Football - clouds on the optimism horizon

Rorshach

I find it a bit weird that Mourinho's treatment of Schweinsteiger is being called "disgraceful". Maybe I missed something but how different is Mourinho's treatment of Schweinsteiger vs. Guardiola's treatment of Hart? From what I've read, Mourinho informed Schweinsteiger pretty early on that he was not part of the plans and told to find another club. I don't see what's so disgraceful about that. Personally, I think that a fully fit Schweinsteiger would be valuable to us - the problem is that Schweinsteiger has not been fully fit in years and this may have factored in Mou's thinking, which is why I also think that Jones is going to be shown the door as well.

I certainly agree that pointing the finger at Shaw publicly was the wrong thing to do but also think that the situation is being blown way out of proportion. I'm sure that the vultures in the press have been salivating at the prospect of another Mourinho meltdown and will do whatever they can to exaggerate/manufacture rifts between manager and players and our run of poor results has provided them with the opportunity to do just that.

As for Rooney, he was poor again. Right now he is a bottleneck. The team and formation is being selected to accommodate Rooney to the benefit of no-one. Mourinho is going to have to make the hard choice very soon instead of continuing to try and placate an out of form player, otherwise he isn't going to last very long. Hard to see us getting past City in the next round.

They have started really well.

Having said that I'm sure it's quite at the stage of declaring them pretty much champions elect in September the way a few pundits seem to be. They started like a house on fire last year before before falling away. With West Ham not looking great so far the only side they've played so far who you'd expect to finish in the top 7 or 8 is United and they've shown they've not exactly found the right balance to their side yet.

I agree.  City have looked great so far but they've had similar starts before and faded.  And they've played some pretty soft teams so far.  Even the win against a slipshod Utd was only 2-1, with Zlatan missing an open goal after Bravo dropped a ball and no penalty + red card for Bravo on Rooney.  Despite City dominating the first half, Utd could easily have drawn that game.

Also, most of City's goals still come on fast counter-attacks, which is pretty incredible given their obvious threat.  Bournemouth were criminally naive.  City are deservedly favorites and are playing some gorgeous football but I doubt it will be a progression of 4-0 wins all season.

City have certainly looked impressive but I too hesitate to make any predictions at this stage. I thought City would walk the league last season after their blistering start and look at how that turned out. City together with Liverpool have been the most impressive sides thus far. I'd even give Liverpool the edge in that department considering they've had the much tougher fixtures. City do have a pretty challenging fixture list coming up though: Spurs away before the international break and then six games in 18 days (Everton, United, Southampton, West Brom and two games against Barca). Come November I think that we will have a clearer picture on just how good this City side really is.

1 hour ago, MercurialCannibal said:

City will win the title.  Count on it. 

1 hour ago, Nas! said:

That's what this discussion needed. Thanks, Chef. 

:laugh:

It'll be a bit before we hear from Alex I suspect , but MC appears to be a reasonable replacement. 

6 minutes ago, brAnthelAstgreenseer said:

With Fellaini out Pogba seems to be playing with more freedom. 

Herrera as a deep-lying midfielder really works. He's doing well, holding the line and dictating, and Pogba's running off and making massive gaps in Leicester's defence (Amartey isn't helping plug them). I love the combination of power and featherlight touch.

This is boss. Slow start but once we've started it's everything we should be doing. Consigliere was right that Zlatan will look much better with pace around him.

Archived