Good YA series recs?

Good Guy Garlan

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Apparently the film was just as atrocious as the trailers made it look though :P 

Oh no, no... it was a lot worse than what the trailer suggested ! :P Everything about it was bad, and Jeff Bridges accent was horrendous. I cannot for the life of me figure out why he decided to speak like that it the movie.

His Dark Materials is wonderful and have read it several times.   There is a minor character who is a witch, Serafina Pekkala and I just love her.  Check the series out, it's fun. 

Another YA series I liked is one about a modern day teen discovering the fae folk in New Jersey.   The faries are pretty evil and devious.  The writer is Holly Black and the books are , Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale, Valiant and Ironside.  I think they fall in the 'urban fantasy' sub genre, but then maybe not as there are no vampires.  I found them to be quick enjoyable reads. 

4 hours ago, LongRider said:

His Dark Materials is wonderful and have read it several times.   There is a minor character who is a witch, Serafina Pekkala and I just love her.  Check the series out, it's fun. 

Another YA series I liked is one about a modern day teen discovering the fae folk in New Jersey.   The faries are pretty evil and devious.  The writer is Holly Black and the books are , Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale, Valiant and Ironside.  I think they fall in the 'urban fantasy' sub genre, but then maybe not as there are no vampires.  I found them to be quick enjoyable reads. 

Somewhere, Darth Richard II will just have broken out in cold sweats.

edit: the more I think on it though, the more I realise he is completely correct about the series, and the complete 180 of Lyra from self-sufficient protagonist to washy-washy damsel in distress who needs to be saved by a real manly man(boy). The series does have its moments though, and at times really it's very good. But only the Northern Lights is a consistently good book (but that one is all kinds of awesome). 

I will say though that my favourite scene is at the end of the Subtle Knife

Lee Scorseby's final stand

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Somewhere, Darth Richard II will just have broken out in cold sweats.

edit: the more I think on it though, the more I realise he is completely correct about the series, and the complete 180 of Lyra from self-sufficient protagonist to washy-washy damsel in distress who needs to be saved by a real manly man(boy). The series does have its moments though, and at times really it's very good. But only the Northern Lights is a consistently good book (but that one is all kinds of awesome). 

I will say though that my favourite scene is at the end of the Subtle Knife

Hidden Content

I like the series the whole way through myself.   Never saw Lyra as a damsel, in distress or no. 

21 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I actually loved the hell out of Northern Lights/The Golden Compass, which is why I think my hatred for the follow ups is so intense,

Totally. Felt like a betrayal. "Et tu, Philip Pullman?"

I felt as if I had been stabbed with The Subtle Knife about three chapters into TAS ...

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend the Darklands Trilogy by Anthony Eaton.

https://www.penguin.com.au/products/9780702234941/nightpeople-book-one-darklands-trilogy

It's a bit off the beaten path (if you don't live in Australia), but I really enjoyed it.

Just finished Catherynne M Valente's Six Gun Snow White. It was incredible.

Leigh Bardugo's Grisha Trilogy is also cool.

Malinda Lo's Huntress and Ash is also good.

Jane Yolen's Briar Rose-also enjoyable because atleast one crazy religious person hates it.

Spindle's End by Robin Mckinley (Deerskin is also amazing, but the incest is definitely not YA)

I have now started reading Claire Bell's Jaguar Princess.

19 hours ago, Mandy said:

I'm loving the Lioness series by Tamara Pierce.

I adored that series as a pre-teen. I bought the quartet again a few years ago and , you know, it holds up. I'm really looking forward to giving them to my daughter in a few years. Girls have sex, and it's ok! And feeling conflicted is ok! And while Alanna is something of a special snowflake, that's whittled away in later books. And being "martial" isn't seen as the only way for a woman to succeed. 

Did anyone here read "the circle opens" quartet. I never got around to them, and wonder if I should.

i don't think I've read any urban fantasy since Court of Fives which I liked, but didn't love. I thought some of the world building was a bit shaken. A compelling enough fast read though.

looking forward to some Mercy Thompson. Hope it's better than the last instalment which I thought was weak.

• 5 months later...

Archived