Football - clouds on the optimism horizon

Rorshach

2 hours ago, StefCurry said:

Liverpool - Manchester United. Your predictions, please.

Somehow they've selected a ref who lives just a few miles from Old Trafford.  What the suffering fuck!?  So I'm sure there'll be a soft penalty and 55,000 aggrieved scousers howling about it. 

If Lallana, Coutinho and Firmino all start then I'll predict Liverpool to win, even though I hate to tempt fate. 

Rationally, Liverpool are favored to win here and could give United's MF a torrid time all day.  But any long-suffering Liverpool fan has to fear a parked bus and a jammy set piece goal against the run of play.  I can't remember many times in 20+ years that United outplayed us, but they have a nasty habit of taking more points than they've deserved.  But it makes it all the sweeter when we smash them. 

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

If Lallana, Coutinho and Firmino all start then I'll predict Liverpool to win, even though I hate to tempt fate. 

Sadly looks like Lallana won't be starting due to injury.  Could see a Firmino-Sturridge-Mane front with Coutinho-Hendo-Emre behind them(If Wijnaldum is out as well). 

Based on current form (as well as playing at home), Liverpool must be favourites here. Our first game after the last international break, we did not turn up in the 1st half. Do that again and this game will be put to bed inside 25 minutes. We do have an advantage in terms of physicality and we need to make use of that - quality delivery from set plays and crosses will be crucial for us. I think that if we try to play Liverpool on the ground, we will be easily beaten. My heart tells me United to win by the odd goal; my head tells me Liverpool win 3-0/3-1.

Mkhitaryan should not be starting this game though. Maybe 10-15 minutes off the bench. He might be fit but I seriously doubt that he is match fit. When was the last time he got 90 minutes under his belt? I hope these niggling injuries don't plague Mkhitaryan's season. Once he has regained match fitness, he should be our first choice either down the right or at #10.

Strange how their set piece defending has completely collapsed this season. A decline from Leicester is unsurprising, but I'd have thought that was one area in which they were genuinely exceptional. Not quite as embarrassing as some of the corners Man United scored from, but to give Costa so much space is negligent.

Very good performance by Chelsea. Leicester have taken some beatings away from home this season. Their defensive organisation has gone down the drain and opponents have wizened up to their counter-attacking play. A rudimentary ball over the top for Vardy to run onto no longer cuts it. Leicester need a plan B (and to get the defence sorted out).

That Moses goal was pretty (and what a pass by Chaloba).

I'm very happy Moses has finally gotten his chance at Chelsea after so many loans. Amazing in this era and at his age that he never agitated for a move away and never seemed to lose faith. You can see how much it means to him.  I hope he stays in the team. 

Archived