Jessica Jones [AKA This Thread Has Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

As I understand it, Claire gently pushes the needle under Luke's eyeball and from there along the optic nerve, displacing the eyeball slightly but not piercing anything. So that's different from going through the roof of the mouth. I'd assume that is unbreakable too - or Luke would be bleeding from his mouth after any serious fight (and certainly after the shotgun blast).

I've finished it. It's good but not great for me. I thought the use of Kilgrave's powers were also really well executed and were the highlights of the show. The acting was good. I liked that the villain wasn't trying to take over the world (but they couldn't resist a "he could destroy the city" - although it was clear Kilgrave had no intention to do so). I thought Simpson was fairly interesting and how they appear to be tieing his origin and Jessica's together (Is Jess part of the super-soldier program?).

I've mentioned the elements I didn't like and I thought there were a lot of silly elements that, while minor, took the shine off for me. I think I probably like vigilantes fighting if I try and think about what makes me like a particular superhero show. Again, Jess v Luke was fun as was Jess/Trish v Simpson - mainly because they did a really good job of showing how powerful these individuals are (something cap2 was excellent at). If they aren't fighting then the other elements have to be really strong but I don't really get that from any of the superhero shows - doesn't mean they can't.

I hope there isn't any Kilgrave in the next season. If they had wanted to keep him around having Jessica tearing out his tongue in the finale would have been a far more spectacular ending and would have got her off the killing hook and give Kilgrave something to do while he found a new way to execute his power. I was a bit confused how Kilgrave seemed to get people to go mad via the phone and video footage in the penultimate episode. Did I miss something here? I tried to justify it as "he visited the hospital earlier/or he was outside" as making people obey him via phone and TV is hard to explain with a virus. I was cool with the virus explanation of his power as it was a far better reason for immunity than "Emma Frost and Dr Strange gave her psychic blocks". There might even be cases of virus' affecting behaviour - although fungi would have been even more sound. Anyway if Kilgrave can manipulate people via video then he could have just left contingency traps.

But I'd rather have a second season of her being a PI now. It would make a nice change of pace. Which is strange as i didn't really like the episode where she did do PI work (the woman wanting to kill mutants). AS others have said, Kilgrave demanded more screen time and attention so mixing the two would have been a precarious situation for the first season.

Kilgrave's range was vastly expanded at that point thanks to his father's experiments. Normally he can't command people via phone or video because they're out of range, not because he particularly needs to issue commands in person. Also, unlike in the 'sin bin', Kilgrave wasn't in a sealed room or anything: the virus could spread throughout the hospital (though there maybe could have been unaffected people in operating rooms, etc.)

Kilgrave's range was vastly expanded at that point thanks to his father's experiments. Normally he can't command people via phone or video because they're out of range, not because he particularly needs to issue commands in person. Also, unlike in the 'sin bin', Kilgrave wasn't in a sealed room or anything: the virus could spread throughout the hospital (though there maybe could have been unaffected people in operating rooms, etc.)

Still sounds wobbly to me unless the virus remembers i linked to Kilgrave's intent at all times eg the virus was primed largely because Kilgrave thought he'd reached them via the phone. Ropey but I'm not losing sleep over it.

If a large chunk of NYC is infected by suped up Kilgrave, I guess there are lots of ways they can use the character even after death though. These people could be permanently infected.

I hope there isn't any Kilgrave in the next season. If they had wanted to keep him around having Jessica tearing out his tongue in the finale would have been a far more spectacular ending and would have got her off the killing hook

Fun game: Which commands would Kilgrave still be able to give without a tongue? "Kiss me?" "Puke?" In any case, that would be a pretty dangerous 'solution' to him.

Yeah, the hospital thing didn't make sense to me either. Fair enough that the virus cloud extends over the whole hospital but how are they supposed to identify the virus carrier, who they are desperate to obey, from a voice on a PA system?

I feel like it didn't take them this long to announce Daredevil season two. What gives? I don't want to have to wait for the Defenders.

The Defenders is the complication likely delaying an announcement on JJ season 2. They have a time limited contract already in place to do the Defenders by a certain date. Luke Cage season 1 is what we are going to see first after DD season 2. I don't know where Iron Fist fits into this yet, but the rumors about it's demise are false. This is all complicated by the fact they want to release only two shows per year right now. I wouldn't get worried though. They'd be insane not to renew JJ after all the acclaim and Netflix is not known for ridiculous HBO Deadwood like decisions.

But yes, there is a good chance we'll see Defenders before we ever see JJ season 2.

I feel like it didn't take them this long to announce Daredevil season two. What gives? I don't want to have to wait for the Defenders.

It took them a while to announce sens8 season 2 - maybe they are a bit more cautious of late.

The Defenders is the complication likely delaying an announcement on JJ season 2. They have a time limited contract already in place to do the Defenders by a certain date. Luke Cage season 1 is what we are going to see first after DD season 2. I don't know where Iron Fist fits into this yet, but the rumors about it's demise are false. This is all complicated by the fact they want to release only two shows per year right now. I wouldn't get worried though. They'd be insane not to renew JJ after all the acclaim and Netflix is not known for ridiculous HBO Deadwood like decisions.

But yes, there is a good chance we'll see Defenders before we ever see JJ season 2.

The two shows a year means there's no rush for announcing JJ season 2 as we've got DD2 and Luke Cage next year. We'll most likely see JJ turn up in Cage's show anyhow so it won't be too long a wait.

I think I read something about netflix being contracturally obliged to have the defenders show air within a certain number of years? So they proabably do need to pull their finger out if they want to have the defenders airing by 2018. 2017 could be Iron Fist and JJ2 though? Unless Daredevil is far more popular than JJ?

Yeah, the hospital thing didn't make sense to me either. Fair enough that the virus cloud extends over the whole hospital but how are they supposed to identify the virus carrier, who they are desperate to obey, from a voice on a PA system?

To be fair, they did make a pretty big deal out of establishing that Kilgrave's commands now worked via mic (as shown in the stuff with the nightclub and the internet video).

Wait Marvel ontly want to release two tv shows a year? Is this some contractual think? Seems a strange decision. And i apologise if this is retreading old ground

I guess that's as much as netflix want to fund. Marvel also has SHIELD and Agent Carter on ABC. I think it's a wise move as I don't want netflix to become the MArvel channel and want to see the variety they appear to be going for at the moment.

To be fair, they did make a pretty big deal out of establishing that Kilgrave's commands now worked via mic (as shown in the stuff with the nightclub and the internet video).

He was still in the mucic hall though so I could understand the virus infecting everyone and people would have been watching him too. They also made a point of saying people at the back of the room thought he was crap (eg not affected). That made sense. The hospital still seemed a leap. Which internet video? I thought that was at the hospital?

Still sounds wobbly to me unless the virus remembers i linked to Kilgrave's intent at all times eg the virus was primed largely because Kilgrave thought he'd reached them via the phone.

Yeah, but if you think about it, all along this was an issue: the virus must work in a way that means Kilgrave's commands, and only Kilgrave's commands, are obeyed. It doesn't make those exposed susceptible to any and all commands made in their vicinity. So once you get to the hospital situation, if we accept that everyone there is in range, he just needs a way to carry his voice, I suppose?

I'd go with the Love Potion #9 theory. He releases a virus that causes a person to be specifically tuned to certain vibrations below the easily audible range that Kilgrave's vocal chords produce. The virus doesn't make someone obey Kilgrave; they only make them susceptible to it. The voice is a requirement.

So you have to catch the virus by being close to him, but you also have to hear his subsonics (and only his).  

I'd go with the Love Potion #9 theory. He releases a virus that causes a person to be specifically tuned to certain vibrations below the easily audible range that Kilgrave's vocal chords produce. The virus doesn't make someone obey Kilgrave; they only make them susceptible to it. The voice is a requirement.

So you have to catch the virus by being close to him, but you also have to hear his subsonics (and only his).  

works for me. It also works for the show if Kilgrave recorded a bunch of videos that are posted out to "agents" in the event of his death.

I wonder if the creators of the "Preacher" show are cursing this show coming out before theirs? The "I told someone to screw themselves" was  a scenario from the preacher comic.

Kilgrave is a total bore.

Jessica and her friends and intersecting circles are the interesting parts.  Why do writers thing a male crazoid/psycho is necessary to do a series with such figures as Jessica?

O wait because its comix and this sort of bs is how It Is Done.

Yawn.

not finished yet so haven't read the rest of the thread.  but can anyone tell me is the jessica in the comics as fucking useless as the tv show? her power is basically being slightly stronger than normal people (except when pulling locks off doors when she becomes very strong), and having a rather useless ability to jump high.  

Archived