Watch, Watched, Watching: The Theatrical Release

RedEyedGhost

On 3/31/2016 at 8:45 AM, Isis said:

I watched The Fountain this week for the second time. I think I must have been absent from my own mind the first time I watched it (I was busy working full time and doing my masters part time) because I don't seem to recall being that moved by it. But it's such a beautiful film with an incredible score, I found it impossible not to have an emotional connection with it. I might even watch it again at the weekend. 

I love that film :) I made about 10 people watch it with me a couple of years ago, only about 2 of us liked it. The rest found it incredibly boring. I feel like it's the sort of film you have to be in the mood for though, so perhaps that had something to do with it. I recently found out that they photographed chemical reactions through a microscope for the stuff that's around Tom's ship ( the future bits). 

Plus, the soundtrack is excellent. I know there's a Darren Aronofsky commentary track somewhere on the internet, I need to get on that at some point. Ah, just talking about it and listening to the soundtrack makes me want to watch it again this weekend. 

12 hours ago, Isis said:

The first season of The Killing is great but it does feel a little long. The second season has less episodes and this feels better pace-wise. Watch that, and then watch The Bridge. 

I watched The Fountain this week for the second time. I think I must have been absent from my own mind the first time I watched it (I was busy working full time and doing my masters part time) because I don't seem to recall being that moved by it. But it's such a beautiful film with an incredible score, I found it impossible not to have an emotional connection with it. I might even watch it again at the weekend. 

I cried so much the first time I watched The Fountain. I just love it so much. And thanks, I definitely will go back and watch The Killing. Gonna finish lillyhammer first now though. 

Turn is pretty well done, but so revisionist it gets distracting. Ok, Rebels good, Brits bad, fine. US audiences need that, I get it. But when it gets to the point where the Brits freeing the slaves is really because they're bad and callous and the rebels are the ones who keep them as slaves because they really care deep down, I gave up. 

I watched Collateral today, I've seen it before but it was probably more than 10 years ago. And it was really good, a lot better than I remembered it to be. Tom Cruise was fantastic in it and so was Jamie Foxx. I also liked the somehow random Jason Statham cameo.

Macbeth (Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard)…among the adaptations I've seen, this is my favorite version so far…(would like to see Eva Green as Lady Mac someday, even if she may not be as subtle as Cotillard is in this role).

Eta

When Mac had Banquo down on the ground, I was imagining him saying "Martha".

5 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Turn is pretty well done, but so revisionist it gets distracting. Ok, Rebels good, Brits bad, fine. US audiences need that, I get it. But when it gets to the point where the Brits freeing the slaves is really because they're bad and callous and the rebels are the ones who keep them as slaves because they really care deep down, I gave up. 

Where did they do that?

As I wrote elsewhere Turn is very awkward with the African American characters because historically the War of Independence wasn't their war.  There was no Revolution for them.  At the end everything in slavery remained what it was always was in slavery.  The only thing that changed is that the Brits provided an opportunity for some of the African American slaves to achieve their freedom.  A very large number leaped at the opportunity to help the Brits in exchange for that, just as they would do in the War of 1812 -- and in that war too a very large number of enslaved managed to escape and achieve freedom.

So they really don't know what to do with the African American characters Turn tries so hard to include in the story.  They weren't allowed to fight in the Continental army for freedom, so that option is out (unlike in the War of Rebellion).  The truth of slavery even at this stage of our history is something television can't deal with.  Because the truth goes against all the entertainment tropes.  

5 hours ago, James Arryn said:

You should watch the film Gods and Generals if you haven't already. You would LOVE it!

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Where did they do that?

Somewhere in season one IIRC. I bailed on the series after that (I don't even know if I finished season one to be honest) and I remember James bringing it up back then in the Turn thread. And I do think he's right. Personally, what I remember the most from that series is that I thought Burn Gorman was just to much of a cartoonish villain. He almost made Jason Isaacs' Colonol Tavington look sane by comparison!

33 minutes ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

I watched Collateral today, I've seen it before but it was probably more than 10 years ago. And it was really good, a lot better than I remembered it to be. Tom Cruise was fantastic in it and so was Jamie Foxx. I also liked the somehow random Jason Statham cameo.

It's a great film isn't it :) Tom Cruise should play more villains. He was really scary as Vincent. 

23 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Macbeth (Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard)…among the adaptations I've seen, this is my favorite version so far…(would like to see Eva Green as Lady Mac someday, even if she may not be as subtle as Cotillard is in this role).

Yeah, I liked it a lot as well :) not perfect, but definitely good. 

1 hour ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

Wow, had to google it before recognizing the scene with Statham. Love Collateral and never knew.

8 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

There's like 6 of them :P 

There's really only the one though.  They have a ton of amazing interactions, but in all of the others there's other people in and out.  Their best scene is just the two of them, killing it.  "You're too smart for your own good."

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Finally saw The Hateful Eight. Kind of disappointed TBH.

Well boo to you, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

:P 

Just curious, what parts you weren't keen on/what disappointed you? Not trying to trip you up, I'm just interested

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well boo to you, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

:P 

You're lucky you can hide behind your Mod shield, else I'd attack you with the fury of at least six suns!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Just curious, what parts you weren't keen on/what disappointed you? Not trying to trip you up, I'm just interested

Honestly I think I just went into with my expectations set too high. I like QT. I like Westerns. I like the cast and think the acting was great. The story was solid. The cinematography was excellent. The only thing I can point to from a technical sense is it felt long. But for whatever reason I just didn't dig it as much as I thought I would. It wasn't bad by any means. I'd rank it somewhere between OK and good. But it's not going to find itself in my Top 5 QT films.

On 3/31/2016 at 6:55 PM, Raja said:

I love that film :) I made about 10 people watch it with me a couple of years ago, only about 2 of us liked it. The rest found it incredibly boring. I feel like it's the sort of film you have to be in the mood for though, so perhaps that had something to do with i so much good stuff in that film. I recently found out that most they photographed chemical reactions through a microscope for the stuff that's around Tom's ship ( the future bits). 

Plus, there's the excellent soundtrack too which is excellent. I know there's a Darren Aronofsky commentary track somewhere on the internet, I need to get on that at some point. Ah, just talking about it and listening to the soundtrack makes me want to watch it again this weekend. 

I've been trying to work out why I wasn't really fussed about it the first time and I can only think that i) I didn't pay it sufficient attention because I probably watched it on my laptop while I was studying at the same time, and ii) I probably wrote it off as being a load of mystical nonsense. Maybe I just wasn't in a place where I could appreciate it. But I have been absolutely obsessed with Clint Mansell's soundtrack's recently. After watching the film I started looking at which films released at the same time actually won awards for the OST because I'm so surprised that anything could outdo this...

That is pretty cool about the chemical reactions being filmed via a microscope. I have to admit I haven't really gone down the rabbit hole with this film so far - apart from looking up stuff about the soundtrack - but I might finally cave in and do it now. I would really like to hear the DA commentary too.

On a completely different note, I am still trying to finish watching WWZ. I find it so awful that I can only watch it in five minute bursts. I have about 20 minutes left to watch. I think I would have walked out if I'd been to see this at the cinema.

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ha. I just made my housemate watch this for the first time a few hours ago. I was tired of him not getting the references.

Archived