Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

LOCUSTS! I'm traveling through West Virginia and the 17 year locusts are out.  Little bastards are everywhere. My dads poor truck is splattered with the guys. 

Edit: And I know they're actually Cicadas.

Edit 2: turns out they make pretty nice fishing bait. 

On 04/06/2016 at 5:50 AM, Triskan said:

I'm still tempted to start a thread on the breathtaking, unprecedented human challenge of elevator etiquette.  It shouldn't be so difficult, and yet...

I do think that in my endless searching, however, I have found a clue....

It relates to the oft-repeated scientific finding that there are five major personality traits.  Traits 2-5 are irrelevant for this discussion.  The trait in question is "conscientiousness."  I have it in abundance, as do you, gentle reader and dear friend.  But some of our fellows do not.  That is why, after decades of encountering elevators, they attempt to board the moment the door slides ajar. 

What shall we do with them?  Do not mistake conscientious with merciful. 

Exit quickly and gently bump into them, then say sorry. They're the same people who don't put their hand on the door which you're holding open for them, as you all pass through, and they say not thankyou.

I wonder do they be the first to become cannibal on shipwreck island.

I can't find the usual what-are-you-mad-about-today thread, so I'll put my complaint here.*  I work in a big office -- 24 teachers separated by cubicles.  Just now someone started clipping her fingernails.  That loud clinking has too be the worst noise in the world.

* ETA: I see it now there on the first page. Sorry.

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Lord Pumpkin said:

Exit quickly and gently bump into them, then say sorry. They're the same people who don't put their hand on the door which you're holding open for them, as you all pass through, and they say not thankyou.

I wonder do they be the first to become cannibal on shipwreck island.

Being oblivious to their surroundings would I suspect, make them easy pickings on said situation on a desert  island.  

Gauva juice is superior to both Mango and Papaya juice.

My juice pecking order-

1. Gauva

2. Welsh's Grape

3. Grapefruit

4. OJ

5. Papaya

6. Mango

7. Apple

8. Cranberry throatchoke

I dont know why I need to rate these but i'm sick of always finding Mango juice when Guava is the hidden good stuff, and cranberry...don't even get me started about that poison.

Taking cotton out of medicine bottles gives me shivers/goossbumps, even just thinking about it, I should post a pic of my arm but it's too dark in here.

Also hi all, I see some familiar "faces". Been off the board awhile (years?), just started dipping my toes back in.

Gauva juice IS  awesome, especially cut with vodka.

Brazil i'm secretly pulling for you to squash all the odds and pull off a Rio miracle. The country that has Carnival, the Amazon and vast potential, needs a Win. Screw those poison mosquitoes, and water issues,  GO Rio games.......I'll be safely watching on the telly of course lolol.

But seriously I hope somehow the Games are a great success, the media is pretty adept at selling these "The Sky is Falling" headlines, so I'm gonna reserve a wait and see judgement.

GO Rio!

I just bought a big pack of ice cream and went home only to discover that I don't like the flavor at all (I thought it was vanilla based but it's actually mango, ugh). 

Do you think I should go ahead and eat it anyway since I already paid for it, or should I just throw it away since my day is already ruined? 

8 hours ago, Hello World said:

I just bought a big pack of ice cream and went home only to discover that I don't like the flavor at all (I thought it was vanilla based but it's actually mango, ugh). 

Do you think I should go ahead and eat it anyway since I already paid for it, or should I just throw it away since my day is already ruined? 

The correct action in this situation would be to eat 3 or 4 bites so you can say you tried, and then throw it away. 

On June 10, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Tywin et al. said:

So yesterday I was driving my sports car that I bought two weeks ago down the freeway. I was playing with some of the buttons on the wheel when I noticed that there was a cinder block laying in the middle of the road. I, understandably, screamed like a small child, but was thankfully able to dodge it just in time. When I looked back to make sure I wasn't day dreaming I saw the car behind me not being so lucky and nailing the sucker. The front of the car bounced up at least two feet. Bad deal for that sedan.

Also, I just realized I left the beer I just bought in the trunk of said car. It's 94 degrees outside here in Minneapolis. 

When I lived in the Vegas Valley it used to get so hot that a beverage can left in my Jeep would explode like a mini hydrogen bomb, the can would look like one of those mushroomed water towers afterwards, very messy bizness.

On May 31, 2016 at 7:41 AM, LongRider said:

Have you ever noticed that in movies or TV shows that before  a horse appears there will be some kind of 'horse' noise first?  It's like the showrunners think people need to be warned before hand; "Watch out!  Horse coming!  Watch out!"  Then they have the nosiest horses in the world on screen.  Really, horses don't usually make that much noise.  All that grunting, and nickering and snorting all the time, LOL.  Horses don't need a sound track.

It's silly.

Yeah I forgot the term, I think its referred to as a (sound gaffer maybe ?) , its where they add all these cheesy noises to movies like clucking horse hooves, revving car engines, squealing car tires, gun clicks, punch impacts, etc, etc. Its a carryover practice from the old days of radio shows. Hollywood assumes the audience cant piece together scenes without there clunky effects, quite annoying I agree.

Dear Board,
I am tired of being sick. First I had a wicked stomach virus (you know the one, not sure which end to put over the toilet.) Then, it was a throat infection, THEN a common cold. Plus, I have a cracked lip from being so dehydrated and it looks gross and won't heal. I've been ill almost the whole month of June and I want to feel normal again.

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Yeah I forgot the term, I think its referred to as a (sound gaffer maybe ?) , its where they add all these cheesy noises to movies like clucking horse hooves, revving car engines, squealing car tires, gun clicks, punch impacts, etc, etc. Its a carryover practice from the old days of radio shows. Hollywood assumes the audience cant piece together scenes without there clunky effects, quite annoying I agree.

They're called Foley artists.

Does anyone else have the issue of wanting to be more active socially but then you just can't do it? Because seriously, I can't even interact with people online without getting panicky. It took me five months to even make an account on here without being terrified!

Archived