[tPaTQ Spoilers] New possibility for the origin of Dany's dragons

joluoto2

Vey interesting, thanks for the quotes. I remember the ADwD one, but I never realized Quaithe may have contacted Dany in AGoT through her dream.

I wouldn't be surprised if Quaithe has been keeping tabs on Dany far longer than we suspect. I also suspect that just as the Stark kids were sent the direwolves so was Dany sent the dragons.

Only that there aren't proves that ever happened at all.

Even pathological liars may tell the truth once in a while, and he has not be proven to be one. What's the proof that a really rich merchant like him didn't get the eggs from asshai? or the clue?

Nothing. But there is no proof the other way around as well. Nothing beyond his word, flimsy as it is. Could be either way, we just can't know.

If they were Targ eggs, he'd have said so I think.

"As a contribution to your attempt to reclaim your father's rights, I gift you your families greatest treasures" or something.

Then Dany or Viserys could/would ask: "How did you get them? Did you smuggle in a spy during the last six months after we arrived at your doorstep, raiding a cache lost for 15 years? Or did you steal them while our father died, but without taking an interest in us for 15 years? Suspicious..."

That's the problem: any hint that these eggs are Targaryen eggs leads directly to the fAegon-scheme or to Varys (to their best knowledge the Usurper's loyal spider).

Can't have a positive effect, likely has a negative effect. Then why should Illyrio tell the truth? Scruples?

Then Dany or Viserys could/would ask: "How did you get them? Did you smuggle in a spy during the last six months after we arrived at your doorstep, raiding a cache lost for 15 years? Or did you steal them while our father died, but without taking an interest in us for 15 years? Suspicious..."

That's the problem: any hint that these eggs are Targaryen eggs leads directly to the fAegon-scheme or to Varys (to their best knowledge the Usurper's loyal spider).

Can't have a positive effect, likely has a negative effect. Then why should Illyrio tell the truth? Scruples?

Exactly, it would raise a lot of unconfortable questions for Ilyrio.

Why would he lie about the eggs? It's not like he expected them to hatch. ;)

Because if he says where he really got them, Dany and especially Viserys would, reasonably, ask why the hell a Pentoshi merchant ended up with their family's property.

(I also think Dany's eggs are actually from the family stash, for what it's worth.)

Because if he says where he really got them, Dany and especially Viserys would, reasonably, ask why the hell a Pentoshi merchant ended up with their family's property.

(I also think Dany's eggs are actually from the family stash, for what it's worth.)

I just think it would be so very boring if the only dragon eggs in the whole wide world would all come from the Targaryens. With the little tidbits of info from tPatQ, or well, let's say hints that give us some room to speculate, I find it compelling to think that there could have been other places to get some eggs besides Targ stashes.

Of course, even if the eggs Dany is given came to Illyrio by the way of Asshai, they could still be of Targaryen origin. But I'm keeping an open mind with regards to possible dragons of old outside Westeros who might have layed a few Easter surprises somewhere... A girl can hope!

After reading some of the posts about Quaithe, I think I am more on board with Quaithe = Shiera Seastar...

Think about it

If what some suspect is true, that the three-eyed crow sent Mama Direwolf and the pups specifically to the Stark children, then its a Targaryen bastard plotting major events. If Quaithe is Shiera and had a part in the Dragon eggs, that's another Targ bastard pulling large strings.

I love this concept because instead of Jon and Dany's stories, the Song of Ice and Fire seems to be about/start from Brynden and Shiera. their strange story.

After reading some of the posts about Quaithe, I think I am more on board with Quaithe = Shiera Seastar...

Think about it

If what some suspect is true, that the three-eyed crow sent Mama Direwolf and the pups specifically to the Stark children, then its a Targaryen bastard plotting major events. If Quaithe is Shiera and had a part in the Dragon eggs, that's another Targ bastard pulling large strings.

I love this concept because instead of Jon and Dany's stories, the Song of Ice and Fire seems to be about/start from Brynden and Shiera. their strange story.

Tyrion ASOS

"It all goes back and back to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance in our steads."

It is known....

With all the secret Targs and forgotten Targaryen branches theorized to be running around everywhere, what do you people think of a potential branch orginating from Prince Daemon and Nettles?

I think there descendants would have a huge amount of awesome genes. And I would love to get some kind of tie in to them.

I do think Bran's vision about the dargon's stirring beneath the sunrise, was reffering to Dany's eggs and them being from the shadow lands as Illyrio claimed ...

That's good observation - I honestly don't see the need for IIlyrio to lie, doesn't make sense to me.

Besides having the dragons eggs come from Shadow Lands / Asshai makes the story so much more interesting.

Besides having the dragons eggs come from Shadow Lands / Asshai makes the story so much more interesting.

I never got the fascination with Asshai. I would find it more interesting if Varys and Illyrio had eggs from the Targaryens. That would probably make for a good D&E story or story by Varys. A bit of a spy story how they stole the eggs from underneath the noses of the Targaryens.

I never got the fascination with Asshai. I would find it more interesting if Varys and Illyrio had eggs from the Targaryens. That would probably make for a good D&E story or story by Varys. A bit of a spy story how they stole the eggs from underneath the noses of the Targaryens.

At least for me the interest is because I'm into the fantasy part of the story more than I am into the "Game of Thrones". I want to know what is in the Land of Always Winter and what is the truth that Quaithe offers Dany which lies in Asshai.

Do we have any evidence that the Targaryens had a stash of eggs that Illyrio or Varys could have heisted? I'm tempted to say that if the Targs had eggs during I/V's lifetime and they went missing it would have come up by now. It doesn't seem like Viserys and Dany grew up hearing stories of Targs having dragon eggs anymore... :(

I may be misremembering but didn't the Blackfyre tried to steal some eggs during the rebellion? It will be a nice irony if Varys is a Blackfyre loyalist, and succeed whit the egg robbery, but the eggs return and hatched for a Targaryen anyways :P

ETA:

Well, by the time of D&E Targaryen still have eggs to place at the cradle of every Targ infant, and the tragedy of Summerhall happened because they were trying to hatch some eggs, and that was only 40 years ago (259 AL)

Do we have any evidence that the Targaryens had a stash of eggs that Illyrio or Varys could have heisted? I'm tempted to say that if the Targs had eggs during I/V's lifetime and they went missing it would have come up by now. It doesn't seem like Viserys and Dany grew up hearing stories of Targs having dragon eggs anymore... :(

Yet Viserys never says anything about a "family stash" after Dany is given the eggs meaning this whole "family stash" probably doesn't exist, since Dany would have reflected on a story Viserys told her about the "stash"

Maybe it only existed before Summerhall.

My guess is that Jahaerys the second got rid of them to prevent any more Targaryen foolery after the events of summerhall.

Pretty much my point the "stash" doesn't exist anymore, probably either all eggs were destroyed after summerhall or Jaeherys sold or got rid of them to prevent any Targaryen foolery.

As mad as Aerys if the "stash" existed he would of done worse things than his ancestors.

I wouldn't be surprised if Quaithe has been keeping tabs on Dany far longer than we suspect. I also suspect that just as the Stark kids were sent the direwolves so was Dany sent the dragons.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Tyrion ASOS

"It all goes back and back to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance in our steads."

It is known....

I need a bigger emoticon for that one.

I may be misremembering but didn't the Blackfyre tried to steal some eggs during the rebellion? It will be a nice irony if Varys is a Blackfyre loyalist, and succeed whit the egg robbery, but the eggs return and hatched for a Targaryen anyways :P

I'm not sure where I read it, but wasn't there a member of the KG who tried (and failed) to steal some eggs for Daemon I?

Archived