Football - clouds on the optimism horizon

Rorshach

Pretty gutting way for Burnley to lose. The goal should have been ruled out for handball -- being unintentional is irrelevant as the ball would not have ended up in the back of the net had it not struck Koscielny's hand. On the offside part: on first viewing it looks like Ox strikes the ball against Kos but after watching several replays, it is actually Kos who strikes the ball onto his own hand, so not offside.

Us dropping two points today has been made worse by other results (Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal). To make matters worse, we come up against the most impressive side in the league next. Can't see us beating Liverpool at Anfield. A draw would be a great result.

Celta/Barca is a crazy game. 4-3 now.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Can't see us beating Liverpool at Anfield. A draw would be a great result.

I'd like to agree and be confident but international breaks are such a wild card, especially with Coutinho and Firmino called up for long travel.  Plus United have got better results against us in recent years than their performances merited, so I can't get too confident.  I'm a bit concerned that Karius didn't look rock solid yesterday.  Beating Utd would be great though.   Here's hoping. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Can't see us beating Liverpool at Anfield.

I actually think we could. If we're at all hesitant we'll get swamped but the thing about their style is it leaves them open to quick counters themselves and we've certainly got the players to enact quick counters. Klopp's teams like to sow chaos and pounce on it but Pogba in particular is a player who could benefit from that chaos very much himself. And Herrera usually is a man not much bothered by hecticity around him, so if he starts he could be big too.

I'm very glad the game's on the Monday, I'm at a wedding that weekend an would otherwise miss it.

I don't like that Zlatan always comes so deep to get the ball.  I'd rather have Mata or Pogba on the ball in that space, if I were Mourinho, and Zlatan up the pitch where he belongs.  It's predictable, and is therefore a weakness.  Even if he's an extraordinary talent in most respects. 

Man, that was some pure luck on the goal for Arsenal yesterday. I'll take it but if it was ruled handball, I'd have no argument. Will say, it was from such a close position and accidental that I'm not at all surprised the handball wasn't called. We see that type of handball ignored 2-3 times a game.

To the question above, Giroud is injured. Has some toe injury I think. I think Wenger is going to stick with Sanchez up front when he gets back though because he enjoys the pace, press and quick passing that a front 4 of Sanchez, Walcott, Ozil and Iwobi affords. Giroud just slows down the attack too much though I would think that in a game against Burnley, you'd want Giroud in there down the stretch to add some strength to the front line.

I hope Perez's injury is minor. I really want to see more of him. 

Well, Lingard had a pretty good 2015/2016 season and was looking good until picking up an injury in the Community Shield. I don't think he would have been selected had Lallana been fit and I don't see him starting either of the qualifiers -- him getting actual game time is pretty slim, I think. He is a good backup option and his selection makes more sense than that of Glen Johnson. The bigger question is what the hell has Rooney done to earn a call up? And his chances of actually starting/getting game time are far higher than Lingard's -- a virtual certainty in fact.

A small relief that Liverpool only have Henderson and Sturridge on England duty.  Although Henderson is in very good form and would be a big loss if he gets an injury, and Sturridge is always an elevated risk of injury.  Plus both look likely to start at least one game.  Milner, Clyne and Lallana would usually be there too but retirement and injuries spare them this time.

Wijnaldum, Firmino, Coutinho, Mane, Origi, Mignolet, Grujic and Klavan are called up too. 

23 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Was going to post about Barca being 3 down before half time, but I've just seen Glen Johnson is in the England squad. Oh dear.

Johnson is still on deal. He will be good second RB for England after Walker.

19 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I think Blind's corners to Ibra are our real risk.  I think we can handle Utd in open play so long as we don't have the comedy stylings of Martin Skrtel to contend with.  

Blind is playing good as LF, so i think Luke Shaw actually lost his place in starting 11.. 

15 hours ago, Nas! said:

I don't like that Zlatan always comes so deep to get the ball.  I'd rather have Mata or Pogba on the ball in that space, if I were Mourinho, and Zlatan up the pitch where he belongs.  It's predictable, and is therefore a weakness.  Even if he's an extraordinary talent in most respects. 

I think it's the place where Mkhitaryan must find himself.. deep and to start attacks, like he was doing in game against Hull City. There were his best 30 minutes in United. 

3 minutes ago, StefCurry said:

Johnson is still on deal. He will be good second RB for England after Walker.

He was average at his peak (which never came in an England shirt) - but is now 32, playing for a team 19th in the table and just returned from a lengthy injury lay-off. Even if he happened to still be England's third best right-back, he certainly wouldn't be by the time the World Cup in Russia comes around. Given that the opposition is only Malta and Slovenia in the unlikely circumstance that Walker does not play the full 180 minutes, the main focus should be on preparing for the future.

Joel Ward and even Kyle Naughton, Adam Smith and Matt Lowton are better players now, will be in two years and would benefit a lot more from the experience than Johnson.

7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Harsh on Guidolin. Thought Swans played good against us and City and were unlucky to get nothing from those games. 

Agreed. Also I'm not sure what the point of sacking him to bring in Bob Bradley from managing in mid table obscurity in Ligue 2 is. Is he friends with the new American investors or something?

Americans coming in with insufficient knowledge of the game and making bad calls? Why, I never...

Ridiculous. Anyone with eyes could see they were playing really well against us and City, and they drew Chelsea. Yeah, they lost some "easier" games, but this smacks of murcans wanting to hire murcans. Hopefully Guidolin can pick up a decent job somewhere.

As for the Arsenal goal, can you imagine if that had been a defender and the handball had prevented a goal, and no penalty had been given? The outrage would be a spectacle. I was happy for Wenger, but that was very lucky.

14 minutes ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

As for the Arsenal goal, can you imagine if that had been a defender and the handball had prevented a goal, and no penalty had been given?

Like I said, we've seen them go both ways. There would have been outrage if that had happened the same way there's outrage now, but it's one of those situations where the rules just aren't entirely clear.

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Like I said, we've seen them go both ways. There would have been outrage if that had happened the same way there's outrage now, but it's one of those situations where the rules just aren't entirely clear.

Or consistently enforced.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

He was average at his peak (which never came in an England shirt) - but is now 32, playing for a team 19th in the table and just returned from a lengthy injury lay-off. Even if he happened to still be England's third best right-back, he certainly wouldn't be by the time the World Cup in Russia comes around. Given that the opposition is only Malta and Slovenia in the unlikely circumstance that Walker does not play the full 180 minutes, the main focus should be on preparing for the future.

Joel Ward and even Kyle Naughton, Adam Smith and Matt Lowton are better players now, will be in two years and would benefit a lot more from the experience than Johnson.

You are right, mate. I think Southgate just wants to have more experienced players for his first matches.

Archived