football: transfer madness!

MercenaryChef

And to put the cherry on the top for Everton, guess who just scored on his debut for Red Bull?

15 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

Should he reach that score until the end of the season, I would actually feel very bad.

As it stands, he's only three behind KDB.

I got to the gym and turned on the Arsenal match.  It was twenty minutes in and 3-0 already.  Pretty dull game after that. 

Very poor choice by Allardyce to play so defensive and invite pressure.  Why use five defenders against a single striker, but allow their forwards and mids to play with impunity right up to your 18 yard line?  At least the Arsenal fans are off suicide watch now.

As feared, both Utd and Arsenal have upgraded their attack.  Not that it fixes all their problems, but Liverpool are under pressure to keep players fit and keep the goals flowing. 

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Shocking from the linesman there for the Aubameyang goal. 

That was such a bad decision, though I'm not complaining as, along with everyone else, we've had our share of dodgy offside decisions go against us this season. They should just take offside decisions away from refs and linesmen, and have them ruled by Hawkeye. 

Everton were dreadful today. Made us look like a half-decent team.

18 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Boys, it’s okay. Allardici has slammed his players for being pants, so this won’t happen again.

Wait, you say he did that after Tottenham ran all over us as well? Well, I never...

I noticed that.  Looks like a quick route to losing the support of the players.  The goals didn’t come from big errors (other than the linesman failing to flag offside), but the overall set-up invited Arsenal to create chances.  Allardyce likes to bluster to avoid any blame on him but the set-up was wrong today, although Everton have been poor for a month and this wasn’t a particular outlier result against one of the stronger teams. 

But Everton have a relatively light fixture list going forward because they’ve already played most of their games against the top teams.  They’ll pick up points against the smaller teams and Sam can claim to be a savior again.  But it’s a terrible step backward from the optimism of new owners, Koeman and lots of money spent last summer. 

I think that’s right.

I didn’t want Samuele at the start, but - like many, I guess - I thought we should at least give him a chance. After all, Koeman had struggled making a cohesive unit of the players he had, and Rhino was unfortunately not the man to take over. So our options were rather limited at the time. 

He did buy himself time with winning a few of his earliest matches through fixing the defense. Since Christmas, however, his attempt at making us better has gone off the rails. Losses not only against the top teams, but agains the likes of Bournemouth as well (who were struggling at the time). Seeing as my patience with him was of the rather «oh, well, we’ll see how he does», I have lost faith. I think I’m not alone in that among the fan base, but we’ll see.

Perhaps the team can mature some against «lesser» opposition, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. And Samuele’s recruits do not give me great hope either (well, Walcott does, but Tosun is atm behind both Niasse and DCL in the pecking order, and Mangala is a fool’s desicion).

Joe Gomez is missing — I don’t know know if that’s illness or injury — but it leaves Trent with a tough game against Son.

i would have preferred Ox to Milner too but perhaps the plan is to have Ox as an impact sub after first clogging up the midfield. 

Considering the offensive players, only Salah has been quite sharp so far. Kane has been pretty Anonymous.

Oh, and VVD is a rock, an expensive but useful guy.

Should Spurs fail to qualify for CL, I do hope that we will at least attempt to buy M. Dembélé, though. The guy does fouls but he has a gift for going ahead. As I have perhaps already said, I love "Park-Ji Son" too, but I am not sure whether he could move. And Eriksen... argh...

I don't think Salah is having a particularly good game by his standards. Yeah he got the goal but other than that he's failed to play in others either by playing a poor pass or choosing to dribble 2-3 players himself. The forward line of both sides have struggled a bit so far.

Archived