[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

I am soooooo. OMG #Emmys2016 are going to be GOOD.

Kit, Maisie, Peter, Lena and Emilia ALL nominated for the Acting categories!!! GoT gets 23 nominations in total! WOW.

I'm at work right now and I cannot focus. SO happy for them all. You think Kit might be able to win it this year? 

58 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

They are probably going to skip Euron (he'll be taken care of like Doran), they seem to want to focus everything on the zombie apocalypse.

I figured he'd be the hamfisted big bad of next year. Except there's nothing about him remotely menacing? He's just a jolly dude who won a crown because of the word "gallivant."

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the house banner for targaryen and the stone structures made by the CotF are spirals that spin counter clockwise. This could be a subtle bit of symbolism for everything. The idea that a Targaryen is ruling the iron throne again(potentially), Bran can see history (possibly Bran the Builder, if you believe that theory), the Others, and Azor Ahai are all things from the past. The other part about the spirals is the concept of the golden spiral which is used for designing and as a concept for "perfection;" all of which the Night King, Targaryen and CotF may believe they are.

1 hour ago, Chebyshov said:

I figured he'd be the hamfisted big bad of next year. Except there's nothing about him remotely menacing? He's just a jolly dude who won a crown because of the word "gallivant."

He's not the big bad of next year, his only purpose was to give Yara a reason to go to Meereen. If they intended him to be a big bad they'd have given more attention to him.

Cersei is the "big bad" of next year. 

1 hour ago, KingofIce said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the house banner for targaryen and the stone structures made by the CotF are spirals that spin counter clockwise. This could be a subtle bit of symbolism for everything. The idea that a Targaryen is ruling the iron throne again(potentially), Bran can see history (possibly Bran the Builder, if you believe that theory), the Others, and Azor Ahai are all things from the past. The other part about the spirals is the concept of the golden spiral which is used for designing and as a concept for "perfection;" all of which the Night King, Targaryen and CotF may believe they are.

The spiral was also used by the WW at the Fist of the First Men. They made one with horses' cadavers. But not sure what to think about it.

I hope Outlander wins for the two it's nominated in, because they are truly earned: Outstanding Costumes for a Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series or Movie, and Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Period Program. Vikings.got three, including one for Outstanding Special Visual Effects, but it's up against GOT's Battle of the Bastards and its amazing wall of dead bodies. Sigh. 

Google Outlander and Emmy nominations and you'll see a LOT of the entertainment press wondering how the entire thing got snubbed, especially the acting and Bear McCreary. 

5 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

I hope Outlander wins for the two it's nominated in, because they are truly earned: Outstanding Costumes for a Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series or Movie, and Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Period Program. Vikings.got three, including one for Outstanding Special Visual Effects, but it's up against GOT's Battle of the Bastards and its amazing wall of dead bodies. Sigh. 

Google Outlander and Emmy nominations and you'll see a LOT of the entertainment press wondering how the entire thing got snubbed, especially the acting and Bear McCreary. 

I've just become an Outlander fan and only watched the first four episodes of s1.

2 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

I envy you for what you're about to enjoy for the first time.... :wub:

Don't want to go off-topic but...may I ask you if it improves from the start? I saw there are 16 episodes. 

26 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

I hope Outlander wins for the two it's nominated in, because they are truly earned: Outstanding Costumes for a Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series or Movie, and Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Period Program. Vikings.got three, including one for Outstanding Special Visual Effects, but it's up against GOT's Battle of the Bastards and its amazing wall of dead bodies. Sigh.

Politics, the CEO of Starz (who is the former CEO of HBO) said the Emmys were about politics. He knows the game because he used to play it. He called them out on the game. They no likey.

20 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Don't want to go off-topic but...may I ask you if it improves from the start? I saw there are 16 episodes. 

It's pretty good all the way through. Episode 7 (The Wedding) is an especially good one. I liked episode 12 (Lallybroch), too. Season 2, trying to decide if my favorite is Faith, Vengeance is Mine, or Dragonfly in Amber. Finale was wonderful...

Oh, the music is wonderful, too. May want to pick up the soundtrack to season 1 (I wore out volume 1 listening to it a bunch), the season 2 one won't be out until October, I think. Bear McCreary. :wub:

I found it got considerably more addictive S1 went on. But holy cow, does it wring the viewer emotionally. No spoilers... but I cried a LOT (for joy, for sadness, for sheer horror). And I did not read the books... and the fans here have been very kind (except about 

Spoiler

Brianna :P

so I'm  pretty unsullied. 

It may help to have watched it live and have a chance to ruminate on each episode. Bingeing helps GoT because you don't have time to think, "Hey... that makes no sense!"

6 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

It's pretty good all the way through. Episode 7 (The Wedding) is an especially good one. I liked episode 12 (Lallybroch), too. Season 2, trying to decide if my favorite is Faith, Vengeance is Mine, or Dragonfly in Amber. Finale was wonderful...

Oh, the music is wonderful, too. May want to pick up the soundtrack to season 1 (I wore out volume 1 listening to it a bunch), the season 2 one won't be out until October, I think. Bear McCreary. :wub:

music is amazing. I already have the opening in my head all the day.

5 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

I found it got considerably more addictive S1 went on. But holy cow, does it wring the viewer emotionally. No spoilers... but I cried a LOT (for joy, for sadness, for sheer horror). And I did not read the books... and the fans here have been very kind (except about 

Reveal hidden contents

Brianna :P

so I'm  pretty unsullied. 

It may help to have watched it live and have a chance to ruminate on each episode. Bingeing helps GoT because you don't have time to think, "Hey... that makes no sense!"

thanks for the info! At the moment, I'm still discovering the characters, so I don't even know the names of them all but it ends wanting to know more!

The podcasts are good, too. I listen to them and think, if only these were the ones who did Game of Thrones. They put a lot of thought and care into the scripts. They really want to get it right for the readers. The CEO said, make the readers happy, and everyone will follow. Start them at the same time as the episode (you can listen to the song to get it at the right place).

https://www.starz.com/series/outlander/more/podcasts

Actually, as an English guy I found Outlander to be pretty insufferable. It leans heavily into the Braveheart tactic of idealizing the Scots and vilifying the English, which can be very hard to swallow. 

To be fair to the show, there are some nasty scots, but every male English character is either a foppish and ignorant bigot, or, in the case of Blackjack, a violent torturer and rapist. As someone who likes his historical fiction nuanced and complex, the first season of Outlander exploits stereotypes on several occasions and leaves a lot to be desired.

Clearly, it's not a show aimed at me, but I'm also put off by the romance angle. Clair's first meeting with Jaime is comical - she arrives in a room filled with a dozen dirty, ugly, middle aged scotsmen, and one young male model. I wonder who she will fall in love with? I'm also wondering if we would be as accepting of a love affair between a married man and a woman he meets on a trip through time, especially since this act of time distorting adultery is the central purpose of both the book and the show. 

That being said, I fully appreciate the ways in which Outlander trumps a show like Game of Thrones. Attention to consistency of character is one way it does this and consistency within the setting is another. The threat of sexual assault hangs in the air above Clare in a way which is believable but avoids being exploitative, which is one element that GOT has failed at in the worst way possible.

Above all else, characters do things which make sense for them to do, not because the plot needs them to, which in comparison to GOT is proof of just how far the show has fallen since season 1. 

Well, I think we bring it up in this thread to contrast with Game of Thrones. If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. This fan of classic romance thinks it's right up there with the best of them. And of course, the female gaze is front and center, a woman expressing desire is genuinely empowering. There is always a bit of contrivance in any story, otherwise not much would happen.

But it's a faithful adaptation, they take a lot of care to make it so. And they add touches of poetry, one podcast, she's talking about a scene with a bird, and it's not to murder it to make a fug dress, but as a metaphor for two women who improbably become friends, and genuinely help each other. They also pay lots of attention to continuity, and basic things this show hand waves.

Also the showrunner makes a point of hiring a writing staff of half men and half women, he likes to hear the different perspectives.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

The podcasts are good, too. I listen to them and think, if only these were the ones who did Game of Thrones. They put a lot of thought and care into the scripts. They really want to get it right for the readers. The CEO said, make the readers happy, and everyone will follow. Start them at the same time as the episode (you can listen to the song to get it at the right place).

https://www.starz.com/series/outlander/more/podcasts

saved link

Archived