TTTNE 469- A New Order of Imperial entanglement

Jen'ari

On Wednesday, April 05, 2017 at 0:34 AM, First of My Name said:

I feel the same sometimes (our teachers tell us we're a dying trade about every other lesson). But I'm not in need of a job in my field right now, so I can't really complain.

Yep, that is what we were told by our professors regularly too: Oh, you will all be unemployed anyway ... or ... When you are teaching ... well guess what, some of us are not going to be teaching ...

16 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

@Buckwheat come on, you are smart and motivated, how hard can it be to get a job. Don't think about your education, think about your skills, that's what employers want, that's what you can sell. You speak two languages on advanced level, you are precise, hardworking, you have computer skills, you are good at analytic tasks, just find your strengths and sell them (in the most agile and assertive manner as possible) 

Oh, you mean those skills I don't have? I am humble, silent, and overly self-critical. And most of all, not assertive. That is what and who I am.

I admit the hardest thing might actually be to write a few stupid letters and send them out. To get over my fear of being ridiculed and failing, because this is really my biggest problem. I fear that they will send me a negative answer because I did something stupid and will laugh at me somewhere and this will feel like a horrible personal failure. I am not good at dealing with failures and mistakes. So I rather avoid doing it in the first place. Yes, this is a horrible strategy for life, I am aware of this.

Once I know what exactly I have to do, all is fine. But the not knowing if I am doing something right or wrong and there being no way to tell beforehand hurts my perfectionistic self.

/oversharing

Soooo, Harry Potter world? When are we going? :P

58 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yep, that is what we were told by our professors regularly too: Oh, you will all be unemployed anyway ... or ... When you are teaching ... well guess what, some of us are not going to be teaching ...

Oh, you mean those skills I don't have? I am humble, silent, and overly self-critical. And most of all, not assertive. That is what and who I am.

I admit the hardest thing might actually be to write a few stupid letters and send them out. To get over my fear of being ridiculed and failing, because this is really my biggest problem. I fear that they will send me a negative answer because I did something stupid and will laugh at me somewhere and this will feel like a horrible personal failure. I am not good at dealing with failures and mistakes. So I rather avoid doing it in the first place. Yes, this is a horrible strategy for life, I am aware of this.

Once I know what exactly I have to do, all is fine. But the not knowing if I am doing something right or wrong and there being no way to tell beforehand hurts my perfectionistic self.

/oversharing

You do have those skills. I mean are you trying to tell me you don't speak two languages on an advanced level or that you aren't precise and hardworking or that you can't use basic MS office programs...? 

And what if they send you a negative answer? A lightning won't struck you immediately. Or later. It's not a failure, it's just part of life. Everybody gets rejections for their job applications. That's perfectly natural. Just don't think too much about it, send your application to a bunch of places and see if anybody answers. There's no right or wrong way to do it. You are absolutely employable, trust me. 

I don't know, how about tomorrow? 

11 hours ago, First of My Name said:

When will you be going? I'm sure we can delegate some duties to the council of moffs. And if not there's always Wi-Fi to check in on our subjects.

Next Wednesday for 2 weeks:D.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

/oversharing

The best thing is to work on gaining those skills, try and be more assertive and selfish in a work environment, hold eye contact with people and be firm but polite in the way you talk, lastly don't sell yourself short, you can speak 2 languages fluently,you're clearly not stupid!.

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I know the feeling very well, and trust me, the sooner you get over it, the happier you'll be.

6 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Sweet :) I've already forgotten where you're going but I'm sure it'll be swell :P 

8 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

You do have those skills. I mean are you trying to tell me you don't speak two languages on an advanced level or that you aren't precise and hardworking or that you can't use basic MS office programs...? 

And what if they send you a negative answer? A lightning won't struck you immediately. Or later. It's not a failure, it's just part of life. Everybody gets rejections for their job applications. That's perfectly natural. Just don't think too much about it, send your application to a bunch of places and see if anybody answers. There's no right or wrong way to do it. You are absolutely employable, trust me.

Mother language and two others, so three I guess? Which is really ... not exceptional, I am just slightly better at putting commas at the right places than most people.

And yes, I am relatively precise and maybe also hardworking, although I consider myself lazy. An of course I can use Word and Outlook and PowerPoint, but that is a basic thing, everybody knows that, no?

I know, I am working on it now ... I think I edited my CV into an acceptable form, just not sure if it is not too long ... am I using too big of a font?

8 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

The best thing is to work on gaining those skills, try and be more assertive and selfish in a work environment, hold eye contact with people and be firm but polite in the way you talk, lastly don't sell yourself short, you can speak 2 languages fluently,you're clearly not stupid!.

But ... I like my personality. I do not want to be assertive and selfish.

Job search is bullshit. It just tries to make people present themselves as different than they are, and then they tell you to be honest. Yeah, sorry, you will have to be a bit more decisive and precise about that. It is one or the other, either you are honest OR you present yourself as team-working, career-oriented, problem-solving-minded, practical, highly experienced ... whatever. Nobody is reaching your stupid standards, employers who demand all that in your ads!

*ahem* Excuse me. I might be a little annoyed right now.

9 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

^ Be Assertive 

Job search is bullshit. It just tries to make people present themselves as different than they are, and then they tell you to be honest. Yeah, sorry, you will have to be a bit more decisive and precise about that. It is one or the other, either you are honest OR you present yourself as team-working, career-oriented, problem-solving-minded, practical, highly experienced ... whatever. Nobody is reaching your stupid standards, employers who demand all that in your ads!

Job skills 101: Regardless of what movies/companies tell you. They don't want you to be yourself unless "you" are already the exact type of person they're looking for. You don't have to be any of those things, you just have to act like you are. Work Buck can act the part and do all that stupid stuff so that Buck Buck can be Buck outside of work.

Mother language and two others, so three I guess? Which is really ... not exceptional, I am just slightly better at putting commas at the right places than most people.

And yes, I am relatively precise and maybe also hardworking, although I consider myself lazy. An of course I can use Word and Outlook and PowerPoint, but that is a basic thing, everybody knows that, no?

I know, I am working on it now ... I think I edited my CV into an acceptable form, just not sure if it is not too long ... am I using too big of a font?

I meant the foreign languages. But yes, if you move to, say Hungary (god, no, don't do that), that would be three languages and you would get a job in a week. Here the average is speaking one (foreign) language on a good level. Speaking two is exceptional and very coveted. You are not lazy your thesis was twice the length it should have been. How is that lazy? 

As a fresh graduate, your CV should be one page in Word. Or one and a half if you use that Europass template thing. But at this point in one's career it's just your higher education, language and computer skills, internships you did during your studies and a sentence about your being a precise, hard working, reliable candidate. Regular font in size 12 and 14 for headings is perfect. 

Employers know they won't get the supermen and wonderwomen they are looking for in the ads, but ads can't say we just want someone we like and isn't completely stupid. Whenever we consult clients about their job descriptions it always comes down to half the requirements going out of the window. Just apply and apply and apply and it's going to be fine. 

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

I know the feeling very well, and trust me, the sooner you get over it, the happier you'll be.

Sweet :) I've already forgotten where you're going but I'm sure it'll be swell :P 

Coachella music festival and then possibly Nashville to go vintage guitar shopping.

I'm not saying change your personality fully, you just need to at work, is there really any point in being unhappy in life to just not break a self imposed set of morals.

31 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

I meant the foreign languages. But yes, if you move to, say Hungary (god, no, don't do that), that would be three languages and you would get a job in a week. Here the average is speaking one (foreign) language on a good level. Speaking two is exceptional and very coveted. You are not lazy your thesis was twice the length it should have been. How is that lazy? 

As a fresh graduate, your CV should be one page in Word. Or one and a half if you use that Europass template thing. But at this point in one's career it's just your higher education, language and computer skills, internships you did during your studies and a sentence about your being a precise, hard working, reliable candidate. Regular font in size 12 and 14 for headings is perfect. 

Employers know they won't get the supermen and wonderwomen they are looking for in the ads, but ads can't say we just want someone we like and isn't completely stupid. Whenever we consult clients about their job descriptions it always comes down to half the requirements going out of the window. Just apply and apply and apply and it's going to be fine. 

No intentions to move to Hungary, no worries. :P

And my thesis had an awesome topic, is all. :D

Oh. But just higher education and the additional courses, that is, education, take one page. And I am not using Europass. Maybe I took too many courses?

27 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

No intentions to move to Hungary, no worries. :P

And my thesis had an awesome topic, is all. :D

Oh. But just higher education and the additional courses, that is, education, take one page. And I am not using Europass. Maybe I took too many courses?

Good. Good. For you, I mean. 

What? :eek: you have two degrees, don't you? A Bsc and an Msc. Thats two lines. Education cannot take up a whole page. Who's going to read that? What additional courses do you mean? Wait. How long is the whole CV? :uhoh: 

10 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Good. Good. For you, I mean. 

What? :eek: you have two degrees, don't you? A Bsc and an Msc. Thats two lines. Education cannot take up a whole page. Who's going to read that? What additional courses do you mean? Wait. How long is the whole CV? :uhoh: 

Stuff like summer courses, workshops etc. There are a few of those. Shows that you did not only do what is strictly neccessary during studying, but went the extra length to broaden your education.

The whole thing makes two pages then.

Stuff like summer courses, workshops etc. There are a few of those. Shows that you did not only do what is strictly neccessary during studying, but went the extra length to broaden your education.

I suppose it does, but I would still advise you to shorten that. I mean it's very nice that you did workshops and summer courses, but I'm not sure it should be in your CV unless the topic of those courses is relevant to the job you are applying for. But it's your decision of course. 

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Most jobs I've applied for don't ask for a CV anymore (though the application form covers everything you would include in a CV). But I seem to recall something along the lines of 3 pages being the max you should have for a CV. So you should be fine.

You actually seem to have a pretty strong CV, from what I can tell. It's just a case of knowing how to sell yourself (stop it Ab.) to potential employers. Well, and finding a job you actually want to apply for of course.

France was nice. Back to reality now -_-

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

You actually seem to have a pretty strong CV, from what I can tell. It's just a case of knowing how to sell yourself (stop it Ab.) to potential employers. Well, and finding a job you actually want to apply for of course.

Dammit. Pre-empted. *Something about it being legal in the Netherlands.*

3 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

Dammit. Pre-empted. *Something about it being legal in the Netherlands.*

I know you too well.

it probably speaks volumes that my first thought as I was typing was "haha, lewdness"

Archived