College Football 2016 - Cracks in the Golden Dome

Rhom

10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Based on nothing but my own thoughts, I think he is just interviewing to interview. I think he is trying to wait out Saban and take over Alabama. Nick is 65 years old and may decide to hang it up sooner than later.

Again, just a thought I had so don't bombard me with how dumb I am and that Nick will coach forever or Assistant Z is better...

Its as good an excuse as any.  I don't think Saban would look favorably on his offensive coordinator just interviewing for shits and giggles while he's trying to win a title in a month though.  :dunno: 

16 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Its as good an excuse as any.  I don't think Saban would look favorably on his offensive coordinator just interviewing for shits and giggles while he's trying to win a title in a month though.  :dunno: 

What? Jolly ol St. Nick has great sense of humor!

I think following Nick Saban at Alabama is going to be a difficult and thankless task and Kiffin has proven nothing as a head coach.  

Even with all those resources at your disposal you still have to have the right stuff to run a championship caliber program and Nick Saban is going to go down as one of the best of all time.  Alabama is always going to be Alabama, but I have a hard time believing that the program doesn't suffer just a little bit from Saban's absence when he finally steps aside.  There are enough other blue blood programs out there with established coaches that'll be ready to fill the vacuum.  

1 minute ago, S John said:

I think following Nick Saban at Alabama is going to be a difficult and thankless task and Kiffin has proven nothing as a head coach.  

Even with all those resources at your disposal you still have to have the right stuff to run a championship caliber program and Nick Saban is going to go down as one of the best of all time.  Alabama is always going to be Alabama, but I have a hard time believing that the program doesn't suffer just a little bit from Saban's absence when he finally steps aside.  There are enough other blue blood programs out there with established coaches that'll be ready to fill the vacuum.  

Who's going to be 'Bama's Billy Gillespie when that happens? :D

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Ooooh... Potentially brilliant move by Taggart.  Oregon reportedly targeting Charlie Strong for defensive coordinator.

This could work out fantastically for him.  Charlie is a great defensive coach and a good recruiter.  I really like what Taggart could be putting together.

Interesting...  I'd been reading he was going to take over at USF

If you turn on ESPN, there is currently a playoff game on involving N. Dakota St. vs S. Dakota St, from an actual, functioning playoff system that includes more than 4 teams...I can't imagine how hard it was to actually come up with and implement this system <_<

34 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Man I turned on the Heisman show at 755 and turned it off again before they announced the winner. So fake and awkward. Jackson was the clear winner so no surprise there.

I didn't even turn it on. ESPN over produces so much on things anymore that they're honestly tough to watch.

I like Taggart's offense a lot, and he should be able to recruit to Oregon.  You are University of Nike in an era where these kids are more obsessed with brand and swag than ever. There are some players in Oregon every year, you can get kids from California, and maybe he can get the polynesian connection that Kelly had going again.  Then cherry pick some Texas and Florida kids and you are looking at top classes.

auburn picked up a potentially huge commitment from JC QB jarrett stidham.  he was a baylor qb who transferred amidst all of the sexual misconduct the year before last.  i want to say i remember watching him prior to the broken ankle and being impressed but i'm not sure.

what say you, people more in the know than me?  am i getting another JFIII hype machine or do you think he has a chance to do something special for us?

15 hours ago, sperry said:

I like Taggart's offense a lot, and he should be able to recruit to Oregon.  You are University of Nike in an era where these kids are more obsessed with brand and swag than ever. There are some players in Oregon every year, you can get kids from California, and maybe he can get the polynesian connection that Kelly had going again.  Then cherry pick some Texas and Florida kids and you are looking at top classes.

I do wonder though to what extent Oregon's swag still stands out.  They once had facilities that were heads and shoulders above their competition, but most programs have made significant upgrades to level the playing field.  Not questioning that Oregon has swag; just how much of a swag margin they have anymore.  

That said, if i was an Oregon fan I'd feel pretty good about the Taggert hire.  He was definitely one of the sexiest up-and-coming coaches, and he if can bring some Florida talent to combine with the California talent that Oregon already gets...

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

So the Rams signed Jeff Fisher to a 2 year contract extension and then will be firing him at the end of the same season? Although, I guess if you signed Jeff Fisher to a contract extension in the first place your decision making isn't the best.

10 hours ago, D_P said:

auburn picked up a potentially huge commitment from JC QB jarrett stidham.  he was a baylor qb who transferred amidst all of the sexual misconduct the year before last.  i want to say i remember watching him prior to the broken ankle and being impressed but i'm not sure.

what say you, people more in the know than me?  am i getting another JFIII hype machine or do you think he has a chance to do something special for us?

Stidham is good, although I'm not sure he's the best fit for Malzahn's system since he's not much of a runner.

Looks like Kiffin is taking a HC job at Florida Atlantic. Sounds like its a big pay cut as well. If this is true then I kind of respect it. I mean, if he is willing to take major pay cut to bet on himself then I can respect it.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Looks like Kiffin is taking a HC job at Florida Atlantic. Sounds like its a big pay cut as well. If this is true then I kind of respect it. I mean, if he is willing to take major pay cut to bet on himself then I can respect it.

Lmao, Florida Atlantic. Nobody but the dregs want the program destroyer 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Supposedly he was done at Bama regardless. At this point his choices were head coach at FAU or OC at LSU, and he preferred a stepping-stone head coaching job to a sidestep coordinator position. 

Just now, lokisnow said:

Lmao, Florida Atlantic. Nobody but the dregs want the program destroyer 

Yep, I knew when Houston passed him up (and dismissed him as even being a serious candidate) that his options would be limited.

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Supposedly he was done at Bama regardless. At this point his choices were head coach at FAU or OC at LSU, and he preferred a stepping-stone head coaching job to a sidestep coordinator position. 

Yep, I knew when Houston passed him up (and dismissed him as even being a serious candidate) that his options would be limited.

I think he had two things working against him.  (Other than his own history obviously...)  The fact that he wanted to coach Bama's playoff games means he wasn't going to be getting to work right away.  Schools want you the day you're hired.  Second, its pretty obvious that Houston did not want someone who would use them as a stepping stone again.  Going with Major Applewhite reduces that possibility quite a bit.

Archived