NHL Playoffs: Stanley's Suitors

l2 0 5 5

12 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Some real blasphemy? Honestly, I have no clue who Tom Kuhnackl's dad is, other than hearing Pierre mention him once during a game. Sorry my German hockey history isn't up to snuff...

That why reverend McGuire is there, to teach gospel to the commons.

To be fair (and this time without the fake outrage), Erich (Tom's dad) had retired from professional hockey even before Tom was born, so it's probably indeed a bit of obscure hockey knowledge for a North American to know the name of a German hockey player from thirty years ago, who never played in the NHL. But for most German hockey fans, the first name that springs to mind when they hear Kühnhackl is probably still Erich, and not Tom.

For the sake of posting it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Kühnhackl

Leon Draisaitl's father (Peter) also played professional hockey; and Marc Messier actually asked Leon on draft day, whether they are related. So that name might have rung a bell from from occasionally watching the Winter Olympics.

9 hours ago, Notone said:

That why reverend McGuire is there, to teach gospel to the commons.

To be fair (and this time without the fake outrage), Erich (Tom's dad) had retired from professional hockey even before Tom was born, so it's probably indeed a bit of obscure hockey knowledge for a North American to know the name of a German hockey player from thirty years ago, who never played in the NHL. But for most German hockey fans, the first name that springs to mind when they hear Kühnhackl is probably still Erich, and not Tom.

For the sake of posting it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Kühnhackl

Leon Draisaitl's father (Peter) also played professional hockey; and Marc Messier actually asked Leon on draft day, whether they are related. So that name might have rung a bell from from occasionally watching the Winter Olympics.

All good man. It's tougher to tell on here sometimes whether someone is joking or trying to find a perceived slight in a post where there is none intended and starting something over nothing. I tend to just assume it's the latter now.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Huge win for the Sens. I wasn't real hopeful for them after Malkin tied it. Bobby Ryan really had his legs going in the 3rd and OT .

Pens D is sloooow.  Schultz, Daley, and Letang are about the only people who can move quickly, and there's an unfortunate similarity between those last two and their availability right now.  Dumoulin and Cole aren't bad, but they're not what I'd call speedy either.  Hainsey is slow, and Maatta wasn't quick even before his injuries and cancer.  His positioning usually isn't bad, but when he gets beat, he gets beaten so badly its really obvious.  I can tell you nothing about Ruhwedel other than that he wasn't outstandingly bad or noticeably fast.   

A good win for the Sens.  It was refreshing to see the Pens at least get some zone time and quality chances, but that trap is pretty rough.  Its kind of hilarious to watch how important Karlsson is, though.  You can immediately see the game tilt in Pittsburgh's favor when he's off-ice.  

Yeah this Ott/Pit series might not end up being the most entertaining but it will be cool to watch how Pitt go about breaking down the Sens. 

Best way to beat the trap is to score first and score early. Knew it was gonna be rough for the Pens tonight when Ott killed all those first period penalties. 

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah this Ott/Pit series might not end up being the most entertaining but it will be cool to watch how Pitt go about breaking down the Sens. 

Best way to beat the trap is to score first and score early. Knew it was gonna be rough for the Pens tonight when Ott killed all those first period penalties. 

That 5 on 3 kill was huge.

15 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

That, or have good puck-moving defensemen, which they're lacking at the moment.  Still not insurmountable, and I think the Pens will win it, but it'll be a slog.  

2 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

That, or have good puck-moving defensemen  

Yess which is why if the Preds somehow do manage to get to the finals Ott doesn't really scare me much. Pens definitely do. 

Tough loss after being up 2-0. Ducks fought back hard. Must have been a pretty good one to watch for neutrals.

On 5/14/2017 at 5:05 PM, MerenthaClone said:

That, or have good puck-moving defensemen, which they're lacking at the moment.  Still not insurmountable, and I think the Pens will win it, but it'll be a slog.  

They must really be sour on Streit, since this series would seem to be right in his wheelhouse.

51 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Kessel is a nut. They're showing a bunch of clips of him talking to himself. :lol:

Haha yeah that was great. Glad he got the goal. Nice setup by Malkin.

That was a frustrating 53 minutes till we scored. Felt like Washington in game 7. So many opportunities but couldn't get anything past Anderson.

2 hours ago, Swordfish said:

They must really be sour on Streit, since this series would seem to be right in his wheelhouse.

Seems like.  I mean, I can see Sullivan not wanting to gamble since last game seemed like something the Pens would win eventually, so play the same and you'll eventually win the series, but still...ugh Hainsey.  Good game, a lot less trapping by the Sens and a lot more up/down.  Far, far more interesting than last game, even ignoring the score.

Also, I love Phil Kessel the weird hockey dad.  

15 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Seems like.  I mean, I can see Sullivan not wanting to gamble since last game seemed like something the Pens would win eventually, so play the same and you'll eventually win the series, but still...ugh Hainsey.  Good game, a lot less trapping by the Sens and a lot more up/down.  Far, far more interesting than last game, even ignoring the score.

Also, I love Phil Kessel the weird hockey dad.  

Local beat guys apparently have this to say about it(from another message board)

if Schultz is out, then i guess we'll see.  I'd still give Streit a shot over Maata or a hobbled Domoulin at this point.

I think we've sort of reverted from an officiating perspective to letting a lot of clutching and grabbing and dirty stick work go in this series (and to some extent the last).  It makes for some pretty boring hockey.

Local scribe Johnathan Bombulie put it like this:  They like Streit but they don't like him playing his off side.  He plays the same side as Schultz, Maatta & Dumoulin.  They like Ruhwedel better playing his natural side than Streit playing his off side.

17 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I must've missed something but no Doc Emrick the last two games. Is something wrong?

The only thing I've heard them mention is that he's sick.  hope he's ok.  i was surprised to find out he's almost 70.

next to Lange, i think he's the best guy out there right now.

17 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I must've missed something but no Doc Emrick the last two games. Is something wrong?

They mentioned he was sick.  Hope he's back soon, I miss his voice and the excitement he brings.  His replacement is a dud, IMO.

For Pittsburgh locals (or regionals who watch regular season on Root Sports), Steigerwald just got replaced for next season by Steve Mears from the NHL Network, whom I know nothing about.  I don't love Steigerwald but I've just grown used to him over the years.  Hopefully the new guy has a good voice, or at least better than Emrick's replacement.

Worried that Schultz may be out now too.  That looked pretty rough on his shoulder and eventually attrition is going to kill this playoff run.  Although hopefully Daley is able to return before long.

Archived