What's it like where you live?

Sivin

21 hours ago, CBeck113 said:

the normal stand is quite open (progressive?) from Das Volk, but when things get tough like now, the Right Wing springs out of nowhere, especially in what used to be East Germany;

Not really related to the topic at hand, but Right Wing doesn't spring out of nowhere. It just gets out of hiding when circumstances are favorable for its growth. Germany is no exception, it's the same all over the world. One of our singers recently said that right wing is a game for poor people.

21 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yeah the UK generally gets a poor rep from certain groups when they travel abroad, unfortunately. While there is definitely a problem with drinking, violence etc. it's not so prevalent as it is when Brits do so abroad (for example, it's less likely to begin at 12 in the afternoon...)

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Oh, Brits on holiday are the worst. I've been out and about in a few European cities and if you hear a loud group of drunkards making a spectacle of themselves at midday, it's 100% guaranteed that they're going to be British.
Not, in my experience, especially aggressive, mind- obviously with alcohol fights happen, but the behaviour is usually more stupid than belligerent - but British drinking culture is awful. And I say that as someone who's joined in on occasion in the past.

Regardless of nationality, race, class or whatever, people on holiday tend to loosen up, drink a bit more and all that. In my experience, Brits just take it a bit further than others. It gives off an impression of "I can't do this at home and I don't give a crap about this country I'm at right now" that rubs most people the wrong way.

16 hours ago, Rorshach said:

I would hazard a guess that drunken troublemakers on holiday could be Norwegians. Norwegian drinking culture is basically binge drinking, and with cheap alcohol (which means "not Norwegian prices"), this is especially true. Luckily for us, there are fewer Norwegians in the world than Brits, and hence we're harder to find, relatively speaking. 

During my short trip in Scandinavia (mainly Goteborg) in 2009, I was pretty surprised with locals' drinking habits.

Don't get me wrong, We do our share of drinking in Serbia, but I've never seen so many people so drunk so early in the night - about 1a.m. pretty much everyone was wasted. If Norwegians are worse, I'm terrified to even think about it.

The trouble with Brits on holiday drinking is that people in this country are not really brought up to respect alcohol in the same way as say France, where kids from a young age are introduced to wine by their family. So when Brits get introduced to drink often it's in a less controlled environment such as when you're still at school and underage. So with less respect it leads to worse drinking practices.

Plus there's the fact that a lot of people in this country seem to act as if it's cheap so they must consume large volumes. I've spoken to lots of people who would rather drink gallons of cheap shite than actually enjoy a smaller quantity of better quality alcohol. And I think a lot of people genuinely have no idea how to act when away from home and with drink involved the whole situation is even worse. I'm honestly ashamed by the way some of my fellow Brits act on holiday, there's really no excuse. 

On 2/22/2016 at 4:42 PM, polishgenius said:

American Military might be a different ish, I wouldn't know. Could well see there being a section of people who butt heads with US soldiers stationed in the UK. It would be a very small minority, but I guess that's small consolation when they're getting in your face.

But the average American certainly isn't going to get anything more than a pisstaking, which is what everyone gets. That could lead to a fight if they either don't get it or can't handle it, I guess (as someone who once worked helping foreign kids settle into UK schools, explaining that very little a Brit says is meant to be taken seriously and any insult should be replied to with insults in kind, but not anger, was one of the key parts of my job, and since I moved to Berlin I've had to literally change my speaking habits coz of misunderstandings it caused, and I'm not the only one, this is an actual subject of conversation among the Britishers here I've discovered), but we Brits certainly aren't, as a whole, a naturally aggressive people, towards Americans or anyone else.

The cultural difference is what is going to start a fight. Generally speaking people where I'm from don't appreciate strangers busting our chops. You have to get to know the person and earn the right to do that. I'm a fairly easy going  guy but take too kindly to strangers busting my chops, I've almost gotten into fights as a result. 

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The cultural difference is what is going to start a fight. Generally speaking people where I'm from don't appreciate strangers busting our chops. You have to get to know the person and earn the right to do that. I'm a fairly easy going  guy but take too kindly to strangers busting my chops, I've almost gotten into fights as a result. 

Then I'd say don't ever come to the UK.

On 23/02/2016 at 11:16 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

Aye...don't want to pile on but you'll find no lack of community in most areas of the UK...especially Wales...

I have to say my favourite place to live was Cardiff. Pretty tiny city but really pretty with nice architecture and parks and not too expensive and just everything you need. Lots of shops and events happening all the time, pretty great nightlife, Cardiff University was a great Uni to go to. I made soooo many friends in Cardiff. Most people are really nice. Quite a diverse city for being so small as well. And really in the UK religion just isn't that big of a deal. I hardly hear anyone talk about it other than my nan who just whispers a little prayer before she goes to sleep. 

Yeah seconded. I love Cardiff.

Yep. In America, a stranger busting on you can lead to a fight quickly. However, once you know someone it is pretty open to good natured insults.

I will try this, my first time reading or seeing this topic

United States, Michigan, South Eastern Michigan

Pros

Good health care that is readily accessible

Well off country, well of area of the state

Lots of Lakes, The Great Lakes and inland lakes, I am minutes from Lake Erie

Great fishing and hunting(I am not a hunter though)

Top level education available

Pretty much everything you could want can be accessed in an hour or two drive. Lake Erie, Lake Huron, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Toledo

Cons

Expensive health care

A lot of manufacturing jobs which can by cyclical. Pro and a con, since they tend to be good paying jobs

No hills. I grew up west of here and the landscape was more varied. The Monroe Michigan area is really flat, which is great for farming, but boring to look at.

Expensive college and universities. Daughter is currently working toward a BSN, top level Nursing degree, above Registered nurse so I know the pains!

Current political situation sucks. I can't find a person who is running for President that I am comfortable voting for

7 hours ago, baxus said:

Regardless of nationality, race, class or whatever, people on holiday tend to loosen up, drink a bit more and all that. In my experience, Brits just take it a bit further than others. It gives off an impression of "I can't do this at home and I don't give a crap about this country I'm at right now" that rubs most people the wrong way.

Americans really aren't much different in that regard. The difference is Europeans usually don't see large numbers of Americans in one place outside of the large tourist destinations like Paris, London and Rome and not in large numbers tying one on. Spring Break locations in the U.S. and Mexico deal with them quite frequently.

Pretty much this. Americans can be rather thin-skinned and the British sense of humor can easily be misinterpreted by Americans. I had the piss taken out of me frequently when I lived there but knew it wasn't meant to give offense. They were just good natured ribbings. Then again, I've always been fairly relaxed never take myself too seriously.

To the OP. You should look into the Netherlands. It sounds like you would enjoy it and be quite comfortable there. I think it meets much of your criteria.

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

Fair. I just can't imagine getting into a fight over petty stuff. 

I agree, there is no point.

52 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Pretty much this. Americans can be rather thin-skinned and the British sense of humor can easily be misinterpreted by Americans. I had the piss taken out of me frequently when I lived there but knew it wasn't meant to give offense. They were just good natured ribbings. Then again, I've always been fairly relaxed never take myself too seriously.

I wouldn't say thin-skinned. I think it is more like being conditioned not to expect it from a perfect stranger. And not knowing if that stranger is just ribbing you or deliberately insulting you is like throwing gasoline on a fire. I once almost got into a fight at the gym when a stranger was making the kind of jokes that are reserved for my oldest friends.    

If you're quick to take offense, that is being thin-skinned. Whether it's a misunderstanding or not. Of course, we're both generalizing, but that is my take on it. And Americans are quick to take offense, whether someone is criticizing or simply joking with you. We prefer to someone laughing with us and not at us. The problem is we tend to think people are laughing at us. Again, generally speaking. This tends to be heightened when we are in a foreign culture. We don't understand it and are more defensive.

Much of this can be said about any culture. If you do not know what is "normal" then you could run into issues. Apparently in the UK insulting, or giving a stranger a ribbing is normal, in the U.S it isn't at all, it is seen as being rude and aggressive. Just a cultural difference.

We have a lot of Brazilians where I work and their culture is very relaxed with times. Meetings are routinely interrupted by people showing up 10 minutes late. It's seen as rude to us, but to them it's not an issue.  

On 2/22/2016 at 3:58 AM, Stubby said:

Cons

• A current crop of politicians that strongly resemble the Tea Party

Depending on which faction of the Tea Party, this could be a pro for me. When the Tea Party was Ron Paul for limited government, and not the Republican establishment trying to claim it as its own, I was game. 

Drunk Brits abroad do embarrass me quite a bit but as someone else said it's only the loud rowdy ones people take notice off, not the rest of us who are just being completely normal. 

And aye, we just take the piss a lot. I sort of see it as weirdly affectionate to take the piss a bit LMAO but obviously some people who just don't understand this will just assume they're being insulted and ridiculed. Brits aren't immune to this either, you'll still see a fight every now and again because some guy didn't like someone taking the piss. 

3 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Yeah seconded. I love Cardiff.

It's just soooo lovely

Probably another problem with Brit humour/taking the piss is that quite often it's delivered with a completely straight face without a lot of emotional change in the voice, which makes it seem that much more sincere. I confess to being guilty of doing this myself, some of the things I say when I'm with people they sort of double take because I sound totally serious when I'm actually joking

22 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Do Scottish nationals get free University education too? Or is that something I have misunderstood?

Yes, there are no tuition fees for Undergraduate degrees. I think postgraduate degrees do have fees. 

I know there was some argument over how fair it was when we had the Indy ref as students from the uk were going to get charged more than European and international students, some saw this almost as racism against English students, the snp said it was to stop people nipping over the border to get cheap education. Don't know where it all ended up going though and it sounded a bit iffy to me personally.

I think EU rules mean EU students get the same free tuition as Scottish students. For some reason this doesn't apply to students from other parts of the UK studying in Scotland who do have to pay fees.

Australia

From a personal perspective rather than a postcard:

My workplace is great, international with ideas and perspectives of people from a lot of different cultures and places.

Home is great too.  House is comfortable.  Neighbours are great in the main.  Aussie builder on one side, indian family over the other.  Bogans over the back.  All keep an eye on each others place, not that anyone has seen anything other than the garbo missing the bins a month ago.

Entertainment for me is perfect.  i'm far enough north to swim at the beach almost all year.  Middle of winter it can be a bit fresh but start of winter and its ok.  Far enough south that i don't deal with crocs or all the other issues with the tropics.  Big enough city to have a variety of bars/restaurants/museums/galleries/parks etc to entertain.

Transport is good.  Train system reliable, bus reliably late but often enough that it doesnt really matter.  Bike paths and road rules allow cycling to work.  Traffic is not too bad, especially compared to Sydney. Fuel expensive.

Cost of living is quite high but manageable.

Education is free basically.  Not for internationals and its getting harder to become an australian which is kinda expensive.

Job opportunities are quite good.

Food is great.  Large variety of fresh produce in stores and restaurants with foods from almost anywhere.

31 degrees C and sunny today.  Fairly normal for most of summer.

Squab - Brisbane? Your cost of living and museums comment made me think Melbourne at first, but the beaches comment says otherwise.  I had typed up all the below about Melbourne, which I might as well still leave in for information.  Brisbane I don't know so well, I think I'd find it more challenging as a culture fit though.  Climate wise it can be too hot for people that need a cooler winter, although I think I'd get on fine.

Melbourne? It's the other city I'd say is a good choice in Aus for someone like me.  The cost of living difference is definitely noticeable and an improvement, the night life, shopping and culture (ie Museums etc) are all better than Sydney too, particularly with the way things are going lately.  Community in Sydney is better for me though, as is the climate (Melb is hotter in summer, cooler in winter) and the harbour will always own my heart. 

Archived