Football: Showdown Sunday

AncalagonTheBlack

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Lukaku and Pogba in the space of a year.

Bow before Ed Woodward, Transfer guru and "gets the job done" go-to guy?

hard to be too impressed.  they have so much money.  next year they will add some other super priced superstar.

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Not his equal but better - Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Suarez.

Rooney will certainly be considered a United legend but lets not kid ourselves here. There are many players of his generation who surpassed him.

Also: Drogba (well, he's older, but reached his prime around at the same time as Rooney), Eto'o, Muller, Villa, Ibra...and that's just the strikers.

8 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I mean when you can throw that kind of money around without a second thought its not really all that praiseworthy imo. 

Yeah god knows what happens 10 years down the line of throwing money at the problem but never getting any higher in the table than 6th. 

Plus Pogba has hardly been worth the money so far, Luk IMO is massively overrated.

I expect a better season from Pogba in year 2. He wasn't bad in year 1, but not what we hoped and expected.

Lukaku overrated? Not sure how that can be the case, one of the best goalscorers in the game right now without question.

14 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Lukaku overrated? Not sure how that can be the case, one of the best goalscorers in the game right now without question.

I wouldn't say Lukaku's overrated. He's a proven Premiership goalscorer and is still young enough to play an important role in the team for 6-7 years. The number I've heard (75m€) is huge, but I guess that's the going rate for a player of Lukaku's qualities in today's market.

All that being said, the last time he played for Mourinho didn't work out too well so it's reasonable to question how that'll go this time around.

22 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I expect a better season from Pogba in year 2. He wasn't bad in year 1, but not what we hoped and expected.

His goal record is very good (not as good as Kane's btw), but as I mentioned a few times upthread, he doesn't have a great deal to his game. He's big and strong but doesn't tend to hold up the ball, his movement is ok but hes often quite static. His finishing is good I guess, but for a player to be worth £75m I'd want a hell of a lot more out of him. 

8 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

hard to be too impressed.  they have so much money.  next year they will add some other super priced superstar.

I'm a bit torn on this. Obviously United have bucketloads of money and they have the "allure" of being the biggest club in the Premier League, and probably the biggest club in Europe minus Barca and Madrid. So on that front, yes, easy to close deals to get the players they want. That being said, it must be hard for them to get a decent price on anybody. I reckon the moment United are in for someone, most clubs will double their asking price without missing a beat.

27 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I'm a bit torn on this. Obviously United have bucketloads of money and they have the "allure" of being the biggest club in the Premier League, and probably the biggest club in Europe minus Barca and Madrid. So on that front, yes, easy to close deals to get the players they want. That being said, it must be hard for them to get a decent price on anybody. I reckon the moment United are in for someone, most clubs will double their asking price without missing a beat.

With new TV deals and the insane money floating around in the Premier League, the bolded part is true for any Premier League club trying to sign a player from abroad.

Yeah, I agree with Baxus. It does look like the huge money coming into the EPL is making it difficult for the clubs to get deals done. Sure, you can throw big money around but you also don't want to be viewed as easy pickings. Arsenal have done some good business thus far but the rest of the top 6 are finding it tough to get deals done at reasonable prices.

Lukaku was always going to be overpriced for any English club signing him - English clubs tend to have to pay a premium when signing star players from a league rival and even more if that player is English. I doubt Lukaku would have cost that much had he moved abroad. Also don't think that United are going to keep throwing big money around. At least that was not the plan in an interview Woodward gave a few months back where he conceded that initial investment was going to be high to get the club competitive again but expects spending to be curbed down the line. Three managers since Fergie has not helped either. If we can get some stability under Mourinho then I expect the spending to go down as well.

But, as I said before, if we were going to spend massive money on a striker then Lukaku poses the least risk being that he is already an established player and proven goal scorer in the Premier League as well as already settled into life in England. Other forwards we were interested in (Griezmann, Morata, Belotti) were all going to cost about the same anyway.

On 7/10/2017 at 6:25 AM, Jeor said:

I don't even think they're trying to get a decent price because they have so much money.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

I don't even think they're trying to get a decent price because they have so much money.

A full-on galacticos policy would even be happy to pay that indecent price because it increases hype, media attention and therefore shirt sales. 

As much as it feels now like there are too few superstar players for the top clubs to share -- especially the pursuit of top strikers in recent years -- it also feels like there are too few elite clubs for superstar players like James or Alexis who need a move but don't want to leave the tiny pinnacle they've reached.  

18 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

A full-on galacticos policy would even be happy to pay that indecent price because it increases hype, media attention and therefore shirt sales. 

As much as it feels now like there are too few superstar players for the top clubs to share -- especially the pursuit of top strikers in recent years -- it also feels like there are too few elite clubs for superstar players like James or Alexis who need a move but don't want to leave the tiny pinnacle they've reached.  

That's why I don't think Sanchez goes anywhere unless he leaves on free. I just don't see Wenger selling him to City and I don't see any other club he'd go to.

Yeah, I doubt Sanchez leaves in this window and while Arsenal have sold big players in the past to league rivals, I just don't see that happening with Sanchez. Arsenal have already made two good signings. Who knows, maybe Sanchez might be convinced to make a u-turn. If not, he still has the option of signing a pre-contract agreement with another club in January.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, I doubt Sanchez leaves in this window and while Arsenal have sold big players in the past to league rivals, I just don't see that happening with Sanchez. Arsenal have already made two good signings. Who knows, maybe Sanchez might be convinced to make a u-turn. If not, he still has the option of signing a pre-contract agreement with another club in January.

Yes, that's pretty likely.  A lot depends on whether Arsenal will forgo ~50mil to keep him for another year and keep him out of the hands of a rival, and hope for a change of heart when he's an unrestricted free agent (to use an Americanism).  That's a really expensive one-year loan deal if you view it from that perspective.  But pride and stubbornness may be just enough to make Arsenal pay ~50mil of opportunity cost to do this.

From Alexis point of view, leaving Barcelona for Arsenal was a big step down.  If he can jump to City, Juventus or Bayern then he takes a partial step back up, and PSG might even be a slight step up, but I don't see Real or Barca making him an offer, and Bayern looks like a long shot with their squad pretty full, so he doesn't really have a shot at the true elite.

39 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

From Alexis point of view, leaving Barcelona for Arsenal was a big step down.  If he can jump to City, Juventus or Bayern then he takes a partial step back up, and PSG might even be a slight step up, but I don't see Real or Barca making him an offer, and Bayern looks like a long shot with their squad pretty full, so he doesn't really have a shot at the true elite.

I was never convinced about the Bayern rumours. Bayern throwing 50 odd million at a 28 year old player with only one year remaining on his contract would have been a huge breakaway from their usual transfer strategy. Bayern aren't known for spending huge sums of money on transfers - amazingly, their recent acquisition of Tolisso is their record signing and that was a little under £36m.

Sanchez's best bet of a move away in this window does seem to be either Juve or PSG but I don't recall either of those clubs expressing an interest. Unless Arsenal buckles and sells to a league rival (that would not go down well with the fans), it would appear that Sanchez has no choice but to stay. I'm sure Bayern would be very receptive to a pre-contract in January and forgoing a transfer fee would also make Bayern open to meeting Sanchez's wage demands.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Would Arsenal really risk letting him join City (or whoever) on a free next year rather than try and cash in if he wasnt willing to re sign?

Archived