Characters you dislike or hate

norwaywolf123

I don't hate any character, that requires effort. There's a lot of characters I don't care about, but chances are they're not present enough to bother me. The only ones that I dislike are Catelyn and Dany - both of which are facepalm-worthy AND have a lot of page-time. Cersei post Purple Wedding is also very annoying; "Look how evul I am, hurr durr."  Ramsay is also a lame cardboard cutout villain who's pure evil, but he's not that present in the books, and honestly - after what the show's done with the character - I can't complain about the book version. 

Oh so many Jon Snow haters and none of them explains why only this

On 16.6.2016 at 2:09 PM, zorkman said:

Jon Snow - Not because he is boring, which he isn't, but for the fact he keeps getting flung into your face of how great he is & will finish up on the Iron Throne. Hopefully, the author is strong & keeps him dead.

You want say, everybody calling him a bastard shows us, how great he is, or what.

I think most of the answers are show biased

On 6/16/2016 at 10:00 AM, Good Guy Garlan said:

Nimble Dick

Not Nimble Dick!!! I liked him. Anyways, mine are Victorian, Aeron, Euron, Asha, and Balon. To put it better, pretty much everyone from the Iron Islands except Theon (who's character arc is spectacular). I'm not a big fan of Petyr Baelish either....but he makes things interesting. I do want him to die though, for sure, hopefully in the next book. 

Also, why is there so much hate for Catelyn? I honestly don't get it. Did she do anything stupider than Eddard, Theon, Jon, Robert Baratheon, Stannis, or ....her own son did?

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 6:30 AM, yakisikli123 said:

OPh so many Jon Snow haters and none of them explains why only this

You want say, everybody calling him a bastard shows us, how great he is, or what.

I think most of the answers are show biased

I find him bland and boring with the most generic fantasy hero personality. The worst kind of character ASOIAF could give. 

Also because his "destined to greatness" thing is shoved into your face. That maybe partly because of the ridiculous fan theories about how he will get everything. 

15 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Not Nimble Dick!!! I liked him. Anyways, mine are Victorian, Aeron, Euron, Asha, and Balon. To put it better, pretty much everyone from the Iron Islands except Theon (who's character arc is spectacular). I'm not a big fan of Petyr Baelish either....but he makes things interesting. I do want him to die though, for sure, hopefully in the next book. 

Also, why is there so much hate for Catelyn? I honestly don't get it. Did she do anything stupider than Eddard, Theon, Jon, Robert Baratheon, Stannis, or ....her own son did?

I don't like c atelyn because she is awful to Jon, a freaking baby when she meets him, and she is pompous and duty blah honor blah my place blah blah blah. She's not dumb, just annoying and bitchy.

8 hours ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

I don't like c atelyn because she is awful to Jon, a freaking baby when she meets him, and she is pompous and duty blah honor blah my place blah blah blah. She's not dumb, just annoying and bitchy.

I disagree strongly. She has a strong desire to help her children and I think does a great job. She gives good advice that Robb ignores, and is willing to do anything within her power to help her children. I'd be whining too if someone killed my husband, my two youngest sons (as far as she knows), was holding my two daughters (as far she knows), and oh yeah, my father was dieing too. Oh yeah, and although everyone treats her somewhat respectively, because she is a woman they ignore her sound advice. Again, I wouldn't be very happy if I was giving good advice and everyone (Robb, Renly, Edmure...) was ignoring me. As far as the bitchy comment goes, Stannis Baratheon (who gets not nearly as much hate) bitches far more, and for that matter Tyrion (loved by all of fandom) bitches constantly too (Bla bla Lannister honor, bla bla I don't get anything, bla bla I'm super rich, arrogant, and look down on everyone who isn't a Lannister). Also, as far as being mean to Jon..he represents her husbands infedility. Granted it wasn't fair to put that hate on John, but neither was Stannis literally killing his brother, Tyrion thinking he was better than Penny constantly, and oh yeah, giving Aegon bad advice that will probably get himself as well as all his followers killed, Tywin,...well everything Tywin does is awful. Oh yeah, and Arya leaves the Hound to die....Daenerys hangs however many Meerenese nobles up, additional awful thing other characters do. Honestly, as far as this book goes, Catelyn has her hands relatively clean. 

26 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I disagree strongly. She has a strong desire to help her children and I think does a great job. She gives good advice that Robb ignores, and is willing to do anything within her power to help her children. I'd be whining too if someone killed my husband, my two youngest sons (as far as she knows), was holding my two daughters (as far she knows), and oh yeah, my father was dieing too. Oh yeah, and although everyone treats her somewhat respectively, because she is a woman they ignore her sound advice. Again, I wouldn't be very happy if I was giving good advice and everyone (Robb, Renly, Edmure...) was ignoring me. As far as the bitchy comment goes, Stannis Baratheon (who gets not nearly as much hate) bitches far more, and for that matter Tyrion (loved by all of fandom) bitches constantly too (Bla bla Lannister honor, bla bla I don't get anything, bla bla I'm super rich, arrogant, and look down on everyone who isn't a Lannister). Also, as far as being mean to Jon..he represents her husbands infedility. Granted it wasn't fair to put that hate on John, but neither was Stannis literally killing his brother, Tyrion thinking he was better than Penny constantly, and oh yeah, giving Aegon bad advice that will probably get himself as well as all his followers killed, Tywin,...well everything Tywin does is awful. Oh yeah, and Arya leaves the Hound to die....Daenerys hangs however many Meerenese nobles up, additional awful thing other characters do. Honestly, as far as this book goes, Catelyn has her hands relatively clean. 

How is Arya leaving that child murdering piece of shit to die awful? 

She should have set his ass on fire. 

44 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Where does it say he is a child murderer? I agree he is not a nice man, and don't blame Arya leaving him to die all alone, but I don't remember him killing children. Unless you mean the butchers boy, which was certainly an evil act, but certainly not what would be described as a child in those days.

49 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

I was fine with Arya's decision to be quite honest. My only point is no one has their hands clean. Sandor Clegane is far from noble, but he was also a product of this world. I particularly like the speech that Septon Meribald gives in one of Brienne's chapters about "Broken Men". I guess my point is its ridiculous that the most common people who people hate are Euron Greyjoy (who raped and murdered his family members, as well as countless other acts), Other Greyjoys (who also raped and killed a lot of people), Cersei (responsible for the deaths of countless people and extremely self centered to the point of destroying everyone around her), and Catelyn (a fairly good mother who wasn't happy her husband cheated on her, but unable to get rid of the sign of Eddard's cheating, ....couldn't get over Jon being there.) Do you not see how Catelyn isn't comparable to the other hated characters in any way whatsoever? In fact, she is often compared to Cersei.....because.....oh lets just face it. They're sexist, for god's sake. No one hates men who are similarly making mistakes, in fact they excuse their mistakes. Cersei, I understand, she's evil. But Catelyn Tully is just a person trying to do her best in the role she has been born into. People who hate Catelyn, yet think Tyrion is awesome....frustrate me to no end. Tyrion is just as arrogant as Catelyn, if not more so. And he has done a whole lot of more evil things than her. At least Catelyn never raped his lady wife cause his father told him to do it. Anyways, my point is all of the characters are mostly products of the script, except particularly evil ones. The fact that Catelyn always ranks up their with sociopaths speaks volumes about how people still feel about women......I wish it wasn't sexism, but it almost certainly is. 

27 minutes ago, zorkman said:

Where does it say he is a child murderer? I agree he is not a nice man, and don't blame Arya leaving him to die all alone, but I don't remember him killing children. Unless you mean the butchers boy, which was certainly an evil act, but certainly not what would be described as a child in those days.

He murdered an innocent child and as far as I'm concerned Mycah was a child. 

2 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Comparisons don't work, no character is universally liked so bringing them up isn't going to explain why people don't like Cat. Some people don't decide how much they like a character by how clean their hands are, simple as that.

23 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I was fine with Arya's decision to be quite honest. My only point is no one has their hands clean. Sandor Clegane is far from noble, but he was also a product of this world. I particularly like the speech that Septon Meribald gives in one of Brienne's chapters about "Broken Men". I guess my point is its ridiculous that the most common people who people hate are Euron Greyjoy (who raped and murdered his family members, as well as countless other acts), Other Greyjoys (who also raped and killed a lot of people), Cersei (responsible for the deaths of countless people and extremely self centered to the point of destroying everyone around her), and Catelyn (a fairly good mother who wasn't happy her husband cheated on her, but unable to get rid of the sign of Eddard's cheating, ....couldn't get over Jon being there.) Do you not see how Catelyn isn't comparable to the other hated characters in any way whatsoever? In fact, she is often compared to Cersei.....because.....oh lets just face it. They're sexist, for god's sake. No one hates men who are similarly making mistakes, in fact they excuse their mistakes. Cersei, I understand, she's evil. But Catelyn Tully is just a person trying to do her best in the role she has been born into. People who hate Catelyn, yet think Tyrion is awesome....frustrate me to no end. Tyrion is just as arrogant as Catelyn, if not more so. And he has done a whole lot of more evil things than her. At least Catelyn never raped his lady wife cause his father told him to do it. Anyways, my point is all of the characters are mostly products of the script, except particularly evil ones. The fact that Catelyn always ranks up their with sociopaths speaks volumes about how people still feel about women......I wish it wasn't sexism, but it almost certainly is. 

So I think this is completely unfair... And while we all use our own metrics to judge characters, saying that a dislike of Cat is sexist is just plain silly... almost as silly as saying her hands are clean. She literally cut the throat of an innocent fool to no end besides petty vengeance. The saddest sound was the little bells

She wasn't a good mother, besides being horrible to Jon for no reason (blame Ned fine, but blaming the baby isn't right) she doesn't seem to parent Arya well, or even deal with Bran's climbing thing well. None of her advise to Rob was very good either, he basically had to parent her after Bran's fall.

I'm not defending other characters like Cersei and Tyrion... But to try and compare her to Ned is a joke... 

But the cherry on top is that she captures Tyrion in a terible plan (if you can even call it that) based on bad information she believed from a spurned suiter. Making her singlehandedly responsible for the war of five kings starting...

So it has nothing to do with her gender, I like a number of female characters, Dany, Arya, even Osha. I don't like Cat because she is incompetent, complains all the time, and is petty to the point of punishing children and fools. 

1 hour ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

So I think this is completely unfair... And while we all use our own metrics to judge characters, saying that a dislike of Cat is sexist is just plain silly... almost as silly as saying her hands are clean. She literally cut the throat of an innocent fool to no end besides petty vengeance. The saddest sound was the little bells

She wasn't a good mother, besides being horrible to Jon for no reason (blame Ned fine, but blaming the baby isn't right) she doesn't seem to parent Arya well, or even deal with Bran's climbing thing well. None of her advise to Rob was very good either, he basically had to parent her after Bran's fall.

I'm not defending other characters like Cersei and Tyrion... But to try and compare her to Ned is a joke... 

But the cherry on top is that she captures Tyrion in a terible plan (if you can even call it that) based on bad information she believed from a spurned suiter. Making her singlehandedly responsible for the war of five kings starting...

So it has nothing to do with her gender, I like a number of female characters, Dany, Arya, even Osha. I don't like Cat because she is incompetent, complains all the time, and is petty to the point of punishing children and fools. 

The idea that Catelyn is petty is nonsense as is the idea that Catelyn is incompetent. In fact I'd say that she is among the most competent people close to Robb.

For being petty I find it hilarious that a person who is petty is the only one to suggest a peace with the Iron Throne after Jamie was captured amd Eddard executed. That peace could have left both North and Riverlands better off to face the Long Night than if their male lords had been less proud, petty and warlike.

And then there's the fact that she recognize how dangerous it is for the Lannisters to be in possession of her daughters when Robb is ignorant of it, as answer to the claim that all her advice was bad.

Furthermore Catelyn is not single-handedly responsible for the War of Five Kings. Taking Tyrion was a bad move but at no point did it cause a war by itself. Robert ordered Eddard to let Catelyn know that Tyrion was to go. If Tyrion had been let to go, there would have been no war. If Robb Stark or Tywin Lannister had decided to answer attacks on their Houses; in both cases one of their members forced to answer for a crime, with either diplomacy or demanding that a fair trial is held with open evidence against the accused before the king and accepted the verdict, there would have been no war etc. Lots of people were involved in creating the clusterfuck known as the War of Five Kings and Catelyn never warged any of them or forced anyone to add their piece to the problem. I will however recognize that Catelyn did have her part in creating the War of Five Kings.

And then in regards to parenting Catelyn was as good a mother as anyone in Westeros and probably better than most. One of the cheif things she managed to install sibling love among her children and ensure that they would be ready for the life once could expect them to have. Arya is a noble's daughter and as such will be married, regardless if she wants it or not as can be seen in how Robb promised her away to a Frey, and have a life or running a household. Trying to prepar her for this is instead of letting her do her games all day long is not bad parenting. Its caring. And since she isn't Jon's mother she can't be a bad parent for being cold to him and having ONE outburst in an emotionally unstable mindset.

On 6/15/2016 at 6:43 AM, norwaywolf123 said:

Jon Snow

Daenerys Targaryen

Cersei Lannister

Robb Stark

Arya Stark

Tyrion Lannister

Tyene Sand

Nymeria Sand

Doran Martell

TYRION?! Why do you hate Tyrion? He is one of my favorite characters. His chapters are my favorite. The narrative from his perspective. Just my favorite.

Archived