Football v 35.0

baxus

So nice comfortable 4-0 win there. Van Persie and Hernandez looking like a brilliant partnership that Rooney's going to struggle to break into, because for all the talk of Rooney and RvP striking up an understanding, they were never on the same wavelength the way RvP and Chicharito have been over the Christmas period.

Carrick also looking more and more like the player he was a few years ago, which is nice.

And yet all of these competitors are small sports in many Western European countries, where soccer dominates all. When we were growing up, tennis was the biggest sport in terms of taking young guys away from the sport of football. Tennis doesn't nearly have that sort of percentage in the US either.

You're talking as if football and American sports were the only sports in existence.

And also as if the US and Western Europe were the only countries in existence.

The usual reason. Too many other fans get offensive about the MLS with no provocation.

You should probably define what you mean by "there." The MLS is most certainly "here" and seemingly making greatish strides. If you mean will the Earthquakes be competing in the Champions League next year? then certainly not. Or anything in between; I can't tell.

I think we had this discussion quite recently. If getting stick gets a fan so irate, don't talk about football with Europeans. In the case of the MLS it gets stick as a unified entity because no-one really knows enough about specific clubs to dish it on that basis. Like I said before, the MLS isn't getting more unprovoked vitriol than Liverpool at the moment.

What I find weird though is that most MLS fans who also follow an English/European team react completely differently when someone takes a dig at their European side.

When I say 'there', I mean at the highest level might one reasonably expect it to develop to.

There's a world of difference between something long established, with a rich history and tradition getting shit on versus something new and up and hopefully coming trying to establish themselves as an autonomous entity instead of being compared to said establishment. Many of the MLS supporters in this thread are ardent supporters of well established franchises in other sports - NFL, NHL, MLB and give and receive shit quite frequently to one another. But those franchises they support have been around for a while, and they can withstand it. The MLS doesn't have the solid foundation of tradition etc.

polishgenius, are you really this willfully contrary or do you really not understand the difference? Have you ever seen an MLS game? Are you even familiar with that you so openly agree is ok to be ribbed and mocked? You're a one man old boy's network. Cripes.

Anyways.

I love watching Chicharito.

polishgenius, are you really this willfully contrary or do you really not understand the difference? Have you ever seen an MLS game? Are you even familiar with that you so openly agree is ok to be ribbed and mocked? You're a one man old boy's network. Cripes.

What the fuck are you even talking about? The MLS fans think their league should get special cottonwool protection from all the mean people saying bad things awww and I'm the contrarian?

Polish

You said earlier:

I'm certainly not suggesting that Blatter's completely in the right with what he's saying but are you under the impression that football doesn't compete with other sports in, you know, every other country?

The thrust of your replies on this topic seems to be denying the fact that soccer has a harder time making in the US than in other parts of the world. I think this is patently false, hency my post above. In the US there is fiercer competition for soccer than there is in other parts of the world, yes. The only way to deny this is if you are really unaware of how big those sports are, how many people they draw in, and that it's not one or two, but 4 massive, established sports that soccer would "compete" against.

I would also not assume that soccer *will* ever get to be a really big sport there. The US has it's own culture with its own sports that it dominates globally, and it's easy to see why that is more attractive than soccer. And even then, soccer is doing fairly well in the US from what I have seen. Personally I wouldn't even want the US to have a dominant league in soccer, anymore than I would like this to be the case in China. I'd like the best players to stay in Europe.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

That you're telling MLS fans to suck it up and take it, but I'm not even sure you know what you're telling them to suck up and take. It goes way deeper than taking some 'stick'. Have you ever supported a team/league that wasn't well-established?

That you're telling MLS fans to suck it up and take it, but I'm not even sure you know what you're telling them to suck up and take. It goes way deeper than taking some 'stick'. Have you ever supported a team/league that wasn't well-established?

I'm not telling them to suck up and take it. I'm telling them to stop acting like special flowers. Everything's good for mockery and everything gets it. Some of it might be extra spiteful but 90% of what I see is no different to what we give each other. The MLS might get a bit more attention because, well, it is America and also because there's more of its fans around talking about it, but it doesn't get treated any differently than, for example, the A-league.

Have you ever supported a team/league that wasn't well-established?

I support Poland internationally while living in England, so yeah, plenty of opportunity there for a target. I'm not too sure why that's relevant - being a plastic fan of a big team just means I get different stick.

The thrust of your replies on this topic seems to be denying the fact that soccer has a harder time making in the US than in other parts of the world.

I made a post before replying pretty specifically to that issue. Me saying that the MLS doing better than many but not as well as some leagues in similar positions seems to have been either ignored or taken as a heinous attack on the integrity of American Soccer though. :dunno:

People mocking your European side make fun of your team's shit play or reliance on wealthy ownership or what-have-you. People mocking MLS are mocking your league's right to exist. They are not the same thing.

People mocking your European side make fun of your team's shit play or reliance on wealthy ownership or what-have-you. People mocking MLS are mocking your league's right to exist. They are not the same thing.

I understand where you're coming from but... The thing is, I've never been under the impression that people on this board went out of their way to mock MLS or its legitimacy, nor were obnoxious about it. Or am I just blanking those posts out?

So I am, as well, often surprised by the vehemence you guys display any time you feel MLS has been slighted.

Of course Blatter is a stupid jerk, but really, I don't think anyone on this board, or on this thread, is out to get you. Maybe your experiences on other parts of the internet are coloring your reactions a little bit?

I wish I could attend more games, both European and American. I feel it's your duty as a soccer fan. Obviously other things take precedence. The quality on display shouldn't really affect this.

Anyway, as I am still in Ireland for the holidays, I'm taking it upon myself to attend another Celtic game. Now if only I could bloody well sleep!

a big fuck you to fernando torres....

and here is why:

1. the dick decided to leave liverpool for chelsea. liverpool needed a striker. they spent way too much on at the time newcastle's star striker andy carroll.

2. at chelsea he has been a complete boob. he has been near impotent as a striker. so, chelsea decides to buy newcastlte's star striker demba ba.

fuck you, fernando torres. i hate your filthy guts.

a big fuck you to fernando torres....

and here is why:

1. the dick decided to leave liverpool for chelsea. liverpool needed a striker. they spent way too much on at the time newcastle's star striker andy carroll.

2. at chelsea he has been a complete boob. he has been near impotent as a striker. so, chelsea decides to buy newcastlte's star striker demba ba.

fuck you, fernando torres. i hate your filthy guts.

Yeah but all that really means is you can play Cisse in the middle where he's actually good.

Felt good to get a win today!

Overall, it could have gone either way, so no complaints from me (except that we keep playing John Heitinga. He's a complete liability).

Oh, and I hate the way we try to defend one-goal leads. Last 20 minutes were agonizing!

Archived