It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia II: A starter thread?!? This is a finisher thread!!

Theda Baratheon

Without other sides of the story, I wouldn't want to conclude anything. Given how the show works I can imagine it would have been disastrous if all involved weren't getting along.

It is interesting that there was an original "dee" though. Never knew that.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Without other sides of the story, I wouldn't want to conclude anything. Given how the show works I can imagine it would have been disastrous if all involved weren't getting along.

It is interesting that there was an original "dee" though. Never knew that.

Yeah, exactly. Hard to know without having both sides. Could be a case of sour grapes.

4 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

Re: Dennis, Glenn Howerton specifically decided not to use his real name for the character (unlike Charlie and Mac) because he didn't want people thinking he was anything like that in real life.

To be fair, though, Dennis is easily the worst of the three as a person.  Charlie's idiocy is more cute than anything, and Mac is dumb but mostly harmless.  Dennis is basically a predator.  Even in the first season they were hinting at him always liking younger girls.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

To be fair, though, Dennis is easily the worst of the three as a person.  Charlie's idiocy is more cute than anything, and Mac is dumb but mostly harmless.  Dennis is basically a predator.  Even in the first season they were hinting at him always liking younger girls.

If I were to rank the gang from worst to least worst, Dennis would definitely top the list.

2 minutes ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

If I were to rank the gang from worst to least worst, Dennis would definitely top the list.

I think just about any list would probably go: Dennis, Frank, Dee/Mac (not really sure what order to put those two in), then Charlie.

33 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, exactly. Hard to know without having both sides. Could be a case of sour grapes.

It did read like sour grapes to me.  Maybe it wasn't a case of FX being an old boys' club so much as they could actually judge talent properly.  The woman has only two credits on imdb, It's Always Sunny on TV and one from 2012.  She could have just been awful, it's not like the other three had any actual clout to stop her from getting other work at the time.

10 minutes ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

Idk, I'd probably put Mac at least worst with Dee right in the middle.

Mac has a lot of bigoted views on the show and isn't afraid to express them.  That's why I think he's easily worse than Charlie.  I'm struggling to think what Charlie has done that is truly awful other than stalk the waitress and bite Santa in the throat.  Most of what he's done is easily matched and surpassed by the worst the others have done.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Mac has a lot of bigoted views on the show and isn't afraid to express them.  That's why I think he's easily worse than Charlie.  I'm struggling to think what Charlie has done that is truly awful other than stalk the waitress and bite Santa in the throat.  Most of what he's done is easily matched and surpassed by the worst the others have done.

Yeah, but I think that Charlie has more potential to be really dangerous to other people, something that I don't really see in Mac who is mostly just really deluded about himself.

41 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think just about any list would probably go: Dennis, Frank, Dee/Mac (not really sure what order to put those two in), then Charlie.

This is how I'd list them. Maybe Dee above Mac purely based on what she's done to Cricket.

Yeah, I'd actually put Mac at the bottom of a list of awful people. Charlie has the innocent thing going on but when he puts his mind to it he can be really dangerous/nasty eg the time he thought he was a genius and his recent abduction of a leprechaun. Mac tends to be dangerous by tagging along.

6 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

It did read like sour grapes to me.  Maybe it wasn't a case of FX being an old boys' club so much as they could actually judge talent properly.  The woman has only two credits on imdb, It's Always Sunny on TV and one from 2012.  She could have just been awful, it's not like the other three had any actual clout to stop her from getting other work at the time.

I guess the rest of them didn't have much of an IMDB record either until they had Sunny (and there's only really Charlie Day who's had much impact outside of sunny). It's a tricky situation when a group of friends are trying to get work as a group and probably a classic reason why people shouldn't have in-work relationships anywhere. If MaC and Dee broke up in real life now, I imagine it would also ruin the show.

It appears to have ended "Castle" and the leads weren't even romantically involved. Although it sounds like that show was coming to an end anyhow.

I've always been surprised at how Charlie Day isn't as involved as the other two. For some reason I always felt like he'd be the one who did a lot of the writing. I think that's because he's the most naturally funny but I guess I'm mixing on screen-talent with behind the scenes writing.

• 3 months later...

Thread titles for season 12:

1. Gun Fever Three: Smokin Hot

2. Rickety Cricket: The Trashman
3. The Gang Kills a Guy
4. Mac & Dennis Go to a Gay Bar
5. The Gang Gets Erotic
6. Charlie the Pirate
7. Frank Runs for President
8. The Gang Overthrows the Turkish Government
9. Charlie Joins ISIS
10. 2017: A Space Tragedy

On number 4, I'm calling it now, Dennis goes home with a dude and Mac gets shut down.

29 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Hide contents

3. The Gang Kills a Guy
5. The Gang Gets Erotic
6. Charlie the Pirate
9. Charlie Joins ISIS

On number 4, I'm calling it now, Dennis goes home with a dude and Mac gets shut down.

Those look very promising. Particularly #6. :lol:

I'm looking forward to Frank as a Trump analogue. I remember the last Gun Fever episode as pretty weak, hopefully this one's good. I read "The Gang Kills a Guy" and thought "wait haven't they already?" I'm still trying to remember the closest they've come to directly causing someone's death. (Dennis is a serial killer theory aside) [/spoiler]

5 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm looking forward to Frank as a Trump analogue. I remember the last Gun Fever episode as pretty weak, hopefully this one's good. I read "The Gang Kills a Guy" and thought "wait haven't they already?" I'm still trying to remember the closest they've come to directly causing someone's death. (Dennis is a serial killer theory aside) [/spoiler]

I can't remember, did anyone die in the apartment fire?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2016 at 10:54 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Reveal hidden contents

3. The Gang Kills a Guy
5. The Gang Gets Erotic
6. Charlie the Pirate
9. Charlie Joins ISIS

On 8/18/2016 at 8:17 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

So hyped for these episode titles...

So was I! Then someone asked me when it was coming back and I could find nothing. So I came here, thinking that if they'd released the titles they must have released the date. Only now do I realize he said thread titles. 

Archived