Mad Queen Starting? Daenerys Threatening The North in the Preview

Iron Mother

2 minutes ago, Crona said:

Randyll Tarly

In all seriousness, probably someone like Bronn or Davos 

I thought of Davos but I fear he would dislike me because I'd probably always be trying to fuck Mel in that world :P (assuming she was Carice Van Houten at least)  then again he worshipped Stannis and Stan was basically Mel's love slave. 

Aside from Cersei always and Jaime in early seasons, the show has been very cautious in general in the way it has portrayed grey or morally questionable actions for its main characters. Often it has portrayed those questionable actions in a way that encourages the audience to actually cheer them on rather than think about the consequences.

Sometimes, the questionable actions the show chooses to portray dont even make sense for the character or are pure fan service for popular events from book. Arya baking the freys into pues is most obvious example of this. BookArya would never have done that. 

4 minutes ago, Snormund said:

I thought of Davos but I fear he would dislike me because I'd probably always be trying to fuck Mel in that world :P (assuming she was Carice Van Houten at least)  then again he worshipped Stannis and Stan was basically Mel's love slave. 

Lol  I don't think he's judgy like that, but he'll probably try to warn you about her 

1 minute ago, Snormund said:

He'd be right and I would probably end up burned alive with my luck. I tend to be stupid about women though. 

Lol this so off-topic

But, man Stannis really did it. That wasn't a shadow baby, that just dust that came out of her

1 minute ago, Crona said:

Lol this so off-topic

But, man Stannis really did it. That wasn't a shadow baby, that just dust that came out of her

lol wut? How'd renly die then. 

not like Stan fucked her when she was in grandma form either 

53 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

She fell in love with a man whose was a leader in a culture whose very way of life is pillaging, raping and enslaving. That always bothered me. 

To be fair though wasn't that a lot of the lesson of the end of the first season? Dany being brought down to earth with a bump about what her alliance with Drogo actually entailed?

Generally I'd disagree that her questionable actions aren't dwelt on, in season 5 for example the crucifixions of the masters were referred back to as having killed those who argued against doing the same to the slaves previously. Danys whole story has been a case of walking the line between empathy and pragmatism with the faults of the latter highlighted to her many times by various advisors.

What the show was obviously trying to sell in episode 3 as well was I'd say that Dany has narcissistic tendency's with a realistic look about why people develop them. Most of the time narcissists use it as a defence mechanism to deal with trauma and low self worth that comes with it.

Just a guess but perhaps the finale climax is going to have Jon and Dany switch roles? that is Jon the character who's always been defined by his willingness to die for others has to live to make tough decisions and Dany the character who's been defined by doing just that has instead to accept a selfless death.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, Iron Mother said:

Is this now beginning to show her turning "mad"?  She was getting along with Jon and seemed to be in alliance mode and trusting Jon to convince the North to follow him into a union with her.  Is she freaking out because they harmed Drogon?

She's no more mad than any other warlord fighting for control of a Kingdom or Empire.

Think of the conflict between her and Cersei as like the power struggle between Pompey and Caesar.  Pompey would brook no rival, and Caesar would tolerate no superior.

15 minutes ago, SeanF said:

She's no more mad than any other warlord fighting for control of a Kingdom or Empire.

Think of the conflict between her and Cersei as like the power struggle between Pompey and Caesar.  Pompey would brook no rival, and Caesar would tolerate no superior.

I said earlier I was mistaken the thread was named wrong, thus, my assertion was not correct.

She was not threatening the North in the preview, she was addressing the Lannister/Tarley forces.  Had she been threatening to kill the Northern peoples, I would have thought she was mad.... because of how there was becoming a subtle alliance/truce/coming together of Daenerys and Jon in the last episode. 

1 hour ago, Iron Mother said:

I said earlier I was mistaken the thread was named wrong, thus, my assertion was not correct.

She was not threatening the North in the preview, she was addressing the Lannister/Tarley forces.  Had she been threatening to kill the Northern peoples, I would have thought she was mad.... because of how there was becoming a subtle alliance/truce/coming together of Daenerys and Jon in the last episode. 

Even if she had been threatening the North (or any other region) I'd describe that as ruthless and brutal, rather than "mad."

5 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Even if she had been threatening the North (or any other region) I'd describe that as ruthless and brutal, rather than "mad."

"Mad" in the sense to have the temperament to go from rational talking and allying to "I will kill you".  But she was speaking to different people.  She had never yet communicated with the Lannisters before.  If it was the North, she would have been shifting her tone dramatically within a very short period.  That's what I would describe as "Mad".  One minute you are kissing someone, the next moment you are choking the life out of them.  ie: Ramsey, or shooting hookers in your bedroom for pleasure ie: Joffrey.

7 hours ago, Lord Godric said:

She's not presented as a gray character in the show whatsoever. She presented as the main heroine, the one who will be the savior of Westeros. The reality of how her character acts and the character the writers want to pretend she is do not mesh, at all. They are continually forcing us to see her as this good character who can always do the "just" thing, when in reality her sense of justice is disturbing and twisted. We have never yet been asked by the show itself to question "is Dany right, should Dany rule, is Dany better than the others" we've just been told the answer to all of those questions is "Yes, don't worry" while she proves she is not. 

This is not true at all. She most definitely was questioned by Ser Barristan when she crucified the masters. They even had a shot of her standing on the balcony looking over the city while ominous music played and you could hear the screams of the masters from below. But yes she is being portrayed as a heroine because she is one. She is going North to face the army of the dead with her dragons.  She is very much going to be one of the saviors of Westeros.

17 hours ago, Dany's Golden Fleece said:

Its pretty much how a feudal system works. Game of Thrones is based on the medieval world, a world of blood rights and violence.

Do you think the Starks became Kings of the North by giving people a choice? Might is right.

Probably, not, but they've been ruling for thousands of years and it seems they have love of their people now, which is quite indicative. Boltons had the might (still have in the books), but nobody seems to like them at all.

35 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

This is not true at all. She most definitely was questioned by Ser Barristan when she crucified the masters. They even had a shot of her standing on the balcony looking over the city while ominous music played and you could hear the screams of the masters from below. But yes she is being portrayed as a heroine because she is one. She is going North to face the army of the dead with her dragons.  She is very much going to be one of the saviors of Westeros.

Why don't you ask Mirri Maaz Duur about how much of a "heroine" Dany is?

9 minutes ago, Snormund said:

Why don't you ask Mirri Maaz Duur about how much of a "heroine" Dany is?

A heroine is not necessarily a nice person.

Achilles and Ulyses are archetypal heroes, who still do brutal things.

Archived