U.S. Politics: The Ideas of Mueller

A True Kaniggit

5 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Definitely looks like the bomber attacked Austin. for being liberal.

"He was a troubled young man who was having a hard time dealing with life's issues." Something never said for a black man ever.

39 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

By 'firing' Mueller what they mean is ending the special investigation. 

But it's not. Because what keeps getting talked about is, will Rosenstein be ordered to fire Mueller. If he doesn't, will Rosenstein be fired and replaced (and so on down the chain) until someone comes in to fire Mueller. Or, sometimes, will Sessions be fired, and a new AG brought in who doesn't have to recuse themselves and they can fire Mueller?

But that isn't how the investigation would be ended. In fact, it almost certainly can't be ended in it's entirety. To undo the existing indictments, plea deals, and filed charges would require the agreement of the various judges who oversee the cases. It would theoretically be possible to prevent any further actions from occurring, but that's still a bigger lift than just firing Mueller; and would likely require the cooperation of quite a few career DOJ officials (at least, so long as Sessions is the AG, since he's recused).

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

"He was a troubled young man who was having a hard time dealing with life's issues." Something never said for a black man ever.

Black people don't understand White pain!

Better to have never had the right to subjugate others at all than to lose it!

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

By 'firing' Mueller what they mean is ending the special investigation. 

And that would very likely benefit Trump greatly if there is something bad to find or if they think that Trump will continue to make unforced errors and continue to obstruct justice. 

Trump is behaving heavily like he thinks the investigation will hurt him, probably because he has done a ton of shady things over the years and knows it. I still don't think he colluded with Russia in any direct, evidence-based way, but I also am totally willing to buy that he's done deals with the Russian mob, had various affairs, cheated heavily on taxes and liabilities, took loans from really shady people and was in general a very immoral businessman. 

I agree with everything except the bolded. What makes you say that? He publicly encouraged Russia to hack his opponent and his campaign manager, son and son-in-law met with a Russian lawyer connected to the Kremlin to get dirt on Clinton. What makes you believe they didn’t take other similar actions? I am doubtful that we’ll ever find a smoking gun that directly ties Trump to collusion, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he did so knowingly.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have developed a theory to explain Trump’s frustrations: He’s not getting any, and hasn’t been for years. That’s how we poli sci in 2018!

I actually buy that.

For serious. That could be why Hope Hicks left. He's getting Rapey

So...the generic House polls. It appears as if the total number that has committed to a party candidate ranges between 80-90%, and I assume there is some verbiage in the questions that makes some polls have fewer undecideds than others (apart from random noise of course). I think the assumption typically is that they would break evenly, but we dont know. Also, there appears to be an enthusiasm gap which may underestimate Dem support.

A long-winded way of saying I am not too concerned by blips in the poll average, I still think its about a 50/50 shot for the Dems to retake the House. (i.e. nothing has changed since last week when I made the same statement)

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I agree with everything except the bolded. What makes you say that? He publicly encouraged Russia to hack his opponent and his campaign manager, son and son-in-law met with a Russian lawyer connected to the Kremlin to get dirt on Clinton. What makes you believe they didn’t take other similar actions? I am doubtful that we’ll ever find a smoking gun that directly ties Trump to collusion, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he did so knowingly.

That's why collaborate and complicit are such good words!  If people are afraid of collusion . . . .

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

Republicans aren’t terribly worried about the “swing” districts the DCCC is targeting. They know it’s turf they have to defend and in general swing district incumbents are battle tested by strong challengers every cycle, Good campaigners, Good fundraisers and not terribly unpopular In their respective districts. Given that most incumbents win, I think republicans expect they will flip some seats and lose some seats for mostly a 2012 esque wash that doesn’t affect control of the house.

This just isn't true.  By my quick count, only 79 of the 239 members of the House Republican caucus took office before 2010.  That's almost exactly a third, meaning two thirds have never faced any real headwinds.  This is actually one of the most underrated vulnerabilities of this cycle.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Ooh, any corroborating evidence? I read last night he wasn't politically motivated.

My brother mentioned this the other day - maybe it's an angry Texan at the liberal city.  My response was aren't all cities, even in Texas, liberal?  Houston had one of the first openly lesbian mayors in the country's history.  Eh, guess it's a bad idea to project my thought process onto a serial bomber.  Or at least I hope it is.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

But it's not. Because what keeps getting talked about is, will Rosenstein be ordered to fire Mueller. If he doesn't, will Rosenstein be fired and replaced (and so on down the chain) until someone comes in to fire Mueller. Or, sometimes, will Sessions be fired, and a new AG brought in who doesn't have to recuse themselves and they can fire Mueller?

But that isn't how the investigation would be ended. In fact, it almost certainly can't be ended in it's entirety. To undo the existing indictments, plea deals, and filed charges would require the agreement of the various judges who oversee the cases. It would theoretically be possible to prevent any further actions from occurring, but that's still a bigger lift than just firing Mueller; and would likely require the cooperation of quite a few career DOJ officials (at least, so long as Sessions is the AG, since he's recused).

Well, I tend to interchange firing Mueller and quashing the investigation.  They both mean the same thing to me, but you're right that they're technically very different.  And yeah, even if he kills the investigation, it will be reverted back to the FBI, and the ongoing charges/cases would continue.

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I agree with everything except the bolded. 

I actually agree 100% with Kal here.  I don't think Trump did anything that could prove collusion, partly because the Russians are probably smart enough not to compromise an asset in such a way and ensured he had plausible deniability.

6 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I think the assumption typically is that they would break evenly, but we dont know. Also, there appears to be an enthusiasm gap which may underestimate Dem support.

Very good point.  The enthusiasm gap should lead one to expect the undecideds will split favorably towards the Dems.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think they did because I don't think Russia would be so stupid as to leave an obvious trail like that back to them, especially when they didn't need to. While Trump's campaign was laughably disorganized and idiotic, Russia's campaign was quite methodical, slick, thoughtful and deliberate. 

I absolutely think that if they were given the option to do so, they would have tried, but at the end of the day I doubt Putin would have authorized it because he knows how poor Trump's operations were. Instead, it's far easier to simply do Trump nice favors, say nice things about him and act in his interest in the way they want to do anyway.

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Ooh, any corroborating evidence? I read last night he wasn't politically motivated.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/what-we-know-about-austin-bomber-mark-conditt.html

What We Know About Austin Bomber Mark Conditt

Conditt wrote about his opposition to gay marriage and abortion, and his support for the death penalty.

I haven't seen it here since I haven't been on here as much since life has gotten kind of busy and chaotic for me the past few months, but I have seen people posting that Richard Spencer says Antifa is winning quote / article.

While the gathering of fascists definitely seems to be in its twilight days (for now at least) and that is a huge blow to the their ability to recruit, whch is terrific, it is far from over.

The people that make up the far right are entitled rich white dudes that are used to getting everything they've ever wanted since it has always been spoon fed to them since birth.

They're going to throw tantrums in the face of not getting their way. That unfortunately means their tantrum throwing will be in the form of open and prevalent violence. They will most likely use cell organizations who's only goal is to get a body count. Think of something like the Atomwaffen Division.

If someone in your community thinks they're being watched, gather people to keep them safe. If someone starts threatening your community, let everyone know so they can keep their guard up.

Most importantly, if you're physically and legally able to, take strides to be able to defend yourself, your community, and those that can't defend themselves. It doesn't matter how you do that. If it is getting armed, learning a martial art, getting medically trained, do it. Nobody is going to protect you except yourself and your comrades, especially not the cops.

And that Austin bomber was apart of a far right christian terrorist "survival" group.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/austin-bomber-mark-anthony-conditt-texas-christian-righteous-invasion-truth-a8267976.html

If they were a group of muslims or a group of black people like the black panthers, that rampage would have been called terrorism.

21 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I don't think they did because I don't think Russia would be so stupid as to leave an obvious trail like that back to them, especially when they didn't need to. While Trump's campaign was laughably disorganized and idiotic, Russia's campaign was quite methodical, slick, thoughtful and deliberate. 

I absolutely think that if they were given the option to do so, they would have tried, but at the end of the day I doubt Putin would have authorized it because he knows how poor Trump's operations were. Instead, it's far easier to simply do Trump nice favors, say nice things about him and act in his interest in the way they want to do anyway.

Until they decide damaging a U.S. President is more in their interest and begin leaking what they know.

2 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Until they decide damaging a U.S. President is more in their interest and begin leaking what they know.

Sure! It puts the US in an incredibly precarious situation, but Russia is otherwise in a great situation. Trump essentially is doing everything they want - destabilizing NATO, fracturing prior relationships with European and Asian allies, destroying free trade agreements, even propping up oil prices. And the best part is that the US is doing absolutely nothing of consequence against Russia. Heck, they even got a congrats for their sham election! Trump is also causing the US to become even more polarized, more insular, more combative and caring less about foreign issues. Meanwhile, Russia gets to support Syria and wipe out huge swaths of the country at their whim.

The US is even getting sucked back into Afghanistan!

The thing Russia needs to make sure happens is that they destroy anything remotely linking them to Trump, even if it isn't concrete, and then they can simply claim plausible deniability and ride the train out on that. After that, they need to focus on digging up dirt and hurting the Democrat push in congress somewhat - but only somewhat, because impeaching (but not finding guilty) Trump works for them real well too. While I expect Russian ops to be a bit more hardcore, I also expect them to be more focused and precise - attacking certain politicians, or certain races, or going after certain voting areas which are weak. 

Just now, Free Northman Reborn said:

I was commenting on his paranoid extremist political views.

A literal Illinois Nazi just won the primary for Republicans. Like, that happened. Hate crimes are up about 80% since 2016. Atomwaffen is something which actually exists, and has so far killed 5 people. And that's not including things like this bomber, Dylann Roof, the Las Vegas guy, Charlottesville, etc. 

What, precisely, did he say which was particularly paranoid or extremist? And how is that different than your views, which is that you need to make sure that you can fire 30+ rounds from a single magazine without reloading at high capacity in order to save yourself from home invasion?

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

A literal Illinois Nazi just won the primary for Republicans.

To be fair, he was unopposed.  The new news in the Illinois 3rd is Lipinski juuuust beat Marie Newman 51-49.

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

To be fair, he was unopposed.  The new news in the Illinois 3rd is Lipinski juuuust beat Marie Newman 51-49.

20,000 people still voted for him. Republicans haven't said a word about him. It's a problem. 

Archived