Warcraft movie: There might be spoilers from books and the games.

Jon's Queen Consort

Ok I searched about a thread like this in the last 10 pages and I found nothing. So, this is a thread about Warcraft the movie.

Based on the Warcraft games a new movie is coming in June. With Travis Fimmel, also known as Ragnar Lothbrok, as Sir Anduin Lothar and Toby Kebbell, who played Doctor Doom at the last Fantastc 4 movie, as Durotan  as the lead protagonists, Lothar for the Alliance and Durotan for the Horde.  

Truth be told I haven’t played the game or read any of the book yet. But I loved it after seeing the trailer, last time something like that happened I ended up here discussing the ASOIAF books.

Any way let the discussion begin!

We had a very long and in-depth thread. What the heck happened to it?

Ah. I think this was it. It was reactivated a few months ago when the trailers hit, a lot of people agreed the trailers looked awful, and then those new posts were lost in the forum upgrade.

I thought the trailer looked terrible the first couple of times I watched it, but it grew on me. I'm not expecting anything more than a mindless action popcorn flick with some "OH SHIT IT'S <insert nostalgia inducing character/plot point here>!" elements and that's just fine.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

We had a very long and in-depth thread. What the heck happened to it?

I was sure that there would had been a thread but since it is archived we can keep this one?

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

I thought the trailer looked terrible the first couple of times I watched it, but it grew on me.

The first time I saw the trailer I was "Ragnar?" and "What the heck happens in this movie?" I found the wikia and a channel on yt that explained the lore and history. I still however have no idea about the big picture.

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

'm not expecting anything more than a mindless action popcorn flick with some "OH SHIT IT'S <insert nostalgia inducing character/plot point here>!" elements and that's just fine.

Agree. Sometimes *mindless* movies are just fine. 

This movie should have been released like ten years ago :lol:

I think it will be ok. We already planned to go and watch it for my son's bday, as he's super fan of Warcraft (and by extension, everybody else in the house). I don't think it will suck. Many fans seem to be pleased. I remember I read a comment saying "WC fans should feel pleased they are taking the jobs to adapt the stories accurately".

1 hour ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

This movie should have been released like ten years ago :lol:

For real. If this thing had come out in 2008 I'd have been just as excited as your son. :lol:

I will admit that the latest round of trailers looks a whole sight better than the first. Doubt I will head to the movies to see this but I'm interested in catching it later.

It's going to be a fantasy popcorn CGI fest. Just like, well, Warcraft has always been. Blizzard is known for many things, good writing is not one of them. I'm not expecting this to be any different.

The idea of this movie is simply bizarre to me. There are a lot of things I like about the Warcraft Universe, but not the stories, which seem like watered down games workshop fluff. 

Just from looking at the trailers I cannot understand what this movie is going for. It seems serious and dramatic.. yet features large cartoonish Orcs. 

I'm worried it will be pretty bad.  I don't know.  Maybe going in with low expectations will help.  I haven't logged in to WoW in months but I haven't even considered not buying Legion.  There was a time not too terribly long ago when I played WoW every single day.  I was wrapped up in that thing.  There is no way I will not see this movie in the theater.

I was out on WoW a couple of expansions ago (the freaking pandarians did me in) after being a Beta tester (meaning...emotional and financial investment.)

I was kind of meh about the movie. Not exactly excited, but I'll see it.

I've only played the strategy games that preceded WoW. It does look like the movie is going with that origin story that the strategy games had. A decent story, imo, but the so far none of the trailers inspired any kind of confidence that this will be good.

Archived