Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

Show Jaime bothers me... After all that she's done he still stays by his side like nothing ever happened. Committing a massacre that lead to the suicide of their last child before taking the throne to herself is mad woman behaviour. I understand that the show can't undermine Cersei's rule too much since she's the only one opposing Dany (whereas the books have characters like Aegon). But Jaime is just weird. Perhaps they want to "shock" the viewers once he finally kills her.

The problem is they cannot actually put some other main characters near her than Jaime. 

Everyone else wants to see her destroyed. 

That's no excuse to use Jaime like that. They could have made her story work with other characters.

He wants her destroyed in the books. He was casually chatting with Ser Ilyn about ways to off her.

Then he refused to respond when she begged him to save her. Had her letter tossed in the fire.

That was in book/season 4 timeline. They just wasted him as a character. They did the same thing to Sansa.

Can anyone find an old interview Benioff and Weiss gave around Season 1, talking about the dynamic between Cersei and Joffrey, in which they admit that Cersei is actually a terrible mother?  That she thinks "I love my children, it's my redeeming quality"....when she really dotes on Joffrey to the point of indulging his insane behavior, no matter how ridiculous. 

I read it once but can't find it now.

On Invalid Date at 0:33 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

Have you seen the "Why Dorne Failed" video explaining why they changed Ellaria?

It's sort of my version of La muette de Portici.  Well, "Part 1", it's  a series; the second is on Talisa, and so on.

I watched those. They're great! Incredible really that D&D's aim was to "show off" Varma and they ended up turning her into a completely different character that I simply couldn't stand it sounds like most of the rest of the viewers couldn't either. My least favourite part of the entire series (so far) was when Ellaria and her Sand Snakes "avenged the murder of Oberyn and Elia" by murdering their brother and nephew, also committing a double act of kinslaying in the process. Seems like even then D&D loved Varma so much that they were prepared to go completely against (1) logic, (2) (what happens in the books and (3) what the audience wanted to see. These videos also provide firm evidence of the writers' incompetence, which I had rather suspected from watching seasons 5 and 6.

On Invalid Date at 6:57 PM, MakeThemBurn said:

Show Jaime bothers me... After all that she's done he still stays by his side like nothing ever happened. Committing a massacre that lead to the suicide of their last child before taking the throne to herself is mad woman behaviour. I understand that the show can't undermine Cersei's rule too much since she's the only one opposing Dany (whereas the books have characters like Aegon). But Jaime is just weird. Perhaps they want to "shock" the viewers once he finally kills her.

touche.

Well from what i read from the leaks of season 7, i  have a big problem with cersei. Why is she still alive after the first few episodes?. Not only is she still alive, after getting defeated she's gonna be left in king's landing while the others march north. She should be killed before the war against the others begins. Daenery, as soon as her army defeats the bastards lannister's, she should fly with her dragons to the red keep and have one snatch cersei and eat her then we can focus on the others.

I get the weird feeling that the show runners think that we like cersei's villainy so therefore they will keep her alive for as long as possible. I dont want to see that hag more than 2 episodes.

19 hours ago, tormond said:

I get the weird feeling that the show runners think that we like cersei's villainy so therefore they will keep her alive for as long as possible. I dont want to see that hag more than 2 episodes.

Agree on all fronts. Before information about season 7 came out, everyone predicted that Cersei was the character most likely to die very quickly. Unfortunately she is being protected by the showrunners.

22 hours ago, tormond said:

Well from what i read from the leaks of season 7, i  have a big problem with cersei. Why is she still alive after the first few episodes?. Not only is she still alive, after getting defeated she's gonna be left in king's landing while the others march north. She should be killed before the war against the others begins. Daenery, as soon as her army defeats the bastards lannister's, she should fly with her dragons to the red keep and have one snatch cersei and eat her then we can focus on the others.

Not only is she alive, she is the shinning star of season 7.

Everyone wants to negotiate with her, Queens who have always wanted to conquer Westeros stop doing it for her, (they pardon her crimes apparently as well)  Kings decide to go to suicidal missions for her, they capture wights as a present for her and she gets pregnant, and Jaime is still with her.

2 hours ago, CaptainTheo said:

Agree on all fronts. Before information about season 7 came out, everyone predicted that Cersei was the character most likely to die very quickly. Unfortunately she is being protected by the showrunners.

she will shine until mid season 8. Then it will be Tyrion's time.

9 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Not only is she alive, she is the shinning star of season 7.

Everyone wants to negotiate with her, Queens who have always wanted to conquer Westeros stop doing it for her, (they pardon her crimes apparently as well)  Kings decide to go to suicidal missions for her, they capture wights as a present for her and she gets pregnant, and Jaime is still with her.

That whole thing is just nuts. Back in season 2, Tyrion and Varys had that conversation about where power comes from - wealth, religion or the threat of violence - and decided that power resides where people thinks it resides. The whole point of that (or so I thought) was that legitimacy makes the difference between a ruler and a rebel. I just don't see how Cersei can possess any legitimacy at all. All that matters now is the violence - Cersei blew some people up, which means shes in charge, because violence is the only true source of authority.

Never mind that she has no money to pay her men. Never mind that she killed her own uncle. Never mind that she blew up hundreds of innocents. Never mind that she murdered a popular religious figure. Never mind that she killed a more popular family. She's the one who has used the most violence, so in the crude and simply world that GOT has become, she's in charge.

To make things worse, it's not as if Wildfyre is a particularly useful weapon. You can defend a castle with it, fight some sea battles with it, and blow up some people if you know where they are going to be, but it's completely useless for projecting power. It's hardly a dragon.  

This is one of my biggest beefs with D&D...they write for the actors they like. They arent really telling the story.

if they like an actor they will write to expand their role. If they arent particularly in awe of an actor, their writing twnds to greatly do that actor and character a disservice and also downplay importance.

If the show was true to the story, Cersei would get far less screentime, Jaime would get less, Arya would get more, Bran would get waay more, etc. 

D&D never seemed comfortable in writing for or giving prime amounts of screentime to children.

35 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

This is one of my biggest beefs with D&D...they write for the actors they like. They arent really telling the story.

if they like an actor they will write to expand their role. If they arent particularly in awe of an actor, their writing twnds to greatly do that actor and character a disservice and also downplay importance.

If the show was true to the story, Cersei would get far less screentime, Jaime would get less, Arya would get more, Bran would get waay more, etc. 

D&D never seemed comfortable in writing for or giving prime amounts of screentime to children.

I agree in General, but the writing isn't even good for the characters whose actors they like.

Sansa had the second highest amount of screentime in Season 6, but her character was completely inconsistent. Her role was bigger than in the books, but look at what they've done to the character.. It's similar with Ellaria who also got more screentime, because D&D like Indira Varma, but that didn't imrpove the character. Actually it did the opposite.

Jon had the highest amount and they still barely addressed his death and ressurection.

Jaime's character has been terribly adapted. IMO the only characters who got a worse adaptation were Sansa and Ellaria. Plus his character barely shows any development.

Though yeah I agree that D&D love certain actors *cough* Lena Headey *cough* and expand their roles which greatly disadvantages other characters like Arya or Bran.

On Invalid Date at 3:58 PM, Gaz0680 said:

I agree. It's biased and they don't care at all about the audience wants to see - they'll even bias events in favour of an actor or actress they like, even if the audience doesn't (Ellaria) or take characters that have plenty of support from the audience and completely screw them over because they don't like them (Stannis, Barristan, Mance, Doran). My biggest gripe was with Barristan because he was killed off just when his role was about to get important just so they could give us even more St Tyrion. Which brings me to...

On Invalid Date at 4:43 PM, Queen of Procrastination said:

I agree in General, but the writing isn't even good for the characters whose actors they like.

Tyrion is a perfect example of this. He was by far my favourite character in the first 3-4 seasons but once his story diverged from the books and the writers had to write him themselves, I found him extremely boring. Aside from his dialogue, they made everything work out very well for him, which is for the most part the opposite of what happens to him in the books.

On 2017-6-1 at 11:28 PM, CaptainTheo said:

Tyrion is a perfect example of this. He was by far my favourite character in the first 3-4 seasons but once his story diverged from the books and the writers had to write him themselves, I found him extremely boring. Aside from his dialogue, they made everything work out very well for him, which is for the most part the opposite of what happens to him in the books.

Yep. Show-Tyrion has become a kind of caricature of himself, which often happens in shows when the writers run out of ideas for a character's continuing development. I mean, a lot of people didn't like GRRM's ADWD storyline for Tyrion but at least he treated him like a real person, with real issues to overcome and a discernible thematic character arc happening.

Archived