50 Dead, Dozens Wounded in Orlando Club Shooting

Jace, Extat

Another reminder of how terrible up the world is. Condolences to the victims and I hope law enforcement finds information on motive at where this fucker lived.

4 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

They just changed the number killed to 50 and 53 in the hospital.

So horrible

That's not clear yet. The Mayor said "50 casualties and 53 more hospitalized." But casualty doesn't necessarily mean dead; he might be including people who received minor wounds but were sent home already.

I hope.

ETA: And nope. Just say other officials confirm it was 50 dead. Fuck.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

That's not clear yet. The Mayor said "50 casualties and 53 more hospitalized." But casualty doesn't necessarily mean dead; he might be including people who received minor wounds but were sent home already.

I hope.

I'm watching NBC, and the label at the bottom said 50 dead + 53 injured.  

2 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

The shooter was 29, US-born to Afghan parents. No word if it's Islam or homophobia-related.

His father at least thinks it was a hate crime.

Mir Seddique, Mateen's father told NBC News, "this has nothing to do with religion." Seddique said his son got angry when he saw two men kissing in Miami a couple of months ago and thinks that may be related to the shooting.

"We are saying we are apologizing for the whole incident. We weren't aware of any action he is taking. We are in shock like the whole country," Seddique said.

3 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I'm not sure what to say beyond "This is awful." It's the worst single shooting that I can think of; Time says it's the worst in US history.

it must be the second biggest one in history, only the Norway one i think is bigger.

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

50 people murdered and only 10 posts this long after.  it shows how far out of hand shit has got over there with gun violence. 

I think it's at least partly a function of who reads the news early on a Sunday morning and then thinks to come here to comment on it. It's still before 9am on the West coast of the US, and before noon on the East Coast.

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

50 people murdered and only 10 posts this long after.  it shows how far out of hand shit has got over there with gun violence. 

it is ordinary.  the sad truth is routine massacres via firearm are ordinary here. 

every single time I am deeply saddened, angry and without understanding. 

and then it happens again. 

It's utterly tragic that such shootings continue to happen. Each one is saddening. 

However, while there is something to be said for expressing one's support, it doesn't do anything about changing the problem. And the numerous threads on gun control here attest to just how difficult addressing the problem really is. To me, that makes the situation worse.

22 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Partly what Xray said in that it's still early on a Sunday here.  But also, there really isn't much to say about it anymore since this country decided that they were perfectly fine with a room full of kindergartners being mowed down.  This is my daily reality.  People will be mowed down by bullets, the brown perpetrators will be called thugs or terrorists, the white ones will be mentally ill.  No one cares because the NRA has convinced them that they all need to have to have guns.  

My deepest sympathies to all affected by this in any way.

I know I share rage and frustration by the impotence I find myself in each time this happens.

I support gun control. I support revising the 2nd amendment, today I support ripping the fucking thing out of the bill of rights and tossing it in the garbage.

I can't even donate blood because of my disorder. I would if I could but what good does that do? Why do I feel the need to say that? I just do.

I'm so sorry and so useless. I'm sorry.

Archived