[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

4 hours ago, Darkstream said:

Yeah, I was curious too. I watched it with the closed captioning on, this is what he says.

"Gallivanting? Is that the sort of thing you start to say once your dick gets chopped off? Did the great lords of Westeros teach you words like that?"

The fact that I had no doubts he did say doctor, until I check it out, says a lot about d$d's writing in of itself.

:agree: 

Although, that the bolded is even possible, renders these awards completely meaningless to me. I haven't been able to take the Emmys seriously at all, since d$d was nominated for their first one. That somehow they actually won?? :o  What a joke. 

Hopefully, they'll win it for writing "I'm going to fuck the tits off this one."

On 7/17/2016 at 11:53 PM, Le Cygne said:

I think they will stick to very broad story points, but in between, all bets are off. We can only go by what they telegraph. Everyone is just going to do whatever they want them to do. For maximum melodrama, violence, and shock. Although shock is quite predictable at this point.

yeah, that about sums it up but still no logic and it will go into hyperdrive as they only have 7 episodes next year. I bet they cut the cast in half again with the final death toll while they are at it.

I feel like of all the seasons for Maisie to be nominated, they picked one of the worst. I could see her winning for season 2 or 3 but for this season where her character really made no sense? And I have to say that all of the actors seemed to be phoning it in more this season. Kit and Peter do not deserve the nods, and I hope Christian Slater beats them. I really want Mr. Robot to win against GOT in all the categories. It is a show that really deserves the praise it's getting. Rewatching season one of Mr. Robot really proved to me that Sam Esmail really takes his craft seriously. He pays close attention to detail and characterization. He is an amazing director. And watching the season 2 premiere last week I see that his hard work continues.

I still have to watch Mr. Robot, sounds good. As for Maisie, she did make me care about Arya, I wanted to smack the waif myself, if that means anything. She's managed despite the scripts to keep Arya as Arya.

Was just thinking about the Frey pies... how over the top it is that she supposedly chopped them up. She's not Dexter. They could have had her say their blood went into the pies or something.

30 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

yeah, that about sums it up but still no logic and it will go into hyperdrive as they only have 7 episodes next year. I bet they cut the cast in half again with the final death toll while they are at it.

I was thinking, with such a reduced cast and more plots converging, and they said they'd make the episodes longer, it will perhaps seem like as much happens in a season per character as ever. Maybe.

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

I still have to watch Mr. Robot, sounds good. As for Maisie, she did make me care about Arya, I wanted to smack the waif myself, if that means anything. She's managed despite the scripts to keep Arya as Arya.

Was just thinking about the Frey pies... how over the top it is that she supposedly chopped them up. She's not Dexter. They could have had her say their blood went into the pies or something.

See, to me she has come across over-the-top and almost cartoonish since last season's Trant kill. The Frey Pies thing was really terribly executed. The parkour after the multiple stomach wounds and her odd interactions with Jaqen and the Waif, all just felt like a bad b-movie. The last time she made me feel anything was when she put Needle away as she cried.

4 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I was thinking, with such a reduced cast and more plots converging, and they said they'd make the episodes longer, it will perhaps seem like as much happens in a season per character as ever. Maybe.

Oh no. They're making the episodes longer? Just when I thought we'd get through the season as fast as possible.

12 hours ago, SeanF said:

Hopefully, they'll win it for writing "I'm going to fuck the tits off this one."

I think they nominated episode 9, so not that. That line is actually pretty odd, too. How would "fuck the dick off this one" sound? Doesn't even make sense, that would end the fun. No more dick for her. How about a line that's actually sexy for a change?

3 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

See, to me she has come across over-the-top and almost cartoonish since last season's Trant kill. The Frey Pies thing was really terribly executed. The parkour after the multiple stomach wounds and her odd interactions with Jaqen and the Waif, all just felt like a bad b-movie. The last time she made me feel anything was when she put Needle away as she cried.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I didn't even pay attention to most of it, the season was pretty much spoiled, so I was only really watching for little hints here and there. All I remember is I wanted the waif to leave her the hell alone. So I felt something for a character on the show, which is a rare thing these days.

4 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

Oh no. They're making the episodes longer? Just when I thought we'd get through the season as fast as possible.

Not sure where I read that, hopefully I got that right. I'll try to find the article.

Sorry if I'm gonna be repeating some things that have already been said, I neither have the time nor the inclination to go through the eighty pages of this thread. Here are the most glaring problems, in my opinion, with season 6, almost a month after the season finale, after digesting this shit for almost a month. 

- Perhaps the biggest problem (it has been since at least season 5, but in this season it really shows) is that things, mostly illogical, stupid things just kinda happen. There is almost no build-up for anything (except maybe in episode 10 before the big bang), no dramatic tension, nothing. The story doesn't flow, it just happens. There is a plot, and if someone only read the wikipedia recap of all the episodes, that someone could be forgiven for thinking that this show was an exciting, entertaining show (many do think that even after seeing it, sadly) . But that plot is stitched together in the most amateurish way possible, Like if a drunk surgeon botched a plastic surgery. Sadly, we can't sue D&D for butchering a good story. The scenes that come after one another aren't connected most of the time (frankly, this has been a problem almost since the beginning, even when the show was better, but again, this season I think is the worst offender). Characters do important, essential things off screen. Book scenes that are put in are also butchered, stripped of any weight or meaning that they had in the books because of the context. Every bit of drama that could be gained from them is unearned and so, it falls flat on its face. Teleportation and wonderful coincidences are commonplace, that's nothing new. Because the scenes aren't connected very well, there is no sense of how much time passes in each episode, or between scenes. Please, someone tell me, how long did season 6 take in universe? A month? Six months? A year? Because I have no idea from watching the show, the best I can do is guess, and I'm guessing that's all anyone can do. 

-Because of all of this, I feel absolutely nothing when something supposedly dramatic, sad, exciting or uplifting happens, no matter how good the effects or the directing, or the music are. Osha died in a stupid way? Who cares, I saw her last time three years ago. I absolutely feel no connection to her, we didn't get to see her struggles and her journey with Rickon. Because of this, the same goes for him. The literally brought these two back to be plot devices, and week ass ones even at that.  Or what about Benjen? I'd bet my life that 99% of the show only watchers didn't know who the hell he was. And no, Bran calling him uncle didn't help becuase they still didn't know why he was there and why he was dead-ish. Matter of fact, even we don't know those things. I bet they thought they were throwing a bone to book readers by making him Coldhands, but that means absolutely nothing in the context of the show, because at this point, it is completely different from the source material. In reality, Benjen also was just a plot device. We didn't get to find out anything about what happened to him, how he got to Bran, what was his goal, etc, He was not a character. Also, the Three-Eyed-Raven? Who was he exactly? Why was he in a tree? Why did he help Bran? Were the Children of the Forest cutting his har and beard for centuries? By the way, who are they exactly? Now that Bran is the Three-Eyed-Raven, what does being the Three-Eyed-Raven exatcly mean? He gets to reveal important plot details to the audience? Why do I care when Dumb & Dumber clearly don't?

-The dialogue. God, the dialogue. It has been dumbed down so much that I find a hard time believing that a fifteen-year-old intern didn't write it. Anachronistic words (calling kingdoms countries) ? Check! Refering to past events falsely (Tyrion-Theon) ? Check! Do they even know their own fucking show? But perhaps the most ridiculous example is that suddenly, out of the blue, literally everyone believes in and knows who the freaking Night King is, what he wants, who he leads. It's common fucking knowledge. All mystery is gone from the supposed main villain of the show, just like that. Good job D&D!

-The characters. Or lack thereof. Jon was resurrected and he feels nothing about it. He says almost nothing about it. it didn't change anything about him. With the exception of Mel (and Tormund and Edd maybe), characters around him won't even question him about it. They don't care that he was brought back from the dead. They have no reaction to it. Even the fucking people who killed him have no reaction to it! Resurrection is commonplace now! Why didn't the try to resurrect Rickon then? I'd wager Jon had been dead for a longer time when he was brought back than Rickon after the battle. It was worth a shot at least! And don't tell me they didn't find his corpse, because Jon was talking about burying him in the family crypt.

-Arya? Is she no one, or is she Arya Stark now? I've heard conflicting dialogues. How was she able to kill all the Freys and bake them into a pie all by herself? Who cares, we got the revenge scene, wank off to that show fans. Lady Sandra? Is she a bitch or what? Why didn't she tell Jon about the aiding army that was coming? She apologized, but she never justified it, and Jon didn't seem to care that much. That's done, I guess. Is she happy now that Jon is King in the North, or jealous? By the way, why did the lords choose a bastard to be king, when they had, as far as they knew, the only remaining trueborn child of Ned Stark right there? Because a little girl said so? Because of patriarchy? Why??? 

-I could go on about the characters but I think everyone gets my point. There are almost no clear motivations, no inner conflicts, no real drama surrounding them, with the exception of the Hound maybe, now I feel nothing for them. 

-Other stupid shit includes kinslaying being no big deal (why is Tyrion a wanted man again?) , the killing of a leader makes you automatically the new leader, the people will just accept you without question, even when you have little to no claim for leadership (several this season, Dany, Euron, Cersei). There was a time when gaining power took effort even in the show. Not anymore. 

All in all, a horrible season, worse than the last one, It bleeds my heart to see what they turned the story from the books into (which are not perfect, but leauges above this). But even worse is that the general audience eats this shit up. The season six finale scored series high ratings, and GoT is on its way to becoming and being remembered as, in the eye of the public, one of the greatest TV series of all time, beside far superior shows like Breaking Bad or The Wire or Band of Brothers. Just look at the imdb top TV list.

20 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Alfie Allen always stands out in terms of acting, but he never gets nominated. Emmys are not about merit.

Agreed. Emilia Clarke three-time-nominee? Even Kit Harrington????? Where neither Michelle Fairley, nor the great Charles Dance was nominated once? Gimme a break. Even Dinklage's awards, who did well in some scenes, mostly in season 1 I think, were unearned. None of the truly great actors were recognized  and it is a damn shame.

8 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I think they nominated episode 9, so not that. That line is actually pretty odd, too. How would "fuck the dick off this one" sound?

Now you're giving them ideas.

Another nomination should have been for the "white pussy hair" discussion.

11 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

good guess. I do think that reduced named casts reduces costs to have more CGI, Expect more epic battles that make no sense but look dazzling to the skimming eye.

12 hours ago, rosehustle1 said:

I really want Mr. Robot to win against GOT in all the categories. It is a show that really deserves the praise it's getting. Rewatching season one of Mr. Robot really proved to me that Sam Esmail really takes his craft seriously. He pays close attention to detail and characterization. He is an amazing director. And watching the season 2 premiere last week I see that his hard work continues.

Fully agreed. Mr Robot would be the most deserving winner for me.

Season 2 of Fargo was great as well, massively improved upon the first season in my opinion, but that is in the limited series category.

Archived