Vikings X: Halfway Through the Madness

Corvinus85

There were a couple of great moment, mostly focused on the figure of Ragnar (his flashback of the past, him and Bjorn quitely supporting Lagertha) but aside from that the season was mostly shit. I think it's a testament to how great the cast (and particularly Travis Fimmel) can be that I'm still watching this. 

17 hours ago, red snow said:

Some of these highlights must be in the 2 episodes I'm still finding little motivation to watch. I'd argue some of that list was "hilariously bad" rather than genuinely cool.

Such as?  Nothing I listed was sand snakes bad.  Or Arya surviving the stabbing to her gut pre surgery  and pre penicillin.  Even Benioff and Weiss jettisoned Dorn for the most part when they realized what a turd it was.

i just have a different opinion and really enjoy the show.  As a whole I thought 4a was weaker than 1-3... But not the crapfest that's being suggested and its high points are being minimized or ignored. I am hopeful for 4A.  Shows can have an off season or episodes  and right themselves.  

2 hours ago, generalzod said:

Such as?  Nothing I listed was sand snakes bad.  Or Arya surviving the stabbing to her gut pre surgery  and pre penicillin.  Even Benioff and Weiss jettisoned Dorn for the most part when they realized what a turd it was.

i just have a different opinion and really enjoy the show.  As a whole I thought 4a was weaker than 1-3... But not the crapfest that's being suggested and its high points are being minimized or ignored. I am hopeful for 4A.  Shows can have an off season or episodes  and right themselves.  

Ragnar getting high was terrible in my opinion - at best it was an excuse to let Fimmel be even crazier than usual.

Then there's the counterbalancing: for every Bjorn fighting a beserker there's at least a bjorn fighting a bear. For every Rollo beating up Ragnar there's every single scene with Rollo from episode 1-5.

It's cool you can see through the shit. For me the highlights are the cinematography and secretly backing aethelwulf as the underdog.

I'm crossing my fingers that the good stuff is in part 2 and that you good people keep me informed.

And for every Bjorn and Ragnar comforting Lagertha you have a hamfisted attempt by Hirst to write in feminist Judith or whatever her name is. 

He did not manage to do so successfully.

And then you have 50 Shades of Odo.

The incest twins who were totally pointless.

The nonesense that was the entire "court intrigue" plot line in Paris.

And of course Halfdan, because we all loved him so much from season 3. 

Floki going all weird and having weird vision sex with Aslaug. Sure, you could say he was becoming the new Seer, but the 4B trailer shows that idea is pretty much a dead duck.

And also everything that was Yidu and Ragnar's drug addiction

1 hour ago, generalzod said:

Halfdan?  Do you mean Harbard?  I think Halfdan is the Hitler Youth looking Viking brother of King Finehair.  

And those two, to me, are another + of season 4.  They're psychotic Viking a-holes.  

No, they were not a good part of the season, they were kind of awful. What started out promising ended up just being lame when they just turned them into one dimensional dicks. Seriously, there was no point to them being there, and they just ended up being cartoon villains. Also, no clue why they were calling him Finehair, as he didn't take on that monicur until he took over Norway, up until then he was know as Tanglehair or Shockhead because he didn't cut or comb his hair until he became king of Norway, but that has no real bearing on what we're talking about.

This last season was awful, so many anacornism and general shitty writing bogged down what could have been interesting. I mean, a Chinese Princess? Really?

11 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Agreed. 

Shows back Nov. 30th btw

Just saw this too. I'm going to tune in, with low expectations. If it's like this last half season I won't be back for season 5. 

And yeah I meant Harbard. Why anyone thought another season with him was a good idea is baffling. 

I actually completely forgot about Halfdan. A potentially promising pair of characters who turned into...nothing, really.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Well your favorite pitiful little band of rebel scum is returning to plague your mighty empire in a little over a week. :D

I fixed that for you :P, I'm not a big watcher of Rebels tbh, not enough me in it.

16 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

No, they were not a good part of the season, they were kind of awful. What started out promising ended up just being lame when they just turned them into one dimensional dicks. Seriously, there was no point to them being there, and they just ended up being cartoon villains. Also, no clue why they were calling him Finehair, as he didn't take on that monicur until he took over Norway, up until then he was know as Tanglehair or Shockhead because he didn't cut or comb his hair until he became king of Norway, but that has no real bearing on what we're talking about.

So disagree... They burned the French to death.  Awesome. The shack scene.  Awesome. Ragnar ignoring them.  Awesome. That crazy ass song they sing. Awesome.  Their whacked out look.  Awesome.

Are you really busting on the show for not calling the guy tangle hair?  What's your documented proof that's the name he went by?  Historians can't even agree if Ivar was crippled or not but they all claim to "know."  The few sagas, sources, and chronicles are not consistent and hardly definitive.  You can't bust on Hirst because he didn't make the choice you would have.

Not to absolve the show of its anachronisms, but a lot of people claim to know a lot when they can't even decide if Ivar of the Great Heathen Army was the same guy that conquered Ireland.  We have a few definitive pieces of info, and the rest is sketchy as hell.

Im excited by November 30 though.  Will there be a new thread or will you guys continue this one? 

9 hours ago, generalzod said:

So disagree... They burned the French to death.  Awesome. The shack scene.  Awesome. Ragnar ignoring them.  Awesome. That crazy ass song they sing. Awesome.  Their whacked out look.  Awesome.

Are you really busting on the show for not calling the guy tangle hair?  What's your documented proof that's the name he went by?  Historians can't even agree if Ivar was crippled or not but they all claim to "know."  The few sagas, sources, and chronicles are not consistent and hardly definitive.  You can't bust on Hirst because he didn't make the choice you would have.

Not to absolve the show of its anachronisms, but a lot of people claim to know a lot when they can't even decide if Ivar of the Great Heathen Army was the same guy that conquered Ireland.  We have a few definitive pieces of info, and the rest is sketchy as hell.

Im excited by November 30 though.  Will there be a new thread or will you guys continue this one?

Man, just because they did stuff, doesn't mean they were worth the time they spent on screen. What did they really add? They showed us the Vikings can be dicks? We already know that, it's long been established. They were just pointless.

And yes, we do know that he was called Tanglehair before ascending to kingship of Norway, at least according to the histories we have, because we have those in the form of Skaldic poems that tell the tale of the unification of Norway, which is also something of a love story. Like I said, that was neither here nor there, it's not an issue.

As for the anachronisms I mentioned, I'm mostly talking about the awfulness in Wessex. That was roughly a third of the show and it was positively wretched. Adultery was one of the biggest social taboos of the time, and literally the only person who give a flying fuck is Aelle. Not to mention the foolishness that is Hirst's moving the Women's Liberation movement forward to the 9th century.

I'm interested to see what they do in the upcoming portion of the season, because there was a time that I loved this show, but it's not like I'm holding my breath that Hirst won't pull some stupid shit.

53 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

As for the anachronisms I mentioned, I'm mostly talking about the awfulness in Wessex. That was roughly a third of the show and it was positively wretched. Adultery was one of the biggest social taboos of the time, and literally the only person who give a flying fuck is Aelle. Not to mention the foolishness that is Hirst's moving the Women's Liberation movement forward to the 9th century.

Yeah, they dropped the ball with Wessex. I liked it when it was an ambitious king trying to emulate and recapture the knowledge that made the Romans so powerful.

The girl power thing, as Hirst presents it, is ridiculous. If she was the Queen then I could maybe see it but not some princess who only recenlty was at a stake getting her ear cut off adultery. The only thing that maybe makes it "rational" (although I doubt Hirst wants us to acknowledge this) is that Judith has no intention of spreading her liberation movement to anyone other than herself. Which is how the nobility behaved.

Archived