Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, (making the) 8. [The Seven was cursed]

JonCon's Red Beard

I think that's a reasonable theory for what the Chekov's gun of the Manderly fleet will end up doing. Maybe Stannis will ask for it as well because he hears about the Golden Company taking Storm's End. I could see him making a deal with the Manderlys promising to wipe out Frey supporters in KL.

Thanks, I just think that Stannis and Dany are DESTINED to meet on Dragonstone, the place where the Mannis ALMOST caught the Mother of Dragons while she was being smuggled out as a babe. 

Plus Dragonstone symbolizes the ancestral seat of Targaryens as well as Stannis' seat, Dany and Stannis need to fight for the place.

Especially if Aurane Waters, Velaryon bastard who was part of Stannis' fleet attacking King's Landing, and Edric Storm, Baratheon bastard who was almost sacrificied by uncle Stannis, join Dany on her way to Westeros, it will add much more drama. Not to mention Salladhor Saan.

And for Dany-Stannis confrontation to resemble some kind of battle Stannis needs to possess a navy. And there is no one in the story who might want to provide him that other than Lord Manderly as he already told Davos his price for bending the knee to Stannis.

I don't know if I posted it here, but I think once Stannis defeats Boltons and Stark is installed as Lord of Winterfell (probably Rickon) Lord Wyman Manderly or his son will honor their promise and provide Stannis with his fleet to take King's Landing second time. I think Davos will stay behind in the North to be involved in northern politics. Rickon and Davos, I expect will bond over their little adventure on Skagos, which will include not only people eating Skagosi and rhinos (these so called "unicorns"), but the attack of "dead things in the water". Since Skagos and its people are isolated no one will be alerted of incoming White Walker invasion on the mainland. So I expect Davos to stay behind with Rickon.

It's a very minor point, and I really liked the rest of your idea, but I doubt rhinos can live in such a cold, sparse climate. My money is on actual unicorns (seeing as the wildlings gave up a helmet made of a unicorn skull when they passed the Wall). I mean, it's hardly more ridiculous than dragons and giants, right?

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I really resent Ned Stark for sacrificing his family all in the name of honor. 

I mean, not only were there a million warning signs in and on the way to KL that screamed, "Get out now, man!" But he even went so far as to go to Cersei, admit that he knew about her big incest and bastards secret, and inform her that he'd be telling her husband. He did this before making sure his little girls were safely out of the city. 

Yes I know, Sansa went to the queen and told her that Ned was going to send them home. I've heard this a million times. It's true, Sansa made a terrible call, but she was also an eleven year old girl. Eleven year olds aren't exactly known for having fully developed cognitive processes or sound judgement. Ned was a fully grown man with a family to consider. 

Maybe I'm being unfair to him, but I've always been more than a little thrown by how badly he let Sansa and Arya down here. Making sure his children were safe should have been his first priority, IMO. After that, by all means do whatever your honor dictates...

I know why Beric always dies in his battles (besides his std):

A thicket of red-gold hair hid most of his face, save for a bald spot above his left ear where his head had been smashed in.

yep, he can't see a thing (specially since he lost one eye).

Also for some reason he tries to hide his other wounds, but doesn't wear an eye-patch in the books.

I feel like 3 days dead Stoneheart is still an improvement in the brain department.

i really like Beric, i swear

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I really resent Ned Stark for sacrificing his family all in the name of honor. 

I mean, not only were there a million warning signs in and on the way to KL that screamed, "Get out now, man!" But he even went so far as to go to Cersei, admit that he knew about her big incest and bastards secret, and inform her that he'd be telling her husband. He did this before making sure his little girls were safely out of the city. 

Yes I know, Sansa went to the queen and told her that Ned was going to send them home. I've heard this a million times. It's true, Sansa made a terrible call, but she was also an eleven year old girl. Eleven year olds aren't exactly known for having fully developed cognitive processes or sound judgement. Ned was a fully grown man with a family to consider. 

Maybe I'm being unfair to him, but I've always been more than a little thrown by how badly he let Sansa and Arya down here. Making sure his children were safe should have been his first priority, IMO. After that, by all means do whatever your honor dictates...

True enough. So many people give Sansa for giving up her family but Ned telling her his plans is just as bad if not worse. No wonder Lord Baelish switched sides. Honor is one thing but insanity is another.

I am starting to make my peace with the idea of keeping away from the fandom from April on.

I was always more of a lurker than a poster, but I sure will miss these boards, and this thread in particular. So many times I was having a shitty day and I'd head here and laugh my ass out at one of the regulars' posts and then it'd all be better. Yall a great bunch and I hope you know it :)

(About the decision itself, yes I know it's pretty radical and I know I'm likely gonna get spoiled anyway because everybody talks about the HBO fanfic irl and I know it's not real spoils anyway cause D&D went their own way and all, but I love these books so much, I still wanna try my hardest not to know anything about what happens on the show).

That was my random confession of the day, sorry about jumping out of my shadow of lurkiness and going all emo, please carry on and stay hilarous for the next few months!

I am starting to make my peace with the idea of keeping away from the fandom from April on.

I was always more of a lurker than a poster, but I sure will miss these boards, and this thread in particular. So many times I was having a shitty day and I'd head here and laugh my ass out at one of the regulars' posts and then it'd all be better. Yall a great bunch and I hope you know it :)

(About the decision itself, yes I know it's pretty radical and I know I'm likely gonna get spoiled anyway because everybody talks about the HBO fanfic irl and I know it's not real spoils anyway cause D&D went their own way and all, but I love these books so much, I still wanna try my hardest not to know anything about what happens on the show).

That was my random confession of the day, sorry about jumping out of my shadow of lurkiness and going all emo, please carry on and stay hilarous for the next few months!

Ah, but AFOIAF is the Hotel California... You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. So please bring me my wine. 

GRRM has confirmed that the Grey Waste and the Lands of Always Winter are not connected, which unfortunately knocks a hole in this theory. It is possible for deserts to be cold for natural reasons, instead of being connected to a frozen hell filled with ice zombies :D

I think the Asshai'i cog was probably just a trader that was visiting Lannisport and some other western settlements when it got blown off course or had to flee Ironborn pirates.

This is a few days old now, but it's never actually stated to be an Asshai'i cog, it was just carrying silk from Asshai:

“And she sewed up the rents in my cloak as well, with some scarlet silk from Asshai that her grandmother had pulled from the wreck of a cog washed up on the Frozen Shore. ”
So it could have come from anywhere at all, and we already know from Davos that trading goes on with the Wildlings from time to time.

This is a few days old now, but it's never actually stated to be an Asshai'i cog, it was just carrying silk from Asshai:

“And she sewed up the rents in my cloak as well, with some scarlet silk from Asshai that her grandmother had pulled from the wreck of a cog washed up on the Frozen Shore. ”
So it could have come from anywhere at all, and we already know from Davos that trading goes on with the Wildlings from time to time.

Thanks for the quote; I should have looked that up myself.

Ships from all over the world, including Asshai, come to Lannisport to trade. One could very easily have been forced up north to the Frozen Shore.

I am starting to make my peace with the idea of keeping away from the fandom from April on.

I think many more people on this forum (myself included) would do the exact same as you, if it weren't for the fact that ignoring any potential spoilers means ignoring all forms of media. The near-impossibility of this is the reason I'm planning to watch the subsequent seasons, as I'd rather I got spoilers first-hand than have to hear about them through the grapevine. However, good luck to you; you've got a stronger will than most people here!

Oberyn negativity ahead!

I don't get "Oberyn died too soon" hype. He was ok as a secondary character and his death has left impact for many readers (not for me:devil:), but if he lived longer he would become annoying. Also, imho, he is one of the least original of ASoiAF characters and has lots of stereotypical dangerous foreign man and bi/pansexual tropes for my liking. I think Sarella and Ellaria are more interesting by far and with right development Obara, Tyene and Nym would've been more interesting. But even with how they are right now I don't see how Sand Snakes are more cliche than him. In my opinion they are on the same level.

also I fail to see what's so sexy about book!Oberyn (sexiness of the actor doesn't count)

The only reason I wanted Oberyn to live was because I was sympathetic for Ellia and her children and I hated Ser Gregor.  It wasn't so much the character but his cause. 

fair enough

i'm always surprised when a character i considered interesting or somewhat interesting, but secondary turns out to be a huge fanfavourite.

Also happened with Sandor (I kept forgetting he even existed between his appearances in the books, and i also find him not very original as a character, but at least i like him in small doses, sometimes), Sawyer from Lost (although I actually liked him well enough), Darryl or what's his name from the Walking Dead...

Ned failed to take into account Cersei's venality.  He was counting on Robert coming back from his hunt and therefore being in a position to deal with Cersei and the children.  He didn't count on Cersei plotting to kill Robert.  Once Robert was mortally wounded, all his plans went up in smoke, but by then he was essentially committed.  So I can't really fault him there.  I do think he should have take Renly's advice on taking Cersei and the kids into custody in the middle of the night, without waiting for Robert's death.  Not doing so gave Cersei opportunity to move against him.  As for his kids, he had already made arrangements to get them out, but events overtook his preparations, and they were therefore unable to leave in time..    

fair enough

i'm always surprised when a character i considered interesting or somewhat interesting, but secondary turns out to be a huge fanfavourite.

Also happened with Sandor (I kept forgetting he even existed between his appearances in the books, and i also find him not very original as a character, but at least i like him in small doses, sometimes), Sawyer from Lost (although I actually liked him well enough), Darryl or what's his name from the Walking Dead...

I agree, I have never really understood why Oberyn is so popular.

I confess that I'm actually quite angry at GRRM for not finishing the books. I know, I know, 'GRRM is not my bitch. He can take as long as he needs to write the books.' I agree with both of those statements. But the TV show exists. There is no way I will be able to avoid spoilers before the final books come out. I will know how it ends before I get to read the books. And I'm a bit resentful of that. Sure, the journey matters more than the destination, but the destination does matter. Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if I still liked the show, but I don't.

I think I will just watch the show, even though I no longer enjoy it. That way, I at least get the spoilers on my own terms. That's kind of the thing though: I feel like I'm being forced to watch something I don't want to watch.

I'm sure this post will earn me some ire, but this is a confessions thread.

Archived