Football 61 - The Story Continues

Alex.

I picked Liverpool after I saw the 2005 UCL final, I

Juventus on the other hand I didn't pick, Juventus picked me. My father was always a massive Juve fan and he had numerous vhs tapes filled with nothing but serie a.

You are history's greatest monster.

Camilo circus update: it sounds increasingly like a shady agent thing followed by the club thinking they could force Vancouver's hand. Those tweets from Querétaro have been deleted, but it may yet come to that -- Vancouver fans, and the FO, are furious. It might be that the other parties have goaded the Caps into selling rather than welcoming him back.

I hope that doesn't happen. The agent doesn't deserve to succeed after that stunt; Querétaro were told a week ago that Camilo was under contract, and did this shit anyway, and they don't deserve a favorable outcome either. Camilo himself, who knows -- might be him, might be his agent whispering in his ear. If it's him then I hope the Caps crush his career. But really, I hope it's not him.

Something glorious is happening to United.I approve.

Also; Moyes is gonna get a major transfer boost apparently. After all this saying, about not making any transfers in January.

I would be worried,but Ed Woodward is still probably going to be in charge.

Jermaine Defoe to...Toronto?

http://soccer.si.com/2014/01/07/jermain-defoe-tottenham-toronto-fc-mls-transfer/

A January transfer that would bring Tottenham forward Jermain Defoe to Toronto FC is “not done yet, but close,” a high-ranking Toronto source tells SI.com. The English international has received a lucrative offer from Toronto in the club’s efforts to make a big splash courtesy of Tim Leiweke, the president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (aka the Man who Landed David Beckham for the Los Angeles Galaxy).

http://soccer.si.com/2014/01/07/jermain-defoe-tottenham-toronto-fc-mls-transfer/

A January transfer that would bring Tottenham forward Jermain Defoe to Toronto FC is “not done yet, but close,” a high-ranking Toronto source tells SI.com. The English international has received a lucrative offer from Toronto in the club’s efforts to make a big splash courtesy of Tim Leiweke, the president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (aka the Man who Landed David Beckham for the Los Angeles Galaxy).

Far out. Didn't know Defoe was getting ready to retire.

Two things that the mention of Jermain Defoe always brings to mind:

1) The guy I used to coach with having a laugh about Defoe pissing off his coach at English national team practice by using his cellphone.

2) DJDonegal talking about how one of his grammar school teachers said it was a good thing that Defoe (who apparently went to the same school as DJD) was good with his feet, because his brain wasn't taking him anywhere.

Oh, and there was that five goal game he had against Wigan where he had one of the fastest hat tricks in EPL history. That was awesome. (And yet I remember that as much for some boarder linking a video of highlights from that game in an old WC qualifying thread with text along the lines of "This is how you respond to a handball in the box." Why does my brain work this way? Is it the beer?)

In Norway, they chose to drop showing the Spurs vs. Palace match live on Saturday, opting for showing Solskjær's managerial PL debut instead (with the one match limit on Saturdays at 4 (or 3 on the isles)). This was not a popular move among Spurs fan here, and as a compensation an invitation to watch the match at the TV station dropped in my mail box.

Regarding the discussion upthread about overseas support for PL clubs, I've been a fan of Spurs since I was a kid and got a Spurs shirt as a gift. My brother got an Arsenal shirt, but he ended up on the black team instead, without any favourite clubs that I'm avare of. Following Spurs at the end of the 70'ies, early 80'ies, was hardly 'glory hunting'.

Been rumoured for ages, but i'll be surprised if he's willing to go to America in a world cup year.

Depends on his aspirations for further caps. In general, for a European player, moving to the MLS spells the end of their potential national team career while they are there, unless they are in a position where their spot on the team is more or less uncontested.

ETA: FIFA just announced that the Qatar WC will be held sometime in November through January, rather than during the summer.

Archived