Football 61 - The Story Continues

Alex.

I hope not. But they might. The best case scenario is Moyes squeaking through into fourth with a late encouraging resurgence only to immediately crash back into mediocrity for another season.

That does sound humorous, but I'd rather if they didn't qualify at all. Mostly because I NEED Liverpool to qualify, it's been too long without champions league football. This is the season Liverpool get back in there. Best case scenario is them not qualifying but for whatever reason they decide to give him one more year to sort things out. I wanna see United do the reverse Man City. Crashing into mediocrity is a good way to put it.

wow. since 2003.

well, that is a decade and he could be a 15 year old kid for all we know ;)

That's because gloryhunters support successful teams.

'90s were obviously a rather grim period, with one f.a. cup and one league cup total bu since 2000, liverpool have managed to win quite a bit:

• champions league 2004/05 (managed one more final in 2007)

f.a. cup 2001, 2006

league cup 2001, 2003, 2012

uefa cup 2001

european super cup 2001, 2005

charity shield 2001, 2006

obviously, they haven't managed to win the premier league but were second in 2002 and 2009 so it's not as if they were getting stomped.

could you imagine what they could've won with howard webb and fergie time in their corner? :P

Liverpool have got fucking loads of gloryhunting supporters all over the world!

I can testify to this. I went to see Thailand vs. Liverpool a few years back when I was in Bangkok, and they filled the national stadium with Liverpool fans (they cheered for Torres, Gerrard and Thailand. Game was a 1-1 draw). I was amused to notice that the taxi rank I had to walk past on the way to the train station had "You'll Never Walk Alone" scrawled on the wall.

That's not to say that everyone in Thailand falls into the 'gloryhunting' category - I do remember seeing an article in the newspaper consoling the Prime Minister of the time, as he was a Newcastle fan and they'd just been relegated!

ST

Me being an American supporter of LFC automatically constitutes me being a gloryhunter or plastic in most European eyes most likely.
How does a foreign fan go about choosing a team to support, I know why my old middle school self chose LFC but still it's an interesting question

Anyway got up early and watched Milan, Kaka played brilliantly. Scoring his 100th and 101st for the club. Good to see him back there.

There is very little you can do to avoid being seen as a plastic, and certainly you and I didn't grow up there and lack the local ties, so to some extent it's understandable. It happens that mine is a perennial underdog, but I often worry that I will be judged poorly for supporting West Ham because of Green Street Hooligans, a movie that I've never seen and that I understand is quite bad.

My advice is to ignore it, and not prove them right by swapping allegiances when things go south, as they currently are at United.

Edit: why DID you pick Liverpool?

My advice is to ignore it, and not prove them right by swapping allegiances when things go south, as they currently are at United.

That's the key. You look like a right bellend if you do that.

Not about really where you were born as such in my view, more about a) sticking with them and b ) that when you originally pick your team you don't just look at the team winning everything and decide on them. That makes you look like a real gloryhunter. The geographical element is really even less important these days bearing in mind that if you're a crazy enough fan you can stream many teams' U18 pre season games nowadays from anywhere in the world.

ETA: Indicentally, that is why i find this worldwide conglomerate of Man United fans who are currently throwing their toys out of the pram and comparing David Moyes to AIDS to be highly amusing. The first sign of hardship and they're gone.

Oi, that's what I did!

With Liverpool and Everton vying for the title, I decided to support the team that eventually won the league.

I meant that part more for our out of country-ers :)

I fucked up anyway. Gloryhunting at a club that rarely bloody wins anything. :bang:

:lol:

The geographical element is really even less important these days bearing in mind that if you're a crazy enough fan you can stream many teams' U18 pre season games nowadays from anywhere in the world.

Liverpools game yesterday was the first first team game I remember in years where there wasn't a stream available

Me being an American supporter of LFC automatically constitutes me being a gloryhunter or plastic in most European eyes most likely.

How does a foreign fan go about choosing a team to support, I know why my old middle school self chose LFC but still it's an interesting question

Supported Chelsea because I watched one EPL game and it was the one where they lost to United 1-0 (thank you Darren Fletcher) and everyone was so fucking happy. And then, after a got a management sim all the other big teams were taken. The natural response of course, is to pick the team that everyone hated the most. Didn't even realize that they were champions until after iirc. So instinctive gloryhunting.

Walcott out for 6 months then. Arsenal's annual post-Christmas mid season injury collapse continues...

Obviously bad news for England's World Cup too

Sigh. The hits just keep on coming. Time for the Rise of Serge Gnabry. Only real positive to come out of this, that and maybe Wenger will buy a striker.

I'm gutted for Walcott though. Won't get an opportunity to play in the WC until he's 29 after being selected at 17.

The geographical element is really even less important these days bearing in mind that if you're a crazy enough fan you can stream many teams' U18 pre season games nowadays from anywhere in the world.

I don't entirely agree with that. I do still think growing up surrounded by the culture of the fans of the club and, perhaps just as important, the fans of your local rivals does have a certain amount of significance. That doesn't make fans not from the local catchment area of clubs not proper fans or anything, I've certainly met plenty of fairly rabid Liverpool fans from thousands of miles away from Merseyside, but I do think it does take a little more effort from them to really immerse themselves in the culture of the club.

I perhaps wasnt clear enough before. I absolutely think supporting your local team is important and I think that the folks on here not from the UK miss out on an awful lot from terrace singing to the feel of the local history. Growing up surrounded by your fans is just brilliant.

What I was (clumsily) trying to get across is that theres a difference between plastic Cockney Fred The Red and 'plastic' fans from abroad who are just as passionate about their teams but happen not to be born there, if any of that makes sense?

Archived