Football v 35.0

baxus

Aston Villa. :laugh:

And in astonishing news, Manchester United actually defended well against West Brom when they started dominating in the second half. In less astonishing news, Van Persie made it safe by scoring a cracker when he came on.

Shame Norwich couldn't scrape an equaliser.

11 goals and 9 assists in half a season, those are very good figures for Giroud. Hopefully we can win away at Southampton and keep this up, I still think Giroud is more suited to playing center forward than Walcott is.

I still think Giroud is more suited to playing center forward than Walcott is.

Much more. As shown by the fact that in the first half Walcott was almost invisible apart from the goal despite Newcastle playing right into his hands with a high line, and in the second Walcott was okay but when Giroud came on he tore Newcastle apart.

Much more. As shown by the fact that in the first half Walcott was almost invisible apart from the goal despite Newcastle playing right into his hands with a high line, and in the second Walcott was okay but when Giroud came on he tore Newcastle apart.

To be fair though, we were quite woeful in the first half. We were playing on the break at home, something which we almost never do. It's a credit to Newcastle, they were much better at the end of the half. We obviously came out better after the break, Podolski and Gibbs are great down the left side although Gibbs is suspect when he's forced to defend. I'm not sure what's going to happen from now on, I'd prefer seeing Giroud start in the center and Walcott on the right, but that's probably not going to happen. Even at Wigan, we only got the penalty when Walcott came in from the right. I don't understand this obsession with playing through the center. Additionally, at CB, I'm not sure who we're going to play. I'd much rather see Kos and Per together, however Tommy did have a good game today and Wenger obviously won't drop him. Kos was very very good in the air today, though we still ship silly goals.

To be fair though, we were quite woeful in the first half. We were playing on the break at home, something which we almost never do.

Yeah but Walcott only once showed for the ball to be played over the top - and then you scored. He spent the rest of the half hiding and the one other chance he had to break clear he bottled it.

By scoring 3 goals , he will have made a strong case for himself. I guess it seems likely he will get a chance to play in that position now for the next game. I heard the commentator say that this is the position he always wants to play in. Seems a bit weird to me, he must surely realize that he is not much of a finisher normally. Giroud was very sharp when he came on though, and he is much more of a center than Walcott. Walcott can compete with AOC on the right wing position.

In other news, van Persie was awesome again. I wonder if he will be able to off-set the loss of Rooney the next few weeks.

he must surely realize that he is not much of a finisher normally.

He's actually quite a good finisher. He's just not very good at anything else needed to be a proper center-forward- holding it up, general control, movement to drag defenders about....

He's just got this obsession with being a CF because that's what Henry was on the teamsheet- he doesn't seem to realise that Henry was playing essentially the same position out wide (although on the left obviously) that he does, just without that central striker in there as well.

I also saw the fairly good point made elsewhere that out of everything he did yesterday, only the second goal actually came from the middle. Both of the others and his assist involved him cutting in from the flank.

Sky's "sources" say that Newcastle have agreed a fee with Debuchy, that is surely good news for Newcastle fans.

ETA: The BBC are also running the same story, if true, the influx of french players at Newcastle kinda goes against Pardew's whole "English premier league" crap from a few seasons ago

somebody please check on Merc Chef and Big Weird Bastard. I fear they might be contemplating jumping off of a bridge...

i am still quite saddened by the poor play of the toon as of late. and the total destruction by arsenal was just horrid.

Sky's "sources" say that Newcastle have agreed a fee with Debuchy, that is surely good news for Newcastle fans.

ETA: The BBC are also running the same story, if true, the influx of french players at Newcastle kinda goes against Pardew's whole "English premier league" crap from a few seasons ago

good news.

bad news. it is reported that chelsea have activated the 7.5 million pound release clause for demba ba. god damn it.

Tough matchup between Everton and Chelsea today. Everton did well enough and a point would have been deserved.

Chelsea have so many potential goalscorers though, and they even kept Oscar on the bench in favour of Lampard, who once again proved his immense worth. Everton on the other hand obviously lose a lot of danger when Fellaini doesn't play. Also, I thought it was the first time that David Luiz was played as a defensive midfielder, interesting choice. Ivanovic and Cahill formed the centre, both excellent choices of course, but with Luiz and Terry they basically have 4 very good options there when everybody's fit.

@Calibandar:

luiz played at defensive midfilder in the match before, too.

it seems to suit him rather well.

i wonder if chelsea will actually let cole, terry and lampard leave after this season.

on liverpool match, i would've loved seeing liverpool score some more goals against qpr, especially after the way they started the game.

of course, i'm very happy with both the win and the performance, since qpr was mostly non-threatening except for a few long shots which reina handled well.

hopefully they find some consistency and start getting some wins in a row.

Chelsea fans (or others): As an aside to Baxus' question above, what do you reckon the chances of Terry being politely forced to leave at the end of the season/his contract are, whatever his wishes? Is he beloved enough at the Bridge or still good enough that him being generally embarrassing/a racist will be overlooked or will the higher ups decide they've had enough?

in other news blatter finds the mls is struggling in america.

i encourage him to go to portland, dc, seattle, ny, los angeles, columbus, chicago. let him spend ninety minutes in these parks.

certainly it is not europe. but, this is a country with three other sports (and usually hockey making four) to compete with. suck it, sepp. watch your own children. don't worry about the neighbors. they are just fine.

Wouldn't surprise me if he were gone or if he stayed, to be honest. I'm in the States, and therefore don't have the pulse of the local fanbase, but I would not be surprised if it depended more on his relationship with Abramovic than anything else. But unless they're committed to the Luiz-at-Shielding-Midfield tactic (unlikely with Lampard able to move back there and John-Obi Mikel), they do have enough decent center-back options to not need him absolutely. On the filip side, he is very good at compartmentalizing and not playing worse when his off-the-field travesties occur.

But I do get the impression that a lot of Chelsea fans are kind of tired of defending him.

Cole I would absolutely not want to lose.

Archived