MLB: Offseason Sweepstakes Edition

Myshkin

I hate the fucking Angels!

Also, Yu Darvish is gonna be posted sometime today. He was amazing to watch in the WBC and I'm excited to see him come over to the MLB, even though the Dodgers have no chance of landing him.

Adios, Albert!

Seems like a bad move (long term) for the Angels. And it doesn't feel smart for Albert either. But it's a heck of a paycheck.

Doesn't seem smart for him? He gets a quarter billion dollars and a no-trade clause, he gets to rest from playing defense every game, and he gets to get out of St Louis (the city, not the team). It seems like a very smart move for him.

It seems like a really smart move for St Louis, too.

Doesn't seem smart for him? He gets a quarter billion dollars and a no-trade clause, he gets to rest from playing defense every game, and he gets to get out of St Louis (the city, not the team). It seems like a very smart move for him.

It seems like a really smart move for St Louis, too.

Oh to be sure. But can't sometimes smart moves be dumb too? Though one tends to forget that Albert does have two rings...why not get the money when you can.

And I know it's better for the Cubs if he's out of the division, but the baseball fan in me is a little sad when a player of Pujols' caliber up and moves for money (even when he deserves it) because you just want to see your stars stay put for their entire career. There's something to be said for that continuity...and I know that that is a old fashioned sentiment...

I totally get wanting your team's stars to stay and it hurts a bit if they leave for money. When I was a kid, Kirby Puckett was the star in MN and his contract was coming up. He had an offer from the Red Sox that was a lot more money and I was really sad because I thought he was going to bolt. Then, he signed with the Twins instead and it made me worship him even more.

I understand. I just meant...Albert had an absurd amount of money thrown at him. And St Louis has never sounded like a rad city to live in. Of course, I'd rather drown myself in a vat of Kershaw's sweat and Kemp's tears than live in LA, but still.

And I know it's better for the Cubs if he's out of the division, but the baseball fan in me is a little sad when a player of Pujols' caliber up and moves for money (even when he deserves it) because you just want to see your stars stay put for their entire career. There's something to be said for that continuity...and I know that that is a old fashioned sentiment...

For me, the upside of this is that if we actually decide to go to a game next year, I've got a much better chance of seeing this freak of nature play.

I totally get wanting your team's stars to stay and it hurts a bit if they leave for money. When I was a kid, Kirby Puckett was the star in MN and his contract was coming up. He had an offer from the Red Sox that was a lot more money and I was really sad because I thought he was going to bolt. Then, he signed with the Twins instead and it made me worship him even more.

I remember seeing ESPN show Twins fans singing in their best Lennon: "All we are saying.... is give Puck the cash!" What did he get, something like an astounding $3 million per year? $3 million!! Outrage!!

Some of us like living here, I know that's impossible and everybody should be dying to go to a coast so we can be with the in crowd, but here we are none the less.

Huh? It seems you've mistaken me for a coastal-bias kind of guy. I'm from a much smaller place than St Louis. However, the..three, I think...people I've met who've lived in St Louis were all happy to leave, they didn't care for it (two were born there, one just lived there for awhile).

ETA: obviously three isn't indicative of an entire population, but it's all the opinion i have to work with.

Huh? It seems you've mistaken me for a coastal-bias kind of guy. I'm from a much smaller place than St Louis. However, the..three, I think...people I've met who've lived in St Louis were all happy to leave, they didn't care for it (two were born there, one just lived there for awhile).

ETA: obviously three isn't indicative of an entire population, but it's all the opinion i have to work with.

Born in the city, grew up in the 'burbs. I moved away for college and circumstances had me working near Chicago, an area I have grown to love dearly, but if I had the right opportunity, I'd move back to the St. Louis area. So many friends still in the area.

I don't think Albert left because he wanted to leave St. Louis. Heck, he's pretty much a Midwesterner from the word go. I think his move to Anaheim had more to do with the notion (perhaps fact) that he should be compensated like the best player of his era and that the Cardinals have pretty much had him at a bargain for 11 years. A home town discount wasn't going to happen, especially after the Matt Holliday contract was signed. If anything, the Cardinals lost Albert right there when they held firm on their offer from last winter. They should have locked him up first before the Holliday deal, if they wanted to keep Pujols long term.

The deal just simmered too long and neither side would budge. When Anaheim shows up with a swimming pool full of cash, Albert says, there it is.... let's go.

Nothing to do with regions, but a lot to do with one man's respect and a lot to do with one club's long vision of competing.

I could be wrong, though.

pujols belongs in the american league.

i will explain.

he is a really amazing hitter. his numbers have spoken for themselves. his fielding is decent, but trivial. in the american league he can take on the role of designated hitter and have a career that is five or so years longer than he could have had in the nl playing 1st base each night and not just coming out four or so times a game to hit the ball.

plus, the pitching in the american league is not of the same caliber of the national league. sure, there are few aces. but, the nl pitching is just better.

i could see pujols putting up some amazing numbers for a long time in the american league. if i was mike scioscia first i would kiss my 1988 world series ring and give orel hershiser a hug. then i would never ever play pujols in the field. bat him 3 or 4 in the lineup and let his bat do the talking. also i would hoped to win the al west crown. anything else will be seen as a failure and he could find himself looking for a new job.

Been mourning the inevitable, but still sad departure of Mark Buehrle. I will just count myself lucky that he gave me some of my favorite baseball - nay - life memories of the past ten years. Seeing his perfect game is still pretty much the best day of my life. And having a guy of his class and caliber on my team was always a point of pride. I wish him the best of luck, although to be quite frank I think the Marlins WAY overpaid for him. I'm sure no one was even close. I did want him to stay in Chicago, but I could have handled him going to his hometown Cards. NO one would have blamed the guy. But this Marlins thing just feels a bit icky.

As for Pujols, I just started dating a die-hard Cards fan (my first ever non-White Sox boyfriend) and I think his gut is still in knots. But I'm more of the opinion that this was a good move for Albert and for the Cards. I mean, I obviously feel for their fans because it's not fun losing your franchise player that helped bring you two WS and is shaping up to be an icon. But 250million is just sick, and yeah he was destined to go into the AL eventually anyway. I've always respected the teams that the Cards have put together and I think they will probably manage to develop something solid to still compete this year.

pujols belongs in the american league.

i will explain.

he is a really amazing hitter. his numbers have spoken for themselves. his fielding is decent, but trivial. in the american league he can take on the role of designated hitter and have a career that is five or so years longer than he could have had in the nl playing 1st base each night and not just coming out four or so times a game to hit the ball.

plus, the pitching in the american league is not of the same caliber of the national league. sure, there are few aces. but, the nl pitching is just better.

i could see pujols putting up some amazing numbers for a long time in the american league. if i was mike scioscia first i would kiss my 1988 world series ring and give orel hershiser a hug. then i would never ever play pujols in the field. bat him 3 or 4 in the lineup and let his bat do the talking. also i would hoped to win the al west crown. anything else will be seen as a failure and he could find himself looking for a new job.

His being in the AL will extend (if they do use him correctly) his performance by 2-3 years. If he can avoid any freak accidents/injuries, yeah - he could still be putting up good numbers later into his 30's and then they send him to the Yankees at 38.

So, I finally became not depressed enough to make a comment in the MLB thread. This may be the worst week in Texas Ranger history. Not only did the only other team in our division that competes with us land the best player in baseball, but they also stole our ace pitcher the same day. It is looking more and more likely that as an old man, I will be telling kids about the time when the Rangers were one strike away from winning the World Series twice in one game.

Archived