February Reads! Winter Is Here!

Ghjhero

I finally finished Belly of the Bow by KJ Parker last night.

Much of the book felt like a complete slog - but the last 100 pages or so picked up nicely and finished strong. Really not sure about what I think of the "magic" in this series. It's really odd and I don't think I care for it. I like Parker's other books I've read (the Engineer trilogy and The Folding Knife) more because of the lack of magic in them. I think this series would be better without all of that, but I am assuming it'll all get explained in the final book.

I can't go on to the third book right now though. Need a break from Parker before that. So... I'll probably start Sand by Hugh Howey tonight. Looks like the whole thing is under 300 pages, so I may get through the whole thing this weekend.

Finished The Barrow by Mark Smylie. I don't know what to say, it is the best fantasy debut I have read in two years, and the first new series in that time frame with enough depth to be worth actually discussing. Not for everyone, it features more sex than Bakker and will probably be just as polarizing. I will save further talk for the inevitable spoiler thread. I was also given an opportunity to give away a copy, open internationally. So, ya know, feel free to enter here.

Next up is Honor's Knight by Rachael Bach. Though I am over half done already because these books are pure crack.

Nearly finished Remembrance Day. It's definitely picked up, and there have been some twists that I didn't see coming, so I'm enjoying it more.

Not sure what to read next, my TRP is pretty big. And last night I broke my rule of not buying any more books until I've read all the ones I already have. Oops.

I'm feeli.g pretty bad right now, and not really in the mood for any great masterpiece that is full of complexities and whatnot. That said, I still want somethig to read, otherwise i will be bored out of my mind (i'm in hospital for the foreseeable future). Can someone recommend something trashy but enjoyable thats an easy read?

Depends what kind of books you're looking for me. Some of my favorite lighter books are Philippa Gregory, but that sort of historical romance isn't for everyone.

I just started Christopher Moore's A Dirty Job for a book club meeting this Wednesday. Amusing so far, although I am a bit put off by the constant 'beta male' shit. Reminds me of PA.

I'm feeli.g pretty bad right now, and not really in the mood for any great masterpiece that is full of complexities and whatnot. That said, I still want somethig to read, otherwise i will be bored out of my mind (i'm in hospital for the foreseeable future). Can someone recommend something trashy but enjoyable thats an easy read?

As Starkess said, Philippa Gregory is a good bet if historical fiction is your thing - I tend to turn to it when I'm ill too. Otherwise Leah Fleming is quite good, particularly The Captain's Daughter. It's a bit difficult to recommend anything without knowing more information on what you like. Speedy recovery! :)

I started and almost finished The Day I Died by Polly Courtney last night. An interesting premise - girl has amnesia after a bomb hits a club she's in, runs away and starts a new life under a different identity - but it's probably not executed in the best way. I don't particularly care about Jo/Rebecca, I just want to find out why she ran away from the blast.

Just finishing up my reread of The Silmarillion. It's as epic as epic gets but I can't help feeling a sense of relief that I'm almost done.

It could probably have used a little levity but where to put it, I dunno (especially since I was most affected by the Tale of the Children of Hurin).

That said, I will have to go through another reread cause I lost track of what happened to most of Feanor's sons and didn't realize they were down to two.

Just finishing up my reread of The Silmarillion. It's as epic as epic gets but I can't help feeling a sense of relief that I'm almost done.

It could probably have used a little levity but where to put it, I dunno (especially since I was most affected by the Tale of the Children of Hurin).

That said, I will have to go through another reread cause I lost track of what happened to most of Feanor's sons and didn't realize they were down to two.

:lol: I get that sometimes too. I'll be reading the Silmarillion and suddenly, damn, who's this guy and where did xyz go?! Anyone I lose track of goes to Ungoliant i. my mind :D

Thank youfor those who made suggestions. I was in a very crappy mood so please forgive the lack of information in the post. I will take a look at what you have suggested

I'm about 40% into Toll the Hounds, I have to say I don't get the hate. It's not the best Malazan book, probably, nor the second best, but it's good. Kruppe can get obnoxious after a while, but that's just the way he is. :lol: I don't mind the introspective characters.

Archived