Arrow Season 4: For the Night is Darhk and Full of Terrors...

Jaxom 1974

4 hours ago, Jon AS said:

Definite improvement this week. The hallucinations were a bit much, perhaps, but overall it worked pretty well.

And they even managed to kill Amanda Waller in time for the Suicide Squad movie!

Having a television Waller at the same time as a movie Waller doesn't seem like that big of a deal as they insist on having two Flashes...but in any case.

Solid episode.  Nice to see Oliver not exactly being front and center, and when he was, he was playing against the brooding type...I was intrigued by the "Oracle" drop...something is coming regarding that in some way...

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Having a television Waller at the same time as a movie Waller doesn't seem like that big of a deal as they insist on having two Flashes...but in any case.

Well they killed off Deadshot too (though in such a way he could easily return.)

13 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I think it's fairly obvious that DC wants to keep the amount of duplicate characters to a minimum (apparently just having nebulous plans for a movie version of Blue Beetle meant that Brandon Routh's character had to be changed to the Atom instead), with the Flash and Green Arrow escaping by virtue of being the leads of two relatively successful TV shows.

Looks like this thread might be in need of a good long soak in a Lazarus Pit.

Another good episode. The show is pretty solid again for the moment.

Lots of returning characters in this one. Admittedly, Tatsu and Shado felt more than a little gratuitous, but somehow it didn't detract from the episode (at least not any more than the flashbacks always do these days). And Tatsu didn't die, despite having a movie doppelgänger.

Nyssa is great and makes for a much better uneasy ally than Malcolm ever did, I hope the writers are finally getting over their crush on John Barrowman and have her succeed in supplanting him.

I guess it was also inevitable that Felicity's father would turn out to be a supervillain, but given that they've done good work with her character these past few episodes, I'm optimistic this will be an interesting storyline.

It's been floating out there for a while that the Calculator would be Felicity's dad...nice to see they didn't let Internet speculation deter them...

They're really pushing this "Oliver Needs To Get Over Himself" narrative lately. Let's hope it sticks. Because when Merlyn is being a voice of reason...

20 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

They're really pushing this "Oliver Needs To Get Over Himself" narrative lately. Let's hope it sticks. Because when Merlyn is being a voice of reason...

Which is weird, because that's basically been Oliver's journey from day one.

Except for the flashbacks, where he obviously should be moving in the opposite direction, becoming the cold killer from the beginning of the series. I guess getting the advice that "the only way out is through" is supposed to move him more in that direction? Because generally, the main difference between flashback Oliver and present day Oliver has been that present day Oliver is more competent. Of couse that's kind of a necessity if the flashbacks are supposed to parallel the present day storyline in some way. Given that the very premise of the show demands that the two Olivers' personal development be diametrically opposed, maybe that would have been another good reason to drop the flashback gimmick, or at least restrict it to a very limited number of episodes per season?

It's been so long since we've seen Lance that I found myself surprised he was still alive.  I also had to struggle to remember who William was.

I guess the one good thing about this episode is that we've learned the League does more than sit around in a cave planning ostentatious suicide missions in ninja outfits.

No! Not the kid nobody thinks was a good addition to the show in the first place! Really, killing William (and good of Malcolm to preface that with "his son", because I sure as hell didn't remember the name) will provoke the same reaction in me as killing Laurel would.

But there was quite a bit of good stuff here. Oliver finally seems to understand that he doesn't have to side with Malcolm at every opportunity just because he's Thea's biological father. Maybe if we give him some more time he'll even remember that just about everything horrible to happen to both Thea and Oliver over the past decade is ultimately Malcolm's fault.

I kind of wish that Nyssa had been the one kick Malcolm's smug arse, but Oliver beating him down without even breaking a sweat was nice, too.

I also like that the League makes good use of that wormhole between Star City and Nanda Parbat, bringing braziers and ceremonial robes along. Being an order of mystical ninja assassins is only really fun if you accessorise properly.

It wad a somewhat solid episode...though having Digg be the one to encourage Oliver to kill Malcolm,  justified or not, felt like something you guys would have jumped all over...

The son angle...don't know if it's worth anything...but once it was brought into the story, you knee it would be addressed again somehow...

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It wad a somewhat solid episode...though having Digg be the one to encourage Oliver to kill Malcolm,  justified or not, felt like something you guys would have jumped all over...

Dunno, Diggle has a pragmatic streak*. And Malcolm very clearly needs to be taken out. Well, he needed to be taken out after he murdered 500 people and levelled part of the city and has been overstaying his welcome ever since, the occasional good use as comic relief notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The son angle...don't know if it's worth anything...but once it was brought into the story, you knee it would be addressed again somehow...

Of course. The problems with the storyline are a. that it exists in the first place and b. the way they're integrating it into the story.

It looks like it'll be first used as a stumbling block for Oliver and Felicity's relationship (because Oliver is actually sticking to the insultingly stupid demands the kid's mother made a prerequisite for him seeing his son in any capacity) and then milked for drama by putting the kid's life in danger. The problem is that the fact that Oliver is not telling anybody about him means he's not properly integrated into the show, giving us no reason to care other than 'a child's life is in danger'.

They already tried pretty damn hard to make us care about a child's death last season, maybe they were disappointed by the audience reaction so they're trying again. I doubt it'll work.

*ETA: And speaking of pragmatism: Felicity handled her father incredibly well, I thought. Almost unbelievably well, really, because usually nobody on Arrow behaves in such a sane and rational manner.

So, does the impending wedding of Oliver and Felicity mean that Oliver is a polygamist?

Malcolm truly has fallen far from his former self. He was a great season 1 villain but I'm starting to think it would have been better if he had died at the end of that season.

1 hour ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

So, does the impending wedding of Oliver and Felicity mean that Oliver is a polygamist?

I was kind of surprised that Felicity had no reaction at all to Ollie's "Yeah, Um... I'm a gonna stand in for my Wife...". Not so much as a wince. Did Ollie and Felicity ever hash that out in an episode that I missed...? If not, kinda weird that they were later hatching wedding plans...

God, everything about this William plotline is just so bad. Even after he's been shown that his secret isn't exactly hard to figure out he still insists on keeping it, just to maximise the damage to his relationship with Felicity down the line. And I know the episode was called "Code of Silence", but the hackneyed emphasis on keeping secrets...

Looks like we're getting a new superheroine next week? Hopefully she's generally better written than her one line in the trailer.

According to her wikipedia entry, she's got some weird mystical powers. Wonder how that'll work on screen.

3 hours ago, Jon AS said:

God, everything about this William plotline is just so bad. Even after he's been shown that his secret isn't exactly hard to figure out he still insists on keeping it, just to maximise the damage to his relationship with Felicity down the line. And I know the episode was called "Code of Silence", but the hackneyed emphasis on keeping secrets...

Looks like we're getting a new superheroine next week? Hopefully she's generally better written than her one line in the trailer.

According to her wikipedia entry, she's got some weird mystical powers. Wonder how that'll work on screen.

That means she'll be the one to stop Darhk.

It looks like they're not going to drag out the William secret beyond next week at least...though how it is resolved...?

How come all super villains don't vet their enemies like a politician? 

And the gods awful flashbacks continue to drag everything else down...how are we supposed to see Oliver of the Island as the cold hearted bastard he was when he returned in Season 1, when he's essentially the same guy he is now in Season 4?

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It looks like they're not going to drag out the William secret beyond next week at least...though how it is resolved...?

How come all super villains don't vet their enemies like a politician? 

The majority don't know the heroes secret identity. Of course Darhk does, but it's not like Ollies is very well hidden anyway, he was arrested twice for it, and only last let off by a very shaky false confession from Roy.

Archived