AncalagonTheBlack

Football: Showdown Sunday

404 posts in this topic

Yeah, I doubt Sanchez leaves in this window and while Arsenal have sold big players in the past to league rivals, I just don't see that happening with Sanchez. Arsenal have already made two good signings. Who knows, maybe Sanchez might be convinced to make a u-turn. If not, he still has the option of signing a pre-contract agreement with another club in January.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, I doubt Sanchez leaves in this window and while Arsenal have sold big players in the past to league rivals, I just don't see that happening with Sanchez. Arsenal have already made two good signings. Who knows, maybe Sanchez might be convinced to make a u-turn. If not, he still has the option of signing a pre-contract agreement with another club in January.

Yes, that's pretty likely.  A lot depends on whether Arsenal will forgo ~50mil to keep him for another year and keep him out of the hands of a rival, and hope for a change of heart when he's an unrestricted free agent (to use an Americanism).  That's a really expensive one-year loan deal if you view it from that perspective.  But pride and stubbornness may be just enough to make Arsenal pay ~50mil of opportunity cost to do this.

From Alexis point of view, leaving Barcelona for Arsenal was a big step down.  If he can jump to City, Juventus or Bayern then he takes a partial step back up, and PSG might even be a slight step up, but I don't see Real or Barca making him an offer, and Bayern looks like a long shot with their squad pretty full, so he doesn't really have a shot at the true elite.

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

From Alexis point of view, leaving Barcelona for Arsenal was a big step down.  If he can jump to City, Juventus or Bayern then he takes a partial step back up, and PSG might even be a slight step up, but I don't see Real or Barca making him an offer, and Bayern looks like a long shot with their squad pretty full, so he doesn't really have a shot at the true elite.

I was never convinced about the Bayern rumours. Bayern throwing 50 odd million at a 28 year old player with only one year remaining on his contract would have been a huge breakaway from their usual transfer strategy. Bayern aren't known for spending huge sums of money on transfers - amazingly, their recent acquisition of Tolisso is their record signing and that was a little under £36m.

Sanchez's best bet of a move away in this window does seem to be either Juve or PSG but I don't recall either of those clubs expressing an interest. Unless Arsenal buckles and sells to a league rival (that would not go down well with the fans), it would appear that Sanchez has no choice but to stay. I'm sure Bayern would be very receptive to a pre-contract in January and forgoing a transfer fee would also make Bayern open to meeting Sanchez's wage demands.

Edited by Consigliere

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Would Arsenal really risk letting him join City (or whoever) on a free next year rather than try and cash in if he wasnt willing to re sign?