking forward to tonight after last week, as this show does best when it concentrates on a specific story, and they didn't have the leisure to do that, and I get that, given the novels. However, this week was just BAD. Very bad. Very very very bad. If you're going to have Stannis burn his daughter, then at least show him thinking about it, and if you're going to put the queen in that particular position, then have the decency to have her assassinated. If you don't want her dead, then come up with something else. It's almost as if this week was done purely for the shock value: Let's kill the kid! Let's put every extra into the Dany section, then rescue her, whether that's believable or not.

I just watched the "inside the episode." Dany's pit scene was one of their favorites apparently, and yet they changed absolutely everything about it. And to hear them talk about it, they have NO idea. They're like "yeah, it's such a great moment when Dany resigns herself to her fate" (the fate they scripted), and how Drogon can sense when Mommy is in danger. Because her moment in the books had nothing to do with a reclamation of her identity.

Wow I can't believe I made myself sit through that.

Dorne has sucked all season though. What they did to the Sand Snakes and Ellaria though. :shudders :

I used to be pissed off that they cut Arienne. Now I'm relieved they didn't get their hands on her.

Thank the gods Arianne is safe. For now.

The Shireen burning is making me wonder what I ever saw in this awful show.

It's been getting worse every season. This was the final nail in the coffin of what once was a decent adaptation.

I just did a rewatch and it's almost painful how good season 1 is by itself - and it's a fucking masterpiece when compared to this shit.

Now I know why D&D hate high school book reports, they probably got on F on theirs. Did these guys understand anything from the books at all. Their reading and understanding of every character is just completely off.

They haven't gotten one single character right this season.

The best thing I can say is at least nothing traumatic happened to Sansa... this week. If GRRM writes Stannis burning Shireen alive, I'll be upset, but I'm sure he'd be able to sell me on it. Not condoning the action, of course, but he'd write it well enough that we can see why Stannis did it, what was its purpose, why it was in-character for him at the time, even if we still hate him for it. This did not accomplish that for me. It feels like YET AGAIN they threw something vaguely book-ish (maybe) in where it seemed to fit time-wise but did not get developed well, fit in with characterization, fit in with the *cough* themes. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i cannot see Stannis burning Shireen in the books.

I just watched the "inside the episode." Dany's pit scene was one of their favorites apparently, and yet they changed absolutely everything about it. And to hear them talk about it, they have NO idea. They're like "yeah, it's such a great moment when Dany resigns herself to her fate" (the fate they scripted), and how Drogon can sense when Mommy is in danger. Because her moment in the books had nothing to do with a reclamation of her identity.

Any take on their comments about the Shireen scene?

I've called ahead and reserved a special place in the 7th hell for those who can't understand that the rage isn't about Shireen dying, it's about Stannis doing it out of nowhere.

there is no buildup to the rediculous. It is a reminder of Sansa at Moat Caillin, out of nowhere, ok I will marry the Bolton Boy.

Stannis a couple of weeks ago, loving his little girl. I was proud of him and now. burning her alive so he can hopefully take a castle so he can win a a crown that no one wants him to win outside of a couple of thousand men.

I've called ahead and reserved a special place in the 7th hell for those who can't understand that the rage isn't about Shireen dying, it's about Stannis doing it out of nowhere.

Thank you :bowdown:

Thank you for always being the voice of reason. Seriously.

So the stupid 20 man suicide mission was actually a plan to burn stannis' camp so stannis will burn shireen.

I hope that isnt a wow spoiler. If it is I wonder if it happens after a failed attempt to seige winterfell. For the show it feels like Brienne bait.

Trent is already a douche. Did we need him to be a pedo too. So much for the shades of grey all the characters have in ASOIAF.

I liked Danys escape scene, up until the escape. NO WHIP. I have been waiting for Dany to tame drogon but instead he just lets her on... meh. Those effects were pretty crap too. I know its tv but how bout one extra god damn fan to, at least, mess her hair up. She looked like she was in first class on virgin airlines. Maybe 50000 less skeleton zombies so we can have one of the great moments from adwd look a little better then sharknado.

Archived