Dunk and Egg and Sansa Theory

Northernmonkey

It ends with Humphrey Hardyng dying in the Trial by Seven that is held in between the fights, while Valarr Targaryen goes on to win the tourney IIRC

Interesting. Very interesting. If the Aegon/Sansa match (or potential match) does appear, this could foreshadow HtH's death before he can be married to Sansa, while Aegon wins the "tourney" (which is all a show when it comes down to it, rather than a real fight) and gets Sansa's affection. However I feel if he wins the 'tourney' he will los the actual battle (Dance 2.0)

Somewhere in one of the app threads it was said that Doran's endgame was to have a Martell ruling alongside a Targaryen. That's what he wants. It makes sense. Elia didn't get to do it. Quentyn won't. Arianne is his next chance.

ETA:There's also the Arianne/Viserys match that didn't pan out either.

Maybe they'll have learned at this point that it's just not a lucky combination?

I suspect that Doran might not be long for this world, in his current state of health. And Arianne might have grown and matured enough to let go of that particular ambition. (She might also be satisfied with Sunspear after all.)

Interesting. Very interesting. If the Aegon/Sansa match (or potential match) does appear, this could foreshadow HtH's death before he can be married to Sansa, while Aegon wins the "tourney" (which is all a show when it comes down to it, rather than a real fight) and gets Sansa's affection. However I feel if he wins the 'tourney' he will los the actual battle (Dance 2.0)

I could very much see it playing out like this. Aegon seems set-up for getting massively over-hyped. He's probably not worse than Renley - confident, charming, looks the part - but he's very probably not all Varys sells him as either.

The tourney he wins effectively being all show is an interesting aspect - would fit with my theory that the Sand Snakes and the Faith are going to hand him King's Landing on a platter. I don't see Aegon having to do all that much fighting for real (before Dany's arrival that is).

Valarr died of the Great Spring sickness a year later. Might be foreshadowing for fAegon contracting greyscale.

And no, Aegon being fake doesn't break the pattern. Joffrey is no Baratheon but would be paralleled by Lyonel Baratheon. Some think Tyrion is a Targ but he would be represented by Ser Tybolt Lannister.

One more point: In the story, both Lyonel Baratheon and Humfrey Harding (i.e. Joff and Harry?) fight on the same side in the Trial of Seven, with none of the other champions participating.

Maybe they'll have learned at this point that it's just not a lucky combination?

I suspect that Doran might not be long for this world, in his current state of health. And Arianne might have grown and matured enough to let go of that particular ambition. (She might also be satisfied with Sunspear after all.)

They can think this time it will be done right. Besides, it's a perfect way for GRRM to have the Martell start dying. They have a marriage tie to the losing side.

There are indications of the opposite in Arianne's spoiler chapters and she may want to respect her father's dying wish.

Valarr died of the Great Spring sickness a year later. Might be foreshadowing for fAegon contracting greyscale.

And no, Aegon being fake doesn't break the pattern. Joffrey is no Baratheon but would be paralleled by Lyonel Baratheon. Some think Tyrion is a Targ but he would be represented by Ser Tybolt Lannister.

One more point: In the story, both Lyonel Baratheon and Humfrey Harding (i.e. Joff and Harry?) fight on the same side in the Trial of Seven, with none of the other champions participating.

That seems reasonable. Since tPatQ I was wondering if he might end up like Aegon II. Badly injured and burnt, but survives after being 'off-screen' for much of the action, only to emerge the winner. At least temporarily.

Another possibility, and iirc, Fire Eater mentioned this a while back, is that "the moment when all the smiles died" could foreshadow (f)Aegon, a dragon prince, winning the greatest tourney of them all – aka, the game of the thrones – and crowning a Sansa, a wolf maid, as his queen (of love and beauty). Rhaegar bypassing Elia could even be a stand in for (f)Aegon choosing Sansa over the Dornish Arianne, which is what everybody seems to expect. Just as they expected Rhaegar to crown Elia.

Of course I have some different ideas about that scene, but I don't think it has to be one or the other. It might make sense for it to be both, as they would nicely bookend the story in that case.

Maybe it suggests that Harry is nuts too.

I've just read a new theory about Dunk and Egg that I thought you might be interested in. Sorry if it's been discussed before.

At the Ashford Tourney in The Hedge Knight, the fair maid's champions are:

• Lyonel Baratheon
  • Leo Tyrell
  • Tybolt Lannister
  • Humphrey Hardyng
  • Valarr Targaryen

Which correspond with all of Sansa's love interests, with the exception of the Targaryan. Is that a clue that Sansa and Aegon are going to get together?

No, Aegon is a Blackfyre. Sansa & Jon. Or even better yet, Sansa & Dany. Now there's an HBO episode I'd like to see!

[...]

[...]

You know what's another pattern in this list? Quite a few of these guys are argueably poised to succeed men who are not their biological fathers...

Joffrey - succeeded Robert Baratheon on the Iron Throne, not his biological son.

Tyrion - might succeed Tywin as Lord of Casterly Rock/Hand of the King (I give him higher chances than Jaime and Cersei at this point), who's quite possibly not his biological dad

Harry - supposed to succeed Jon Arryn as Lord of the Eerie, who's not his biological dad

Aegon - derives his claim to the Iron Throne from Rhaegar, who's quite possibly not his biological dad

Of course, a lot of this is based on yet unconfirmed speculation and rumours. And it also leaves out Willas, whose legitimacy hasn't been drawn into question so far. But who knows who Willas is going to succeed.... maybe he won't end up as Lord of High Garden, but rather as something else...

A ver good catch, who ever it found! It brought back all my initial hopes of Sansa ruling aside a true Aegon in the end. Maybe GRRM will end it with never making clear whether or not he's a Blackfyre? Sounds like something he would do. Now all this theory needs is a sexy name to spread out over the internet.

A ver good catch, who ever it found! It brought back all my initial hopes of Sansa ruling aside a true Aegon in the end. Maybe GRRM will end it with never making clear whether or not he's a Blackfyre? Sounds like something he would do. Now all this theory needs is a sexy name to spread out over the internet.

Credit goes to the clever person who made this website: http://nobodysuspectsthebutterfly.tumblr.com/post/28846787945/re-reading-the-hedge-knight-for-the-bazillionth

I was looking for Dunk and Egg theories and there's a few interesting ones. You've probably heard the one that Brienne and Hodor are descended from Dunk. There's also loads of evidence that Bloodraven was actually Ser Maynard Plumm in The Mystery Knight.

Well, as I said the other relationships are failures. Even the one she married it was never consummated and most of the marriage they won't even be near each other. There is negativity surrounding all of them.

Dany has to slay the lie. Based on Valarr Aegon can get greyscale and may never have children. I wonder if Aegon will infect anyone. I always thought Connington may give it to him. It's a payoff for having a contagious man around a lot of people.

I think if Aegon contracts greyscale and turns out to actually be Rhaegar's son... can you imagine JonCon? Its typical GRRM. Or (f)Aegon winning the Iron Throne only to.contract greyscale. Whether the tourney really does foreshadow potential matches for Sansa, I have become convinced Aegon will die from greyscale.

Nice catch! The idea of Aegon and Sansa together has crossed my mind several times, the irony would be exquisite, especially if Aegon is already married with Arianne, it would be history repeating itself!!

However that would be problem for me because I want things to work out well for Sansa and I don't think things are going to work out well for Aegon, so...

Jon Con face when he finds out about his boy new love would be hilarious though!! He might even die sooner!! :laugh:

Archived