Dunk and Egg and Sansa Theory

Northernmonkey

That would totally fit several of my pet theories, nice catch! How does that tourney end in the Hedge Knight? I think that Sansa's true beau is not yet represented in the line-up.

You're right it could be that these are all failed marriages, and that she'll find someone else after that. Although I suspect that she'll fall head over heels in love with Aegon only to see him be tragically killed.

All of those relationships ended in failure. Joffrey discarded her to marry someone else. Tyrell never happened. They dropped her and let her take the fall for murder. Tyrion was a failure from the jump. Harry can be a failure too and so can Aegon.

I can see Aegon being like the first. There's talk but he marries someone else (Arianne).

IDK. I'd like to think that by the time Aegon is accepted by the realm as a possible political avenue that Sansa would have grown not to just like pretty boys and show some caution when it comes to men, instead of just marrying a 'charming prince' like she thought with Joffrey.

IDK. I'd like to think that by the time Aegon is accepted by the realm as a possible political avenue that Sansa would have grown not to just like pretty boys and show some caution when it comes to men, instead of just marrying a 'charming prince' like she thought with Joffrey.

From what we know Aegon's quite a nice guy who'd be perfect for Sansa. The only problem is that he's inevitably going to get killed.

That would totally fit several of my pet theories, nice catch! How does that tourney end in the Hedge Knight? I think that Sansa's true beau is not yet represented in the line-up.

It ends with Humphrey Hardyng dying in the Trial by Seven that is held in between the fights, while Valarr Targaryen goes on to win the tourney IIRC

Sansa is in team LF right now. She cant play for team Varys.

She's not going to be in team LF forever. And we don't actually know whether Aegon is playing for team Varys. We've never seen them together and Aegon seems quite independent in his decision making.

I think this is a pretty good theory. I also thought when I read the novella that it was weird have Hardyng in the lineup as opposed to some other smallhouse.

If Sansa were to marry Aegon, they´d parllel Henry Tudor and Elisabeth of York neatly, like some have pointed out. And we know war of roses does influence the storyline a lot.

I don't know how many of you saw my Emeralds thread. But one of the conclusions drawn suggests that we'll see a new dynasty formed that will be represented by sapphires, the previous two having been associated with rubies and emeralds.

What I thought that pointed to was a Stark dynasty, began by Jon Snow. However, one other option does present itself if you believe that sapphires = secrets – That (f)Aegon will become king. The secret, or lie, being that he'd be ruling as Aegon Targaryen when in reality he is Aegon Blackfyre/Mopatis.

Some food for thought.

maybe fAegon will cheat on Arianne with Sansa. Like father like son.

I'm certain Rhaegar isn't his father. If his father is Illyrio which I'm not sure on then he may cheat with various different women.

Aegon already had signs of being sexist given what he said about Cersei just being a woman and thus isn't a threat. His quick behavior switch on Dany after Tyrion talked to him. No one needs her. I'm the only one who matters. She will want me, etc.

I've long held the opinion that Aegon has written Sansa-bait all over him.

Other reasons why I think Aegon's going to be a contender:

1) Politics: Littlefinger's an opportunist. I have no idea whether Aegon is on his radar yet - probably not - but he certainly will be soon, since I predict fairly smooth sailing for Aegon in the beginning stages of his conquest. Aegon might have a particularly easy time in the Riverlands - lots of former Targ loyalists there, even Blackfyre ones in case Aegon's a cuckoo; lots of speculation that Tarly has had it with the Tyrells; lots of speculation that Aegon will get the support of the Faith of the Seven, who have Bonnifer Hastley holding Harrenhal. Now, there are also lots of reasons to speculate that Littlefinger is setting his sights on Riverrun. He'll have to deal with Aegon, one way or another, and I doubt he'll be keen on martial confrontation.

a) But why would Aegon even consider Sansa over Dany or Arianne?

Maybe he doesn't, seriously, but might still find it diplomatic to at least pretend to (as long as there's no news of Dany at least). Maybe he'll reintroduce Targ bigamy. Maybe Dany or Arianne do something to disqualify themselves. Maybe he feels sufficiently sure of their support already, considering that they are both relations?

Dany, at this point, might no longer be an option - she might have been poisoned against him (vision of the mummer's dragon; finding him tainted by his association with Illyrio and Varys, who she might discover incriminating evidence about in Pentos). Or Aegon might have given up on her, believing her dead. Or he might think he won't need her any longer, doing well enough without her. Or he might think she'll support him anyway, since she's his aunt. Or he might be in open conflict with her already. We can be pretty confident that they'll eventually end up on opposing side, with all that forshadowing of a second dance of dragons.

Arianne is a more complicated matter. But it's quite possible that the Martells are sufficiently motivated to throw in with Aegon anyway (Elia's boy! Their best shot at revenge against the Lannisters!), so why waste the marriage option to seal the alliance? I rather suspect he'll take Elia Sand as a paramour. She seems like the type to catch his eye, but not exactly marriage material. Maybe Arianne wants to use her option to seal another alliance to support their common cause.

Or maybe Aegon pulls a Robb and is just so charmed by Sansa that he disregards more pragmatic considerations.

b ) but Varys would never let it happen!

Sure, Varys probably won't be too happy about Littlefinger reappearing on the scene. Still, I trust Littlefinger to deal with that. Surely, they both have sufficient dirt on each other to fight it out in the shadows rather than launch any official campaigns. Frankly, the fact that a Sansa-Aegon courtship would necessitate a Littlefinger-Varys rematch makes the whole scenario more likely for me, not less. Those two have unfinished business. It would be too much of a waste of narrative potential _not_ to pit them against each other again.

2) Poetic Irony, Dramatic Potential

Littlefinger vs Varys rematch!

Stark vs Martell rematch? (Lyanna Stark: Elia Martell = Elia Sand: Sansa Stark; espically delicous considering that Elia Sand seems like such a great target for a certain faceless person maybe tasked with infiltrating Aegon's court....)

Perfect for Sansa's character arc - so far, Aegon seems very much like a fairy tale prince; he certainly looks the part and we can trust Varys to successfully sell him as such to the smallfolk. In short: perfect Sansa bait. But ultimately, she will have to ditch him, because he'll most probably end up in opposition to the rest of her family (at this point most likely allied with Stannis). Or maybe Arya is tasked to assassinate him (for opposing Dany, maye? The Faceless Men might well support her abolutionist agenda) and Sansa finds out and has to choose. This will be her chance to demonstrate what she has learned from the Joffrey debacle! What better way to show her character growth? I'm sure she won't choose the pretty boy over family a second time.

Somewhere in one of the app threads it was said that Doran's endgame was to have a Martell ruling alongside a Targaryen. That's what he wants. It makes sense. Elia didn't get to do it. Quentyn won't. Arianne is his next chance.

ETA:There's also the Arianne/Viserys match that didn't pan out either.

Archived