US Politics- Stay Gold, Pony Boy

Kelli Fury

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Yes, he did. The Slate article says:

If you follow the Jezebel link, Booker got more money than any of the others listed there.

His office's response (from the Jez link) - are the American safety standards really more stringent than Canada's? Is profit margin a safety standard to be considered?

UPDATE, 1:07 PM: Sen. Booker provided Jezebel with the following statement:

I support the importation of prescription drugs as a key part of a strategy to help control the skyrocketing cost of medications. Any plan to allow the importation of prescription medications should also include consumer protections that ensure foreign drugs meet American safety standards. I opposed an amendment put forward last night that didn’t meet this test. The rising cost of medications is a life-and-death issue for millions of Americans, which is why I also voted for amendments last night that bring drug prices down and protect Medicare’s prescription drug benefit. I‎’m committed to finding solutions that allow for prescription drug importation with adequate safety standards.

Some interesting discussion about the protections companies like Buzzfeed have when it comes to publishing reports they know are likely false.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/01/13/when-there-is-serious-reason-to-doubt-rumors-and-allegations-is-it-libelous-to-publish-them/?utm_term=.44fc26558a90&wpisrc=nl_volokh&wpmm=1#comments

TL:DR: My interpretation is that they have pretty sound protections, but it's complex.  Which seems right to me, though I'm no lawyer.

Just now, Week said:

His office's response (from the Jez link) - are the American safety standards really more stringent than Canada's? Is profit margin a safety standard to be considered?

UPDATE, 1:07 PM: Sen. Booker provided Jezebel with the following statement:

I support the importation of prescription drugs as a key part of a strategy to help control the skyrocketing cost of medications. Any plan to allow the importation of prescription medications should also include consumer protections that ensure foreign drugs meet American safety standards. I opposed an amendment put forward last night that didn’t meet this test. The rising cost of medications is a life-and-death issue for millions of Americans, which is why I also voted for amendments last night that bring drug prices down and protect Medicare’s prescription drug benefit. I‎’m committed to finding solutions that allow for prescription drug importation with adequate safety standards.

Where i come from we refer to this kind of double speak as 'plausible deniability'.

It's all cool. Senator Booker is obviously just concerned about the safety of American citzens, and he does not want unapproved drugs from a third world country like Canada endanger the health and well being of American patients.

You know American standards means American prices.

16 minutes ago, Notone said:

It's all cool. Senator Booker is obviously just concerned about the safety of American citzens, and he does not want unapproved drugs from a third world country like Canada endanger the health and well being of American patients.

Lol.

30 minutes ago, Notone said:

/Don't make us build a wall and make you pay for it...

Just now, Notone said:

I'm personally of the opinion that they need to go even further and ban Canadian Bacon and Molson too. You gotta watch Canada like a hawk.

Remember, they slipped Justin Bieber in on us, when we weren't lookin.

Can anyone here (I'm thinking policy buffs like Fez or Kalbear) explain to me what's happened in the last few days with the ACA specifically WRT preexisting conditions? I've been seeing a lot of hoopla about this on facebook and around the net, but some cursory googling has been fairly ambiguous and not totally clear about what's actually happened and how it affects people with preexisting conditions. 

I'm a 26-year-old type 1 diabetic who just moved onto an exchange plan this year, so this is all very relevant to me and any help navigating this crap from anyone here would be hugely appreciated.

On 1/12/2017 at 7:13 AM, Mudguard said:

Even asking the original source for confirmation seems dangerous, not to mention the first time.  If any of this was true, Putin would be tracking down leaks as we speak.  I find it hard to believe that an ex- agent, unless they were a complete shit, would jeopardize the lives of so many people just for an opposition research paper.  He would have burned all his sources.  He was shopping his report all over the place.  None of this adds up.

Large parts of his report have already been debunked, so I'm convinced the report is a fake.

Why do you keep saying that he was shopping the report. From what I understand he was paid to find out what he could about Trump. He then felt that the stories with regards to the Russians were credible and reached out to his Russian contacts. From what I've read there was no selling to the highest bidder.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/11/trump-russia-report-opposition-research-john-mccain

As far as the CIA goes, we don't know everything that they know. I'm sure they reached out to their own sources to gauge how credible the stories were. I'm speculating here, but it seems like the logical process.

Interesting that Canadian drug prices are topical in Canada today too:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/health-minister-jane-philpott-drug-prices-1.3932254

Now guys, please explain to my why Trump fired the Commanding General of the DC National Guard effective 15 seconds after he's sworn in? Like, what does this mean exactly? Particularly when there's like this wee little protest walking thing the next day...Is this spite? He was W's hire, not Obama's...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/13/509704620/d-c-national-guard-commander-told-to-step-down-on-inauguration-day?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/commanding-general-of-dc-national-guard-to-be-removed-from-post/2017/01/13/725a0438-d99e-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html?utm_term=.173ebb206cc1

9 hours ago, SkynJay said:

Even those of us who have employer coverage can be affected.  ACA also took away lifetime limits and set a basic standard a plan has to follow.  My old company had us on a high deductible plan when my son was born; my share of the bill was almost a third of my annual income at the time.  Such a plan didn't meet the Bronze thresholds in the ACA.

Thanks for your feedback, I was trying to talk about employer coverage but didn't come across to clear I guess.  The bolded is two important things the ACA has done for workers, as high deductible is sometimes all an employee could afford, even people with living wages.  An important part of the pre-existing condition issue is children born with a congenital defect or illness as I have seen kids who in the past wouldn't be covered and without a change this could have been for life ffs.  So the ACA helped to bring better, more fair insurance to workers, which was a good thing.

9 hours ago, Fez said:

Like all the Cabinet Secretaries, I suspect Mattis is going to mostly have free reign to run his department as he sees fit because Trump is not interested in details and doesn't have enough focus to learn if his wishes are actually being followed. And so long as Mattis has good relations with at least one of the power centers in the White House (Preibus, Bannon, Kushner, or Pence), he'll be fine. 

We'll see, but I wonder about this as it seems he does value loyalty, his definition of loyalty that is on a moving target apparently, but anyway, if he deems their ideas aren't 'loyal' to him we may have some fireworks.

17 minutes ago, kairparabola said:

Now guys, please explain to my why Trump fired the Commanding General of the DC National Guard effective 15 seconds after he's sworn in? Like, what does this mean exactly? Particularly when there's like this wee little protest walking thing the next day...Is this spite? He was W's hire, not Obama's...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/13/509704620/d-c-national-guard-commander-told-to-step-down-on-inauguration-day?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/commanding-general-of-dc-national-guard-to-be-removed-from-post/2017/01/13/725a0438-d99e-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html?utm_term=.173ebb206cc1

It doesn't seem like he's singled this guy out. The article I read noted that he's replacing all politically appointed diplomats at 12:01pm on his inauguration day. What's kind of short-sighted here is that the National Guard is providing security at the event.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It doesn't seem like he's singled this guy out. The article I read noted that he's replacing all politically appointed diplomats at 12:01pm on his inauguration day. What's kind of short-sighted here is that the National Guard is providing security at the event.

True. The rumours swirling also suggest the new guy's going to bootstomp the march on Saturday. So in case I'm hauled off to a gulag, I just wanted to say it's been fantastic bantering with you in the baseball threads.

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

I'm personally of the opinion that they need to go even further and ban Canadian Bacon and Molson too. You gotta watch Canada like a hawk.

Remember, they slipped Justin Bieber in on us, when we weren't lookin.

And just now have stolen our American Hoodies!  My pearls are clutched to the near breaking point! 

Just now, kairparabola said:

True. The rumours swirling also suggest the new guy's going to bootstomp the march on Saturday. So in case I'm hauled off to a gulag, I just wanted to say it's been fantastic bantering with you in the baseball threads.

Watch yourself out there. I have a couple of friends who are flying out for the march. I hope there are no major incidents.

36 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Thanks for your feedback, I was trying to talk about employer coverage but didn't come across to clear I guess.  The bolded is two important things the ACA has done for workers, as high deductible is sometimes all an employee could afford, even people with living wages.  An important part of the pre-existing condition issue is children born with a congenital defect or illness as I have seen kids who in the past wouldn't be covered and without a change this could have been for life ffs.  So the ACA helped to bring better, more fair insurance to workers, which was a good thing.

It's always been my understanding that pre existing conditions were more of an issue on the individual market, and that for group insurance, it was mostly handled via relatively short waiting periods.  

is that not accurate?

A subject discussed here occasionally is how jobs are lost that are lost to changes in their industry.  Here is a short article about changes in retail and the stores planning closings of some stores and shedding of jobs in 2017.  The stores listed in the article are:  Macy's, Sears and KMart, JCPenny, CVS and The Limited.  Not listed is Hancock's Fabrics which closed a bunch this fall and it was awful!  :frown5:   It's been reported that even Walmart is closing some stores.

Online sellers are putting a lot of pressure on brick and mortar stores and some of these stores will be moving to having a larger online presence.  Expanding online could move some jobs to the customer service and warehouse, but I would think that more jobs would be lost than gained. 

With so many stores closing I wonder how this will affect the malls as well.  Will just to have to wait and see I guess.

Archived