Watch, Watched, Watching: The Theatrical Release

RedEyedGhost

I watched Fast and Furious 7 the night before last.  What a turd that was.  A 1.5 Billion dollar grossing turd.  I heard so many positive things about it when it was in the theaters that I can't believe I watched the same movie as everybody else.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Niceeee. It's a slow burn but a really good show and definitely benefits from binge watching imo. Season four is airing right now, maybe you'll catch up before finale :) 

Helena should have a bit longer to catch up, since apparently it's not going to be shown here in the UK until sometimes in the summer.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Niceeee. It's a slow burn but a really good show and definitely benefits from binge watching imo. Season four is airing right now, maybe you'll catch up before finale :) 

The opening scene with Fleetwood Mac playing had me hooked :D and yeah, it looks like williamjm is right, I'm watching on Amazon Prime and it's only series 1-3 available right now.

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The opening scene with Fleetwood Mac playing had me hooked :D and yeah, it looks like williamjm is right, I'm watching on Amazon Prime and it's only series 1-3 available right now.

The first showing will be on ITV Encore (first couple of seasons were on the main ITV channel but I guess the ratings weren't what they wanted).

There are quite a few scenes through the show where it makes good use of music.

8 minutes ago, williamjm said:

The first showing will be on ITV Encore (first couple of seasons were on the main ITV channel but I guess the ratings weren't what they wanted).

There are quite a few scenes through the show where it makes good use of music.

Oh, thanks for the info! I'll keep an ear out for when this will air and try to watch it then. If it's over the summer I should easily be caught up.

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Oh, that looks really promising :) Great to see Anna Griel heading this one, I really liked her in Pushing Daisy (alas another Fuller show cancelled before its time). Sadly, we don't have ITV on our side of the pond. I'll try and find a way around that ;)

Netflix will stream it for territories outside of the UK and Ireland on July 1 :)

In other news,Fox has ordered a second season of Lucifer :P

Most of Fox's praise in its press release was directed at Lucifer, which is averaging 10.5 million viewers across all platforms and multiple days (Fox is no longer interested in overnight ratings) and is the network's second-best new show among the treasured 18-49-year-old demographic.

Since I know a few here enjoy Peaky Blinders, the release date has been announced as May

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/peaky-blinders-season-3-release-date-confirmed-for-may-a6973111.html No specific date as of yet.

(sorry, wasn't sure of a more appropriate place, not sure if there is a dedicated PB thread)

32 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Since I know a few here enjoy Peaky Blinders, the release date has been announced as May

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/peaky-blinders-season-3-release-date-confirmed-for-may-a6973111.html No specific date as of yet.

(sorry, wasn't sure of a more appropriate place, not sure if there is a dedicated PB thread)

Great news! And if there isn't one, you should start it :) we'll need it come May :D

Started watvhing Outlander and I LOOOVE it after only three episodes...I knew that I would damnit took me long enough to watch but got everything I'm intereted in, adventure, romance, beautiful scenery, folklore and folk songs, interesting characters, time travel..brilliant...so excited watching it damn i love that feeling :D:D

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:35 AM, Mark Antony said:

Fair enough. I'm fond of the "anyone can be killed" exchange. I've been rewatching Thrones as well :cheers: Just about to be on season three. 

I'm about halfway through season 3 right now (I'll finish it before I start season 2 of Banshee).  Some much good stuff.  "Sit down, Podrick. We're going to need details. Copious details."

15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Oooh, that's great news. Sooner than I expected.

Since I was on a role, I decided to tackle another film that had been standing on my watchlist for way too long. So last night, I finally saw Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch... it was love at first sight I can tell you all right now. What a masterpiece, I feel like there aren't enough superlatives to describe it (although perhaps plain simple 'bloody brilliant' probably does an effective job at capturing some of the film's essence). I can definitely see this becoming a fixture in my top ten favourite films (alongside Cross of Iron, another Peckinpah masterpiece).

There is so much good stuff, it's hard to know where to really begin. Let's just start with the action. The Wild Bunch is violent, like really, really violent. And it's enthralling (better than Tarantino), which is probably why it has been copied by so many lesser films and directors. You see so much stuff in there (the way slowmotion is used to name but one), that you have seen a thousand times before, but here you are right at the source. All those bastardized/diluted copycats can't hold a candle to this bold piece of primal art. The action is brutal, realistic, kinetic and still easy to follow. Peckinpah had a real eye for composing his action scenes, which he executed with the blunt violence of a sledgehammer.

The cast in this is also amazing. Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan, Warren Oats, Edmund O'Brien, Emilio Fernandez, Ben Johnson and so on and so forth. Each and everyone is absolutely perfect for their role. They don't act in this film, they don't inhabit this world, they simply exist. Unbelievable really. I haven't mentioned WIlliam Holden yet, who plays Pike Bisshop. He's incredible, what an actor. That guy has been (one of) the lead(s) in Sunset Blvd., The Wild Bunch and The Bridge on the River Kwai. He might be my favourite actor from that golden age of cinema (it's between him and Bogie anyway). 

I also loved the writing. The story itself is pretty bareboned, but you don't need elaborate plots if you strip a tale to its essence and tell it perfectly (like Mad Max: Fury Road, I feel like that film is a spiritual cousin to The Wild Bunch). And this tale of obsolete men stirring up a final storm before the new mechanized age sends them into oblivion does just that. It completely demystifies the boring, stupid myths of the Old West as propogated by that bore John Wayne. These characters act like you would expect men like that to act in the situations they are in. It also has the best opening line in cinema imo (best final line goes to Some Like it Hot). It perfectly encaptulates the entire film. The only thing you can critque the film's writing for is the role of women really. Peckinpah had some major issues on that front, you don't have to have read anything about him to know that from this film. Still, he might be a misogynist, but he's artistically incredibly honest about it in The Wild Bunch, which is a nice change of pace with the way women haters usually work. 

One final thing I really liked is the myth about how this film was made. Like, it doesn't add anything to the film itself, but it still deepens the experience. Just like knowing about all of Werner Herzog's crazy exploits makes watching Aguiire: Der Zorn Gottes even better. And The Wild Bunch had a lot of that in spades it seems. Peckinpah scarring his technical crew by firing his revolver into the wall, Peckinpah hiring prostitues for one scene just because he wanted to be able to say that Warner Bros had paid for hookers for his casts and so on. I really like those stories (eventhough it must have been terrible to work under his direction).

I definitely recommend The Wild Bunch to everyone who hasn't seen it. Don't be like me and put off watching it, just do it! 

18 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

7 episodes into Outlander. I have watched it all night and forgot to sleep instead. Oh well. I love it. 

Episode 8 was the best episode of the first half imo, I think you'll like that :) 

On 7-4-2016 at 11:41 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Netflix will stream it for territories outside of the UK and Ireland on July 1 :)

Nice :D 

I just finished The Mummy, since it was put on Netflix recently. As a kid I loved it, and I still think its a great adventure film. The CGI is shit, but that's to be expected. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and I wish there were more adventure movies like it.  

50 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

I finished Band of Brothers. Man, the people who recommended it here weren't wrong. This is an absolute must-watch for any fan of war stories o good TV in general. I'll definitely rewatch this some day.

Glad you liked it. The Pacific is also pretty great, and is a nice companion piece to BoB. If you're interested in another similar show. It's a little different of a format though, as it also deals with the characters lives back home. I highly recommend it. 

Archived