The Night Of (HBO)

AncalagonTheBlack

I loved the pilot. Watched it a few weeks back on HBO Go so I'm excited to see where it goes from here.  

On 7/13/2016 at 7:12 PM, Sci-2 said:

Incredible first episode.

The tension of Naz waiting in the police station was great, given you know he's not getting out of there scott free.

Right? And the way they finally caught onto him, the timing, everything, just amazing television.

I liked the second episode but not nearly as much as the first.

Isn't this thing only 8 eps long? Or is it 10?

Because, sadly, unless I missed something major this episode seemed to spin its wheels a bit?

I thought it was a solid 2nd episode, but the first episode was really great so I'm not surprised it didn't match it.

Spoiler

Box did hesitate, and blink, when the D.A. asked if the case is a slam dunk so it's gonna be interesting to see how he deals with the evidence not matching up with his instincts, assuming it goes that way. And he gave Naz a Harvard shirt, what a dick move. Poor kid is going through hell.

7 hours ago, Sci-2 said:

I liked the second episode but not nearly as much as the first.

Isn't this thing only 8 eps long? Or is it 10?

Because, sadly, unless I missed something major this episode seemed to spin its wheels a bit?

Thought the same thing. 

Turturro was good though. 

19 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Hide contents

I just really hope that it's not those two guys he had the tiff with on the night of the murder.... that would be some hackery

.... and John Turturro is friggin' fantastic

If it's going to be a character we've met I think it almost has to be the guy who was with J.D. Williams outside her apartment. He gave them a really weird look as they walked away. Or it'll just turn out to be her ex who was the reason she didn't want to be alone who we haven't met yet. 

Spoiler

Agree. That dude with Bodie did give Naz a rather sinister look, and Bodie did say he was alone walking to the cops. Or the guy on the motorcycle who looked at Naz twice when they were stopped at the light. Both are probably reaching and it probably is just an ex we haven't met, but who knows?

And of course, there's always the possibility that Naz, completely out of his mind on drugs and alcohol, killed her while hallucinating that he was fixing a sandwich or something and simply has no memory of it.  Completely out of character for him, certainly not something he was planning, but he'd never done drugs before, he even said he normally doesn't drink.

1 hour ago, DivisionByZero said:

Hide contents

And of course, there's always the possibility that Naz, completely out of his mind on drugs and alcohol, killed her while hallucinating that he was fixing a sandwich or something and simply has no memory of it.  Completely out of character for him, certainly not something he was planning, but he'd never done drugs before, he even said he normally doesn't drink.

If that's the route they go I'm going to be really annoyed. They took MDMA & cocaine, neither of those things cause hallucinations. Though doing both at the same time is fucking insanely stupid, plus mixing them with alcohol just to kick the stupid up another notch. Also, even if they'd taken LSD or something...it doesn't work that way. The old "baby in the oven cause she thought it was a turkey" myth is just that, a myth. Unless they go with "the cocaine was actually PCP or bath salts or something" in which case I'd also be kinda disappointed.

Without speculating who the actual murderer is, Don't you think it's better writing as a mystery if the real killer is seen early on? I hope the killer has been introduced in one of these first two episodes. I'd be real dissapointed if the culprit is revealed out of nowhere at the end of episode eight.

Anyone else think Mickey Doyle is involved? Maybe too obvious but I'm leaning toward it being someone she knew. Her whole attitude in the cab was like she knew something was going to happen. Angry ex or angry step-dad would make sense, especially since Naz himself was left alone. If it had been Bodie's friend you'd think Naz would be the one he'd be trying to hurt. Although I guess framing him is one hell of a way to do that.

50 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Hide contents

Anyone else think Mickey Doyle is involved? Maybe too obvious but I'm leaning toward it being someone she knew. Her whole attitude in the cab was like she knew something was going to happen. Angry ex or angry step-dad would make sense, especially since Naz himself was left alone. If it had been Bodie's friend you'd think Naz would be the one he'd be trying to hurt. Although I guess framing him is one hell of a way to do that.

I considered it for a minute, but then decided I don't think so. He seemed legitimately shocked, and his initial reaction when called doesn't seem right to me if he was the killer. Something like "what's she done now?" as a cover sure, but the whole "I don't care anymore let her rot in jail" thing does not line up with him being the killer, in my opinion. Nor does his initially failing to identify the body. They know it's her, she had a criminal record so fingerprints could have proved that, so it's not like he was trying to fool them into thinking some random other girl was murdered in her house. I think he just hadn't seen her for a while and she cut/dyed her hair or whatever.

With Bodie's friend it could have been a combination jealousy/racism thing. Or it could have been as simple as him being a psychopath who noticed she didn't lock the door and that Naz was out of it and saw an opportunity. 

Edit: Oops my spoiler box ended up in your quote box and I can't seem to fix it. Oh well.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Hide contents

Can't figure what Omar's deal is. Why is he so interested in helping Nasir? That veal scene was weird as hell...

Spoiler

I'm intrigued too and figured Naz was gonna ask him why, but he never did.

Another really solid episode. Gonna be interesting to see how Stone gets back into the fold. Maybe the whole "prop" dig with Crowe's assistant will pay off, or just the fact that Naz prefers him. I liked how Stone went to the DA to talk business and she just gave him a suit recommendation. 

Archived