Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Which Tyler

UK Politics - From Russia with Love

101 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mankytoes said:

I feel it's one that people are quite entrenched in. I think it's quite a sensitive topic for people who are circumcised, or who have had their children circumcised, when phrases like "genital mutilation" start being used (even though technically...).

I wouldn't make a law specifically about circumcision, I'd make a law banning any unnecessary surgery or permanent body modification on a child. It's bizarre to me that no country in the world, apparently, has that. 

A seemingly simple solution fraught with issues - the most obvious that jumps out is different interpretations of ‘necessary’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mankytoes said:

I feel it's one that people are quite entrenched in. I think it's quite a sensitive topic for people who are circumcised, or who have had their children circumcised, when phrases like "genital mutilation" start being used (even though technically...).

I wouldn't make a law specifically about circumcision, I'd make a law banning any unnecessary surgery or permanent body modification on a child. It's bizarre to me that no country in the world, apparently, has that. 

Hehe, yes, it's quite glorious. Also the way it's rationalized.. Anyway, this thread isn't the place for it (the audience is too small ;) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

A seemingly simple solution fraught with issues - the most obvious that jumps out is different interpretations of ‘necessary’

Well yeah, these things have to be ironed out, we have common law to set precedent, I don't see it as anymore difficult than figuring out what is "reasonable" self defence, and issues like that.

It would certainly be very difficult to argue that any body modification procedure not approved by a doctor is necessary. Most of the arguments around male circumcision are about whether it is harmful, or beneficial, but I haven't heard anyone actually claim it's "necessary". 

I look at it this way- say circumcision just never existed, and I founded a new religion, and said we should circumcise our baby boys, people would be saying I was mentally ill. People have the right to do whatever they want to their own bodies, but not to the bodies of others, including their children. We should teach everyone that no one has the right to do things to their bodies without their consent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

Well yeah, these things have to be ironed out, we have common law to set precedent, I don't see it as anymore difficult than figuring out what is "reasonable" self defence, and issues like that.

It would certainly be very difficult to argue that any body modification procedure not approved by a doctor is necessary. Most of the arguments around male circumcision are about whether it is harmful, or beneficial, but I haven't heard anyone actually claim it's "necessary". 

I look at it this way- say circumcision just never existed, and I founded a new religion, and said we should circumcise our baby boys, people would be saying I was mentally ill. People have the right to do whatever they want to their own bodies, but not to the bodies of others, including their children. We should teach everyone that no one has the right to do things to their bodies without their consent.

I don’t disagree with you, just pointing out that there are obvious reasons why these ideas/laws aren’t in practice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I don’t disagree with you, just pointing out that there are obvious reasons why these ideas/laws aren’t in practice

There is nothing that makes me think that law would be especially difficult to interpret, I think it's just religious groups (and social norms in countries like America) that stop those laws. Iceland is a fantastic country, I really hope they pass their law banning this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Mikael said:

Hehe, yes, it's quite glorious. Also the way it's rationalized.. Anyway, this thread isn't the place for it (the audience is too small ;) )

There's also the little fact that the natives here are likely to be pretty much unanimous. It's really not a contraversial topic in the UK, something like 3% of male babies.

I suspect we don't have a law against it as cultural norms have already dealt with it, along with an acceptance that religious nutters will find a way of doing it regardless, so let's keep it clean when it is done.

Arguments about hygeine and disease reductions are scientifically void.

Edited by Which Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right,  since people really do feel the need, I've created a new topic for you to discuss this in.  lets keep this one to relevent UK politics and Russian Murder attempts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks, Pebs. [mod] please take the circumcision discussion to the new thread. thank you. [/mod]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thoughts on how Brexit may accelerate the process of a united Ireland and Northern Ireland leaving the rest of the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hardly surprising, Brexit is the result of the rise of English nationalism, a force whose absence, post-Great Power decline, academics and analysts always found so amazing. Anecdotally, most of my Brexiteer friends regard getting rid of Northern Ireland and Scotland as a bonus rather than a drawback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noted for many years that the devotion that many NI Unionists have for the mainland is not as passionately reciprocated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to get as English as the English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, far too Scottish Presbyterian!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coalition of the willing time!  

You Eurocommies in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hereward said:

Hardly surprising, Brexit is the result of the rise of English nationalism, a force whose absence, post-Great Power decline, academics and analysts always found so amazing. Anecdotally, most of my Brexiteer friends regard getting rid of Northern Ireland and Scotland as a bonus rather than a drawback.

Though Wales was as pro-Brexit as England was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So why aren’t you guys more pumped that you have a major league baseball team now? You don’t have to watch cricket anymore, @Hereward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baseball?  that's Rounders isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Hereward said:

?

The Miami Marlins are owned by a shell corporation based in the British Virgin Islands. Therefore, they are an English club.

Congratulations!

49 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Baseball?  that's Rounders isn't it?

Calling baseball rounders is significantly worse than calling soccer football! Both are crimes against humanity though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Miami Marlins are owned by a shell corporation based in the British Virgin Islands. Therefore, they are an English club.

Congratulations!

Calling baseball rounders is significantly worse than calling soccer football! Both are crimes against humanity though.

I wonder what you would say when I call American Football Rugby with body armour.

 

I will however admit that we did take Basketball and corrupted that to be Netball so its not all a one way game perversion thing going on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0