Vikings X: Halfway Through the Madness

Corvinus85

17 hours ago, -Ghost- said:

I've seen that Josh Donaldson is playing a new character called Hoskuld. He is listed as a Viking warrior. I hope he gets an awesome death since he only has a cameo appearance.

So now that Hirst has said that Jonathan Rhys Meyers isn't playing an older Ivar, does anyone have a guess as to who he could be? I didn't realize that he would be in season 5 and not 4B, so I think it rules out anyone from Bjorns raid in the Mediterranean and Alfred. 

Jonathan Rhys Meyers  plays, what else? a right sob in the A&E - History Channel reboot of Roots, beginning on May 30th, 4 nights.  About 8 hours.  Like the 1970's series, "everybody" has bit parts, including Matthew Goode (Downtown Abbey, The Good Wife), Laurence Fishburne,   Erica Tazel (Rachel Brooks in Justified, in which I at least, loved the actress and her role), and, providing by far the best acting in any of the roles, Forest Whitaker.

(Just finished watching the screener.)

On 5-5-2016 at 8:38 PM, Arkash said:

And despite seasons 3 and 4a being let-downs, they have given be confidence for one aspect of the show going forward : I really think Alexander Ludwig can handle it as the lead in years to come, and I really wouldnt believe I'd say that two years ago... 

Ludwig has proved that he would make a passable lead, he definitely wouldn't suck, but that's a far cray from filling Travis Fimmel shoes. I might be thoroughly disappointed in this first half of the season (and previous season), but Travis has always been on point. Ragnar is imo still the most fascinating character on TV. Unless Bjorn's character changes dramatically, I think this show will really, really suffer from not having Fimmel at the forefront. I hope the new sons (especially Ivarr) prove their worth, because this show is going to need it.

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Magnus?

Unless they make a twenty year timejump, I can't imagine that to be the case.

20 hours ago, -Ghost- said:

I've seen that Josh Donaldson is playing a new character called Hoskuld. He is listed as a Viking warrior. I hope he gets an awesome death since he only has a cameo appearance.

Yeah, we haven't gotten a good old fashioned important minor character death in a while. Remember Thorskild death? That was cool :D

29 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Ludwig has proved that he would make a passable lead, he definitely wouldn't suck, but that's a far cray from filling Travis Fimmel shoes. I might be thoroughly disappointed in this first half of the season (and previous season), but Travis has always been on point. Ragnar is imo still the most fascinating character on TV. Unless Bjorn's character changes dramatically, I think this show will really, really suffer from not having Fimmel at the forefront. I hope the new sons (especially Ivarr) prove their worth, because this show is going to need it.

Yeah, we haven't gotten a good old fashioned important minor character death in a while. Remember Thorskild death? That was cool :D

There has clearly been some significant time jump, and I've long since given up on the characters looking to have aged consistently. Lagertha doesn't look a day older than when the series started while her son is now a grown ass man. And Aslaug ( :stillsick: ) has had 4 kids who are all grown men and looks the same as when she started too.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

There has clearly been some significant time jump, and I've long since given up on the characters looking to have aged consistently. Lagertha doesn't look a day older than when the series started while her son is now a grown ass man. And Aslaug ( :stillsick: ) has had 4 kids who are all grown men and looks the same as when she started too.

But she does have a lot more teeth than when she started -- my grandmother what big teeth you have!

Yeah, uh... eh! Y'know? This show took a nose dive off the shit tree and hit every branch on the way down. I want to watch Ragnar do anything, I want to see Bjorn grow into himself and become a badass, I want to see Lagertha fuck people up, and I'm totally into King WhatsHisFace of Mercia and Wessex.

That said, the show is just horrid. I am admittedly interested in Ivar though, I was drawn to the actor for some reason. Possibly the hotcrazy eyes.

2 hours ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

I think that for the first half of this season Lagertha was supposed to be around her early 40s which is pretty close to Katheryn Winnick's actual age.

Or maybe the vikings just have great skin-care products.

It could be the stress-free life she leads.

The reason I don't think JRM will be playing Magnus or Alfred is because I think we will see them both in 4B and JRM won't appear until next year. Alfred will be similar in age to Ragnars other kids and Magnus is 12. The only way he could is if they do another big time jump between seasons and change actors again. If that's the case, I guess that might work for Magnus, but Alfred is now a grown man, so it would be kinda weird to replace th actor. I hope he gets an awesome role though. I checked his imdb page and he's been working hard the past year. Hopefully all his troubles are under control and he nails whatever his role is.

18 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I think Ludwig has stepped up his game and grown as an actor hugely this season. When it's time for Ragnar to step away, I have no doubt that he will be able to carry the show. Andersen (Ivar) is definitely a great addition to the cast and will help too. I believe I read that 4B is a big Ivar season, so we will get to see soon. I think Jordan Patrick Smith (Ubbe) will be good too. He looks just like a younger Ragnar. Plus, we've still got Skarsgard and hopefully Winnick.

Yeah, I hope they give Donaldson an awesome death. I have a feeling they will.

• 1 month later...

New Episode of Preacher wasn't on Amazon UK this morning so I thought I'd give episode 6 a try. It did a great job of reminding me why I didn't get back to watching after a trip to Norway (where I got to see nice Viking scenery :) )

Anyway what a mess. The bath tub softcore erotica was cringe worthy but so's the continued girl power in England. At least they didn't bother with any plot for Lagertha just proposal and stabbing. It's like they want to have GOT style betrayal and murder but don't bother setting up any emotional resonance at all. Which is weird because the guy who got blood eagled back in season 2 was really well handled.

Hopefully Preacher will be available otherwise it's hard to disagree with this sentiment.

On 07/05/2016 at 0:30 AM, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah, uh... eh! Y'know? This show took a nose dive off the shit tree and hit every branch on the way down.

On 7/4/2016 at 7:06 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I wonder if Vikings is going to bump up against The Last Kingdom, and start telling the same story from a different perspective, or if it will end when Ragnar ends.

The latter, I'd imagine. Lagertha and Bjorn are dope, but I'm not watching for Ole Ironsides if you know what I mean.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I wonder if Vikings is going to bump up against The Last Kingdom, and start telling the same story from a different perspective, or if it will end when Ragnar ends.

New Episode of Preacher wasn't on Amazon UK this morning so I thought I'd give episode 6 a try. It did a great job of reminding me why I didn't get back to watching after a trip to Norway (where I got to see nice Viking scenery :) )

Anyway what a mess. The bath tub softcore erotica was cringe worthy but so's the continued girl power in England. At least they didn't bother with any plot for Lagertha just proposal and stabbing. It's like they want to have GOT style betrayal and murder but don't bother setting up any emotional resonance at all. Which is weird because the guy who got blood eagled back in season 2 was really well handled.

Hopefully Preacher will be available otherwise it's hard to disagree with this sentiment.

On 07/05/2016 at 0:30 AM, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah, uh... eh! Y'know? This show took a nose dive off the shit tree and hit every branch on the way down.

I'm basing this solely on how "the tudors" wound up but I suspect the show will be ditched after Ragnar irrespective of whether there's as interesting stories to tell with his descendants. I just hope they aren't as ridiculous with the ageing (or lack of) of their leads like they were with Henry VIII. I think it may reach tipping point if there's another jump as the original cast just won't look 20 years older than they were when the show began. It's a problem shared with all shows when trying to cover decades of time as ageing the actors or replacing them don't really work out that well. The show has much bigger problems than that though.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I'm basing this solely on how "the tudors" wound up but I suspect the show will be ditched after Ragnar irrespective of whether there's as interesting stories to tell with his descendants. I just hope they aren't as ridiculous with the ageing (or lack of) of their leads like they were with Henry VIII. I think it may reach tipping point if there's another jump as the original cast just won't look 20 years older than they were when the show began. It's a problem shared with all shows when trying to cover decades of time as ageing the actors or replacing them don't really work out that well. The show has much bigger problems than that though.

Some spoilers from the finale of this half of the season (since I'm assuming you aren't finished yet)

Yes there is another time jump, which ages up Ivar and the other kiddies. Ragnar looks marginally older but not much, and same with Bjorn. In the promo for S4.5, Lagertha looks as youthful as ever

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Some spoilers from the finale of this half of the season (since I'm assuming you aren't finished yet)

Hide contents

Yes there is another time jump, which ages up Ivar and the other kiddies. Ragnar looks marginally older but not much, and same with Bjorn. In the promo for S4.5, Lagertha looks as youthful as ever

No surprise there. I don't think they ever give firm dates in the show besides the first one? But if Ivar is 18 - I think it would be safe to assume at least 20 years have passed from the start. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe they do have a time stamp in one of the later episodes?

7 hours ago, red snow said:

No surprise there. I don't think they ever give firm dates in the show besides the first one? But if Ivar is 18 - I think it would be safe to assume at least 20 years have passed from the start. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe they do have a time stamp in one of the later episodes?

Well there has been time for Bjorn to grow into adulthood and father a child, and for Aslaug to give birth to 4 children, all of whom have grown to adulthood too. So I guess more than 20 years. 

I want to know Lagertha's secret :P 

Archived